What’s your secret?

Since joining the Daring Bakers 3 months ago, I have been challenged every month. This month was no exception. When I told hubby that the recipe for this month was a lemon meringue pie, his first response was “Oh my Mom makes a great lemon meringue pie.” Oh great! I have to compete with his mother.
Since we met, I have done a good job to not try to out-do her in any of his favorites. It’s just easier for everyone if he doesn’t have to choose me over her. His all time favorite dessert is blueberry pie and he loves mine, but I usually use a store-bought pie crust. This provides him with an easy out for why he likes his mom’s blueberry pie better since she makes her crusts. Well there will be no excuse with this pie. I’ll be making everything from scratch, the same way she does it (although with a different recipe). Talk about pressure…

Throughout the month, I’ve been trying to figure out when to make this pie. Hubby and I don’t need to eat an entire pie ourselves but with all the stories of weeping meringues and soggy crusts, I didn’t want to take it to work either… (Be sure to check out all the other Daring Baker‘s pies) I needed an event in the evening on the weekend. Then it dawned on me. I recently joined a group who meets once a month and everyone brings food and we watch a movie. They do a theme every month. This month’s theme is secret recipe. HOW PERFECT! While most people brought secret family recipes, I brought something that literally was a secret recipe. It was the best of both worlds. And since the potluck was the night before the big reveal, I figured it was ok to share the secret with a bunch of non-blogging friends. Sorry to break the rules about keeping the recipe a secret.

I decided to make cupcake sized pies to accommodate the potluck setting and the fact that I love cupcakes. Also, this way I’d be able to have one for pictures at home and not have to explain to my new acquaintances why I was taking pictures of the pie after the first piece was cut…

Now onto the baking of the cupcakes! As I mentioned, I’ve never made a crust before, so I didn’t really know what to expect. I do have a pastry cutter, so I was excited to use it! As usual, I got all my ingredients measured and ready to go prior to starting.

My dough was very crumbly after I turned it onto my Silpat. I shaped it into a disk they best I could, but I couldn’t pick it up to wrap it in plastic wrap. Instead, I just put plastic and a clean towel over the dough and put the Silpat onto a cookie sheet and stuck the whole thing in the fridge. I had to knead the dough quite a bit to be able to roll it out.
I used a prep-bowl that had a 4″ edge to cut my dough. I used a sharp knife and ran it along the outside of the overturned dough to cut my circles. Then I pressed each circle into the cupcake pan. The recipe made 12 cupcake crusts.

As you can see the crust got smaller as it baked. I think it’ll still turn out okay at this point. I prepped all my meringue and filling ingredients while the crust was baking (the 5 egg yolks go in the filling and the egg whites go in the meringue). I read that since you want to put the meringue onto the filling while it’s hot, it might be a good idea to actually make the meringue first so that it’s ready to go. So that’s what I did.
The meringue came together quite well. I followed the directions for the lemon curd exactly and it came out perfectly. It held up nicely and tasted AMAZING. Perfectly tart.

I had quite a bit of the lemon curd left since I wasn’t able to put very much into the cupcake pie crusts. I used an ice-cream scoop to put a big dollop of meringue on top of the filling. I made them look spikey cause it’s fun 🙂

I am very proud to admit that my filling held up nice and sturdy even after about 6 hours. These little guys were heavenly. Everyone at the potluck asked for the recipe.

Thanks to our host Jen for this lovely recipe! I really enjoyed making my lemon meringue cup-pies. Click HERE for the complete recipe (I figure this post is long enough already!)

34 Responses to “Spicy Peach Jalapeno Jam”

Shannon — September 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

ooh, i am drooling thinking about this over melty brie!! fabulous 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

It’s definitely as good as it sounds.

Queen Sashy — September 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

what a lovely jam! there are still some peaches at the market and i need to make this asap.

Claudia — September 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Sounds wonderful! When do you add the liquid pectin and how long do you let it boil after you add it?

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

Sorry about the mistake in the recipe, I have updated the recipe to reflect when to add the pectin.

