White Chocolate and Blueberry Cupcakes

I got a new cupcake cookbook (Cupcakes: From the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn) this week and wanted to try one of the recipes out. If you remember, the recipe that I used for the AMAZING cookies-n-cream cupcakes came from this cookbook as well so Hubby and I were convinced that any recipe I tried would be good.

We had spent a weekend in Maine and bought some homemade blueberry preserves. I thought these would go perfectly with the White on White cupcakes. I decided to make the Full-Fat-Full-Dairy version of these cupcakes. That way I’m not tempted to try one. Or two or three.

Hubby said these were his 2nd favorite cupcakes of all time, behind the aforementioned Cookies-N-Cream cupcakes. He also said that quite a few of his coworkers loved them as well.

White on White Cupcakes – 4 WW pts – makes 24
(From: Cupcakes! By the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 box white cake mix
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners and set aside.

Place chocolate chips in glass mixing bowl in microwave on high for 50 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

Place cake mix, milk, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla, and melted white chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down sides of the bowl with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more.

Spoon or scoop 1/4 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it two thirds of the way full.

Place pans in the oven and bake until they are lightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 17 to 20 minutes.

Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – 5 WW PTS(from Crazy about Cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

Heat the white chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until all is melted. Remove from heat

Stir in the vanilla. Add the confectioners’ sugar slowly, stirring constantly, until combined. Add more milk or sugar to achieve desired spreading consistency.

I used the Cone Method to fill 12 of the cupcakes with preserves. I wanted to keep some for us to use later, especially since I wouldn’t be able to eat any of these cupcakes.

The frosting was very thick and only covered 12 of the cupcakes, which worked out fine since I only filled 12 of them. I frosted the remaining cupcakes with some leftover Hershey’s perfectly chocolate frosting that I had in the freezer from when I made the Chocolate-PB cupcakes.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 cupcake: 162.7 Calories, 7.0g Fat, 14.4 mg Cholesterol, 184.9 mg Sodium, 3.2 mg Potassium, 23.7 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 14.4 g Sugar, 2.8 g Protein
WW POINTS = 4

1 serving frosting: 187.3 Calories, 5.6g Fat, 7.8 mg Cholesterol, 22.2 mg Sodium, 6.6 mg Potassium, 35.4 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 34.9 g Sugar, 1.1 g Protein
WW POINTS = 4

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!