M&M Cookies

I’m entering into my Power of Pink Challenge. There are quite a few breast cancer awareness events this month. I saw this M&M cookie recipe and I knew I had to try it. Growing up, my mom made M&M cookies using yellow cake mix. They’re quite tasty but I really don’t like using cake mix (I know, I’ve become a food snob). So I’ve been in search of a great M&M cookie recipe for about a year now. I made monster cookies and they were great, but weren’t exactly what I was looking for… This recipe really hit the spot. The large amount of brown sugar keeps these cookies sweet and moist. I love the texture and the bits of pecan in cookie.

I took these to our second week of beer pong league. I did have one person ask if the M&M were leftover from Valentine’s Day. I explained that they were for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seriously, do you think a bag of M&Ms could last in my cabinets for 8 months?!? (I happen to love M&Ms in everything – on ice cream, with pretzels, and by themself, frozen of course). Enough babbling from me, on to the recipe…

M&M Cookies – from Delish – originally from the Cookie Bible
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar – I used Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups M&M’s, divided
1 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in 3/4 cup M&Ms and all the nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Press 5-6 of remaining M&Ms on each cookie before baking. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Yields about 3-3 1/2 dozen cookies. I made a double batch which yielded a about 6.5 dozen cookies. I used my cookie scoop to portion the batter.

18 Responses to “Shipping Cupcakes in a Jar”

CB — November 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I love it! Where did you get the jars? Now I totally wanna do this for xmas gifts!

Jen — November 9, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I looked everywhere and just couldn’t find them. I ended up ordering them from Amazon. They weren’t very cheap so that was a bummer…

CB — November 9, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Ah bummer. What size are the jars? I wonder if Ikea would have them? Whats the amazon link?

Jen — November 9, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I ordered them from here. You want the wide mouth jars so the cupcakes fit and the 1/2 pint size is perfect.

The yellow cupcakes didn’t rise much so I added more frosting to fill the jar and the chocolate ones rose quite a bit so they had less frosting. My sister said that the chocolate one had the perfect amount of frosting or could use a smidge more, so you want a cupcake that has at least a small dome.

ttfn300 — November 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm

haha, i’ve never seen that before 🙂 love it!

Katie — November 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm

OH FUN! I’ve seriously always thought about doing this and never did. I’m starring this post to remind myself at Christmas. Too cute!!

Janna — November 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I have been dying to try this ever since I saw it last year on someone else’s blog. They actually baked the cake in the jar and then iced it like a cupcake. I am going to have to order some of those iddy jars! Too cute!

Beth — November 16, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Hmmm…might have to do this for Christmas instead of those “ingredients in a jar” thing we were thinking of.

Renée — March 12, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I really want to try this, but I keep reading online that you shouldn’t put frosting in the jar because it will get moldy by the time it reaches its destination. I’m sure you would have heard if it was moldy when it got to your friend right? I would just be so embarrassed if that happened. Any help?

Jen — March 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Renee – I’ve done this twice and both times haven’t heard of any mold. I froze the cupcakes/frosting in the jars prior to shipping them. I also shipped in the winter. My one sister even didn’t go get her package from the office until a week after it arrived and it was still good. I would guess she ate her cupcakes about 10 days after I sent them. I’m not sure if shipping in warm weather will have an impact on potential mold…

Renée — March 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Alright I’ll definitely give it a try then. It will make for a very good Easter present for my faraway friends =)

Jen — March 12, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Oh that’s a good idea!! I might have to order some more jars and do the same myself…

Hillary — June 5, 2009 at 3:25 pm

What a clever idea! I would love to get a cupcake in the mail! 🙂 Maybe I’ll send out Valentine’s Day Cupcakesnext year!

CuteCupcakesAllTheTime — May 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

CuteCupcakesAllTheTime — May 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Love these!! We have featured you on our blog. http://cutecupcakesallthetime.blogspot.com

Pat — February 16, 2013 at 11:19 am

Did you freeze them before shipping? The jars looked frosted…

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:21 am

I did freeze them. They defrosted as they were shipped. I’ve done it with and without the freezing depending on the weather and whatnot.

PinkSuga — October 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm

What shipping method did you use? Overnight or Express???