Rima — September 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

That sounds delicious, but when do we add the pectin, and can we use powdered pectin instead of the liquid one? Thank you so much…

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I’m still new to canning, but I read in the Ball book that you can’t swap different kinds of pectin and should only use what the recipe calls for…

Loretta — September 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

when do you add the pectin ??????

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Kelly — September 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

How long does this keep?

• beantownbaker — September 28th, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

If you process the jars in a water bath, they will be fine on a shelf for up to a year. Once opened, you want to refrigerate it and it will keep for about a month in the fridge.

Toni — June 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

The number of cups of chopped peaches would be very helpful. Also, are the pectin pouches 3 or 6 oz?

Megan Wilson — July 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm

The flavor was outstanding! However, it never fully set-up into a jelly. It was more of a jam/thick sauce – even after re-processing with a 2nd pack of pectin (I gave in and used the powder) On my other batches, I used 2 dry packs – and I’m not sure if those will even set correctly. 🙁

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear this didn’t set up for you…

Nick — July 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

With sealed jars what is the shelf life of something like this?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

In general, I would try to open them within 6 months. I have kept jars of jam for up to a year without any problems.

Lindsay L — July 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

This is my second year making this and i just wanted to tell you that it is outstanding. i’m sure others are wondering about yield — I got 9 half-pints from one batch. How long do you process this? I did 15 mins to err on the side of caution. Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

I always process for 10 minutes.

Dee Ann — August 2, 2014 at 11:52 am

Does this make the five half-pint jars shown or does it make more? Since everything sort of comes together at the end in canning (hot jam, sterilized jars, etc., and boiling water) I like to know ahead of time how many jars to prepare. Thanks.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

It made 6 jars for me. It will depend how big your peaches are too.

Roxanne Riddle — August 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

With my jams, I usually use real lemon juice, but not in such large quantity,Did you use fresh or “jarred” lemon juice?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

Yes, I use jarred lemon juice here.

Blaire Prince — August 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm

According to “foodinjars.com” you can substitute 2 TBSP powdered pectin for 1 pouch of liquid pectin. 🙂 just thought I’d share that little tidbit! This recipe is FANTASTIC! Thanks Jen!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

krista jackson — August 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am looking forward to making this jam this evening!! I was seaching for a recipe for peach and jalapeno jam and this one caught my eye! Because you posted it my the day I was married, then reading your story and that you live in Cincy! I was born and raised north of that area!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Small world! I hope you enjoyed this jam.

Kim — August 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

This recipe should come with a warning label. I feel like I just made crack. I changed it up a bit and used cherries instead of peaches. I was having a hard time finding a cherry pepper recipe and had cherries in my freezer needing evicted and this one looked so good I used it as my baseline. THANK YOU for sharing it! If you are interested, it was a mix of sweet and tart cherries, and I added an extra jalapeno to a double batch. I just got done putting up nearly 11 pints of the stuff and am sitting here like a child licking the residue off my ladle it is that freaking good. Definitely recommend you try it with cherries some day if you like them. I am picking peaches this weekend and will definitely be making this as posted because I am sure it is divine. Ive been making jams and jellies since i was a child and this is the best one yet. Thank you again, can’t wait to try it properly with peaches!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Cherries! What a great change. I’m goign to have to try that out.

Bonnie Kandalec — September 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm

It would have been nice to know how many jars I would need to make this recipe!!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

I got 6 jars. I’ll update the recipe to reflect the yield.

Christine — July 10, 2015 at 7:39 am

Oooooh. I am making this this weekend – thanks for a fantastic-looking recipe!

Sam — July 12, 2015 at 9:04 pm

First time jam maker. Went to the farmer’s market this weekend and bought peaches and jalapenos (along with a bunch of other stuff). Thought I’d try my hand at making a jam/jelly because we love it on pork chops. This recipe was perfect. Thanks for sharing… and thank you to Google for popping it towards the top of the search list. Thank you Beantown Baker!

Daina — July 27, 2015 at 2:28 pm

How long do you need to water bath can it??

McCaverty — August 16, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Made this today – delicious but decidedly soupy. I thought maybe once it cooled it would set up more, but no.