White Chocolate and Blueberry Cupcakes

I got a new cupcake cookbook (Cupcakes: From the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn) this week and wanted to try one of the recipes out. If you remember, the recipe that I used for the AMAZING cookies-n-cream cupcakes came from this cookbook as well so Hubby and I were convinced that any recipe I tried would be good.

We had spent a weekend in Maine and bought some homemade blueberry preserves. I thought these would go perfectly with the White on White cupcakes. I decided to make the Full-Fat-Full-Dairy version of these cupcakes. That way I’m not tempted to try one. Or two or three.

Hubby said these were his 2nd favorite cupcakes of all time, behind the aforementioned Cookies-N-Cream cupcakes. He also said that quite a few of his coworkers loved them as well.

White on White Cupcakes – 4 WW pts – makes 24
(From: Cupcakes! By the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 box white cake mix
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners and set aside.

Place chocolate chips in glass mixing bowl in microwave on high for 50 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

Place cake mix, milk, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla, and melted white chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down sides of the bowl with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more.

Spoon or scoop 1/4 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it two thirds of the way full.

Place pans in the oven and bake until they are lightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 17 to 20 minutes.

Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – 5 WW PTS(from Crazy about Cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

Heat the white chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until all is melted. Remove from heat

Stir in the vanilla. Add the confectioners’ sugar slowly, stirring constantly, until combined. Add more milk or sugar to achieve desired spreading consistency.

I used the Cone Method to fill 12 of the cupcakes with preserves. I wanted to keep some for us to use later, especially since I wouldn’t be able to eat any of these cupcakes.

The frosting was very thick and only covered 12 of the cupcakes, which worked out fine since I only filled 12 of them. I frosted the remaining cupcakes with some leftover Hershey’s perfectly chocolate frosting that I had in the freezer from when I made the Chocolate-PB cupcakes.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 cupcake: 162.7 Calories, 7.0g Fat, 14.4 mg Cholesterol, 184.9 mg Sodium, 3.2 mg Potassium, 23.7 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 14.4 g Sugar, 2.8 g Protein

1 serving frosting: 187.3 Calories, 5.6g Fat, 7.8 mg Cholesterol, 22.2 mg Sodium, 6.6 mg Potassium, 35.4 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 34.9 g Sugar, 1.1 g Protein

18 Responses to “Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh my word!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pass me a spoon! This sounds amazing, Jen!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I need this ice cream right now!

Sues — June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I absolutely love cookie dough ice cream and this looks like a fabulous one! I love your bowls, too 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier 1.

Katie B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Wow… I’m not a cookie dough ice cream fan for the same reason, but this is amazing. How much do you think the coconut milk plays in the flavor?

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

I personally don’t find coconut milk very coconuty. I know some people do. I think you could use the cow’s milk varieties in the recipe and it would taste similar. I just have to use the coconut milk since i can’t eat cow’s milk.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love this! Ice cream has to be my favorite dessert, this looks amazing 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe from Tracey a couple of weeks ago too (I haven’t post about it yet) – so good!!!

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Isn’t it? It’s definitely one of my favorite ice cream recipes to date!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — June 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

This sounds delicious! I’m with you–regular cookie dough ice cream is a snooze. (Unless I’m sharing a pint with someone who doesn’t mind if I go through and pick out all the goodies–but let’s be real–everyone minds!) I’ll have to try this variation–it sounds like the perfect solution!

• beantownbaker — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I agree completely – everyone does mind!

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) — July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

This looks amazing!!! We would love it if you would link up at our We Scream For Ice Cream linky party/giveaway:
    Live the whole month of July.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link!

Melissa — July 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite and this recipe makes me want to buy an ice cream maker immediately! Which kind do you recommend?

• beantownbaker — July 6th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid mixer, I’ve heard good things about the Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Kristen — March 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made cookie dough ice cream but am wanting to try this one. Is there a way to substitute the egg yolks or leave it out?

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I would assume you could find a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe to use as the base with some brown sugar in it to give it more of a cookie dough taste. I wouldn’t recommend just leaving them out of this specific recipe though.