Corn Tomato and Avocado Salad

I needed to make something for our monthly cooking club that could be made without a kitchen. I decided to do some sort of a side and when I saw this recipe I knew we’d all love it. It’s actually very similar to the summer salsa that I make on a regular basis.

I added cilantro to the dish because everyone loves cilantro, right? I know that people tend to either love it or hate it, and I’m definitely a cilantro lover.

This salad makes a great side dish for any summer cookout. And it’s so easy to throw together. I mixed everything together except the avocado a day in advance. Then right before serving, the avocado is added.

Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad – from Cooking This and That – makes 4 servings
10 ounces frozen corn, thawed completely
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
cilantro to taste

Combine corn, tomatoes, scallions in large bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper (and cilantro) and pour over vegetables. Chill for 1-4 hours.

When ready to serve, add gently fold in avocado and allow salad to come to room temperature. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.

6 Responses to “Beet Smoothies”

Bree — July 16, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I love everything about this! Thank you so much for sharing this.

Tara — September 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm

i have a few questions regarding freezing smoothies. I have been told that every day you have a smoothie in the fridge, nutrients are lost. Is this true with freezing as well? Can I expect to have the same exact nutrition in a two day old smoothie as in one prepared five minutes ago? And lastly, how would thaw a smoothie that has been frozen? It seems like putting them in the fridge overnight to thaw would defeat the objective of trying to retain nutrient quality. Any thoughts?

• beantownbaker — September 26th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I’m not sure about what happens to the nutrients when you freeze a smoothie…

To thaw it out, I just put it in the fridge overnight. I freeze smoothies for convenience.

Cyndi — March 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm

What is the calorie count per serving

tonia — August 22, 2014 at 8:05 am