M&M Cookies

I’m entering into my Power of Pink Challenge. There are quite a few breast cancer awareness events this month. I saw this M&M cookie recipe and I knew I had to try it. Growing up, my mom made M&M cookies using yellow cake mix. They’re quite tasty but I really don’t like using cake mix (I know, I’ve become a food snob). So I’ve been in search of a great M&M cookie recipe for about a year now. I made monster cookies and they were great, but weren’t exactly what I was looking for… This recipe really hit the spot. The large amount of brown sugar keeps these cookies sweet and moist. I love the texture and the bits of pecan in cookie.

I took these to our second week of beer pong league. I did have one person ask if the M&M were leftover from Valentine’s Day. I explained that they were for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seriously, do you think a bag of M&Ms could last in my cabinets for 8 months?!? (I happen to love M&Ms in everything – on ice cream, with pretzels, and by themself, frozen of course). Enough babbling from me, on to the recipe…

M&M Cookies – from Delish – originally from the Cookie Bible
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar – I used Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups M&M’s, divided
1 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in 3/4 cup M&Ms and all the nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Press 5-6 of remaining M&Ms on each cookie before baking. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Yields about 3-3 1/2 dozen cookies. I made a double batch which yielded a about 6.5 dozen cookies. I used my cookie scoop to portion the batter.

19 Responses to “Pecan Pie Cookies”

Carrie — October 19, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Wow those look awesome, I am going to have to add these to my cookie idea list which seems to be never ending

Crystal — October 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

These look delicious! I will have to try them. I have a recipe for pecan pie cake. It’s quick, easy and tastes just like pecan pie.

Joe — October 19, 2009 at 5:36 pm

There is nothing better than a perfect pecan pie. These look great and really easy.

stephchows — October 19, 2009 at 7:59 pm

perfect for a pecan pie addict!

gaga — October 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm

These are such a great idea! One of my favorite pies is pecan, but I can never finish a whole slice because it gets too disgustingly sweet. These are perfect bite-size versions, I love it!

Stephanie Wagner — October 19, 2009 at 9:38 pm

So thoughtful! My dad loves pecan pie, I’ll have to make these for his birthday this winter.

Kat — October 20, 2009 at 12:18 am

What a great way to have pecan pie in moderation :). Sometimes I find pecan pie too sweet so the cookie base is a nice change.

Jigginjessica — October 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm

These look and sound really great! I think these would be a perfect dessert addition to my families Thanksgiving!

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2009 at 4:05 am

These looks great!

Mansi — October 21, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I make these too, aren’t they simply delicious! loved your pic!:)

btw, they’d be perfect for my sweet celebration contest I’d be glad if you could send them in for my blog event!

I’off to check out your giveaway:)

thereddeer — October 24, 2009 at 12:56 am

Yum! My hubby loves pecans so I might have to give these a try one day 🙂

Amethyst — October 25, 2009 at 4:04 pm

These are perfect to add to my cookie bags for holiday gifts! Thank you for sharing!

Tami — November 4, 2009 at 4:17 am

I love pecan pie so I can’t wait to try these little gems. 🙂

How To Eat A Cupcake — November 4, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I totally saw the write up about Baking Gals in Taste of Home! I was so excited! 😉

Tami — November 12, 2009 at 3:54 am

I made these this week for the Clean Plate Club Cookie Carnival. They’ve become a family favorite! Oh my are they good!!

Tari McDonald — November 27, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Jen, you left a comment on my blog asking if I chilled my dough when I made these cookies (responded on my blog, but I’ll do it here, too!). I didn’t chill the dough, altough I think I will last time. Some of my cookies spread too much just making it following the recipe. Thanks for sharing and submitting it for the cookie carnival!

booksncooks — December 11, 2009 at 2:37 am

You saved me this weekend – after being unable to find an ingredient for another recipe, I was in a jam, as all the desserts for my holiday party this weekend had chocolate in them. I remembered I had flagged these cookies to try out – I’ll be making these tomorrow night. Thanks!

Shannon Pivetta — November 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Does anyone know if these freeze well?

• beantownbaker — November 11th, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

These freeze really well. I’m actually making a batch tomorrow night to freeze until Thanksgiving.