Pink Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

I hope you guys are as excited about all the pink food I have planned for you this month as I am. There are only a few foods found in nature that produce pink result. As we saw yesterday, beets are one of them. This Pink Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe uses beets again to provide a beautiful pink tint. The roasted beets also gave a certain earthy-sweetness to these cookies that we both really enjoyed.

I made a few changes to the original recipe so that I could use some roasted beets that I had on hand. To make these cookies vegan, be sure to use vegan chocolate chips in them. I used regular mini chocolate chips because that’s what I had on hand.

Like most cookies, I really enjoyed these straight out of the freezer.

One Year Ago: Smores Cupcakes and Homemade Graham Crackers
Three Years Ago: M&M Cookies
Four Years Ago: White Chocolate and Blueberry Cupcakes and Sweet Potato Home Fries

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

Print Save

Pink Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 10-12 cookies

3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shredded raw beets
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine all dry ingredients and stir.

In a food processor, pulse the shredded beets for a few second 5 times. Add the oil, vanilla, and water and process again. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar to the food processor and pulse until completely combined. The mixture will be very liquidy.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and the beet mixture. Mix to combine.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min at 350.

Recipe adapted from Making Food and Other Stuff

11 Responses to “Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This looks like such a perfect gift! Are those your homemade marshmallows I spy in the mug?

Jen — December 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Of course they are! I seriously can’t justify buying marshmallows anymore. They’re just so easy and SO good homemade. I even whipped up a batch to put on our twice baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.

Blog is the New Black — December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I really wanted to do this this year for gifts but time escaped me. Looks great!

Boston Food Diary — December 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Soooo here’s the deal- A Boston Food Diary is going to look A LOT like Beantown Baker next week as I steal your recipes 🙂 Looks great Jen!

Megan — December 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Why have I never thought about doing this? It looks so easy and it definitely would give me an excuse to make some homemade marshmallows!

Danielle — December 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm

That looks like an amazing gift! Making a homemade hot cocoa would definetly save money. Thanks for the recipe(:

EliFla — December 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Ghirardelli cocoa is very good and your homemade hot cocoa mix …too!!! May you have a special merry Christmas!!!Hugs, Flavia

Meghan@travelwinedine — December 21, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have never thought of making my own cocoa mix OR marshmallows. I feel a winter project coming on. Looks delicious!

kitchenmisfit — December 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

I have had this bookmarked to make to some gifts for a couple of my girlfriends. So awesome and easy to make!

dana — December 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Loads of thanks to you. I can make everyone happy this Christmas. This recipe is even easy to follow.

innochkaskitchen — December 24, 2010 at 3:01 am

Yum! What a great holiday gift idea!