Strawberry Soda

Being a Foodbuzz Tastemaker has been a lot of fun for me. Through the partnership with them, I was able to host a Boston Cupcake Crawl and enjoyed participating in the Foodbuzz Project Food Blog last year. From time to time, they offer us the option to try out various products. When I saw the email about this Tervis Tumbler, I knew I needed to sign up.

You see, Hubby and I both drink a LOT of water. It’s basically the only thing that we have to drink in the house. Except for alcohol, obviously. I’m kind of picky about my water. It has to be cold. Really really cold. And I have to have a straw. This insulated tumbler is awesome at keeping my water cold. It also gave me an opportunity to post a tasty PINK beverage! We both enjoyed this fruity strawberry soda as a treat after dinner instead of dessert.

One Year Ago: Roasted Beet Hummus and Boogity
Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pecan Pie Candy
Three Years Ago: Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and Ginger Pumpkin Cupcakes
Four Years Ago:

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

Print Save

Strawberry Soda

Ingredients:

For strawberry syrup:
1/2 lb strawberries, trimmed and hulled
2 tsp white vinegar
5 Tbsp sugar

For the strawberry soda:
seltzer
strawberry syrup (2 1/2 Tbsp for every 12 oz of seltzer)
ice

Directions:

Make the strawberry syrup:
Place strawberries in blender and pulse until smooth. Add vinegar and mix well.

Pour through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and let drain. Press liquid through to get all the juice from the berries. Discard the pulp.

Transfer juice to a medium pot and add sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and store in fridge. Yields 2/3 cup of syrup.

Make the strawberry soda:
For a 12 oz soda, pour 4 oz of seltzer into a glass. Add 2 1/2 Tbsp of strawberry syrup and stir until combined. Add remaining 8 oz of seltzer and stir. Top off with ice.

8 Responses to “Strawberry Shortcake Cookies”

hannah! — June 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

im so sad it has come to an end too! anyway these must be pretty tasty

lovestoeat — June 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm

mmmmm those are one of our faves..i made them a TON last year..soo good
    yours look great

Amy of Sing For Your Supper — June 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

These look delicious!! I bet they’d go over great at a 4th of July party! I loved your strawberry week- such a great idea!! 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 1:43 am

These look great! We definitely don’t need 3 dozen though and wouldn’t want so many to go bad. Do you think they’d freeze well? I was thinking of doing what you did with freezing the chocolate chip dough a few weeks back, but I’m not sure if the strawberries throw a wrench into the mix.

Jen — June 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Sarah,

I’m not sure if these will freeze well. They were definitely best the day they were baked. Nice and crispy like a shortcake. The second day they were a bit more soft. I’d definitely be nervous to freeze them, but if you try it, let me know how it goes.

squirrelbread — June 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

just made these, and we loved them! a nice little hot weather treat.

cheers,

*heather*

A Bluebonnet in Beantown — June 19, 2010 at 2:47 am

Yum! I’m planning to take my kidlets strawberry picking for the first time. This looks like a great way to use some berries.

Gena

Amy — June 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I made mine canelle-style so they look like little pink footballs and sprinkled them with turbinado sugar…SUPER YUMMY!