Chocolate and Peanut Butter – Oh My!

I absolutely love chocolate. Hubby – not so much. The only way I can get him to eat chocolate is when I contaminate it with other things. But I don’t mind mixing in some peanut butter – what a great combination!

I had been hearing great things about this recipe so I had to give it a try. I even got hubby to help with adding the peanut butter!

We both loved the cupcake in it’s finished state. It was the first time I had ever made a from-scratch chocolate cake. The cake itself wasn’t very chocolatey, but the finished product was amazing. I will definitely be making these again sometime!

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate (cup)Cake (2 WW pts – 5 pts with frosting and PB filling) From the back of the Cocoa box or here (Makes ~2 dozen)
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Frosting (2 WW pts)
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar – I used 2 1/2 cups
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Peanut Butter Filling (1 WW pt)
Mix 1 cup of peanut butter (I used low-fat JIF creamy) with about 2 Tbsp powdered sugar.

To assemble, we used the cone method as described here. It worked well with a helper 🙂 I cut the cones out, and hubby spooned in the PB mixture. Then I replaced the cones and frosted the top of the cupcake.

Note: The batter is VERY THIN… as in liquid.

13 Responses to “Chocolate M&M Cookies”

Katie — October 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Jen, I totally love your blog. You always ahve the BEST treats! I LOVE the picture with all the cookies resting on the m&ms. GREAT idea! 🙂

Jigginjessica — October 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Looks beautiful as always!

stephchows — October 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

perfect use of pink! So interesting about how the cookies reacted to the way you rolled them! Thanks for the heads up!

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Your cookies look great and that’s a good tip about getting them to look their best too. My kids and all their friends love these cookies. I’ve made them a few times since I first posted them and they never last long.
    thanks for the link!
    ~ Michelle

Chocolate Shavings — October 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Those are beautiful and perfect for such a great cause

The Novice Chef — October 21, 2009 at 7:32 pm

What an adorable picture! Also helps that they are for a great cause! 🙂

Natalie — October 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

M&Ms are my favorite treat and I love that during this month everything is PINK! The cookies look fantastic.

Kat — October 21, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I am bummed I missed your Power of Pink contest as I was utilizing October to raise awareness around breast cancer too! I made some cookies and have a post on my site: http://katskitchenplace.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html
    I like the chocolate cookie base of your cookies! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to checking back and seeing all what people make towards your challenge 🙂

tastestopping — October 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

A chocolate cookie topped with chocolate candies? What could be better? Perhaps a tall, ice cold glass of milk to go with them! They look divine. I’m wondering if you might skip the rolling and flattening by creating a wide log of dough (without M&Ms), slicing to the thickness desired, then pressing candies on top? Seems like the dough might be fairly easy to shape into a log. A quick pop into the fridge before slicing would help firm it up. Just a thought! I can’t wait to try them.

Best,
    Casey

P.S. Not sure if I’ve invited you before, but I’d love to publish any of your photos that FoodGawker and TasteSpotting decline! Thanks. 😀

nutmegnanny — October 23, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love the dark chocolate and pink M&M contrast. What fantastic cookies:)

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just made your recipe for these cookies yesterday and took them to church. The kids went nuts and they’ve never turned out as pretty as they did this time. Thanks for the helpful tips because my m&m cookies have never turned out prettier! 9 minutes was also perfect timing as well.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Both pretty and I’m sure delicious! I love how you showed the comparison between batches to give better suggestions for prettier cookies. The final batch are definitely the prettiest of the bunch. I love that the pink pops w/the chocolate cookie.