The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

I’ve been hearing that whoopie pies are the new cupcake. I’m not sure how I feel about that statement. Whoopie pies do have some similar attributes to cupcakes. You can make them with just about any cake and frosting combination you can think of. And they’re portable. You can make thing big or small.

The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

I decided to give whoopie pies a shot. I used my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe for the cake/cookie part. When I started to think about filling options, I kept coming back to the jar of salted caramel sauce I had in the fridge. I whipped up a few batches of the caramel sauce to give for holiday gifts and still had half a jar left for me and Hubby to enjoy.

The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

I knew I could make caramel frosting but I really wanted the caramel to shine on it’s own. Then one morning, it hit me. Marshmallow frosting. But not just any marshmallow frosting. Toasted marshmallow frosting. I mean, marshmallow frosting is great, but when you toast it – WOW.

The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

So there you have it. These Ultimate Whoopie Pies are composed of chocolate cake, toasted marshmallow frosting, and salted caramel sauce. Seriously, these are the best whoopie pies ever. I decided to make these guys in the shape of a football since I was sharing them with friends at a football watching party.

The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

Marshmallow frosting doesn’t hold up very well, so you can make the caramel sauce and the cake parts in advance. Then make the marshmallow frosting and assemble the whoopie pies the day that you plan to serve them.

Three Years Ago: Apple Spice Bars
Four Years Ago: Lemon Meringue Cup-pies

Print Save

The Ultimate Whoopie Pies

These really are the ultimate whoopie pies - with toasted marshmallow frosting and salted caramel sauce sandwiched between chocolate cake.

Yield: 18 whoopie pies

Ingredients:

1 batch chocolate cupcake batter
salted caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
1 batch marshmallow frosting (recipe below)

For the Marshmallow Frosting
8 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

For the Marshmallow Frosting
Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.

Transfer frosting to a large pastry bag fitted with a large plain round or French tip. Pipe frosting in a spiral motion on each cupcake. Transfer cupcakes to a baking sheet. Using a kitchen torch, lightly brown the frosting, taking care not to burn the cupcake liners. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container, up to 2 days.

For the Whoopie Pies

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Once cupcake batter is ready to use, transfer to a piping bag with a medium round tip. Pipe batter into a small circle ~2” in diameter. If making football shaped whoopie pies, pipe into a football shape.

Bake for 8 minutes or until done. Allow to cool on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

Pair up the whoopie pies to similar sized and shaped pairs.

Once they have cooled completely, pipe a generous amount of marshmallow frosting onto one of each of the pairs. Toast the marshmallow frosting with a small kitchen torch.

Drizzle with salted caramel sauce. Top with matching whoopie pie pair.

Cake from Joanne Chang. Marshmallow frosting from Martha Stewart. Salted Caramel Sauce from Cooks Illustrated, as seen on Erin's Food Files

16 Responses to “Homemade Milky Way Candy Bars”

KV — October 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those look good too. Are homemade butterfingers next? I have a recipe I’m going to try out soon.

Jen — October 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Butterfingers would be tasty, but I’ve got something else coming on Friday…

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OH YUM! I really want to try these but I’m horrible at dipping things too.

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is exactly what my son’s been asking me to do. You’re making it hard to say no – they look perfect!

Kimmy Bingham — October 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

Why do you tempt me so? Milky Ways are my favorites. This is so worth trying 🙂

Smitten Sugar — October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yum these look delicious! I love Milky ways

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Well they look pretty perfect to me! And super delicious too.

Kerstin — October 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I’m so intrigued by the cool whip/chocolate mixture for the filling! These look so yummy and addicting!

Miss Yunks — October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

These look so cute and much easier than the milky ways and snickers I made a few months ago. I made mine in muffin wrappers so I didn’t dip them, just layered the chocolate, nougat, caramel, and chocolate! They came out pretty tasty but was a lot of work!

Rachael Pergler — October 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

I just tried these and they didn’t come out as I’d hoped. The chocolate and whipped cream mix was too sticky and wouldn’t harden. Did I do something wrong? Also what if you can’t find kraft caramel?

Jen — October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Rachael – Sorry to hear they didn’t turn out for you. The center part was a bit sticky while dipping and wasn’t super hard… Any caramel would work for this recipe, I just use the Kraft kind that comes individually wrapped.

K — November 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would put melted chocolate in the pan first, freeze, then the chocolate mixture, then the caramel. Then you can spoon melted chocolate on top. Would this work? (It solves the dipping problem too!)

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

That could definitely work… The caramel might ooze out when you gut them though… Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Rick — October 31, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hope you are not using Cool Whip which is all trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup. I’m looking for a healthier alternative to the store bought Milky Way. Perhaps a recipe for homemade whip ?

Linda — December 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These were a DISASTER. I wasted my morning and a lot of ingredients. The chocolate mixture was so sticky when cutting into squares. The directions did not state whether to add water to the caramels when melting so I didn’t…the caramels ended up thick and so sticky, I had trouble putting it on the chocolate layer. Dumped the whole mess out since I didn’t want to waste a bag of milk chocolate chips to coat them. I have been baking my entire life (60 +) and never had a recipe go like that.

360 health tips — December 11, 2017 at 9:45 am

Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all
    blog visitors, due to it’s good articles or reviews