How to Peel a Peach

You know how some cooking steps just aren’t worth the hassle? Like sifting dry ingredients. In most recipes, you can just run a whisk or a fork through them and call it a day. Others, are definitely worth the extra time and effort. Seeding tomatoes for salsa is must in my book. Then there are others that are just so darn simple, there’s no reason not to do them.

Peeling peaches falls into the last category. Sometimes it’s intimidating to see that you need to do an extra step, especially if you’ve never done it before. But I’m here to show you how simple it is to peel a peach.

First, get everything ready to go. You’re going to need a bowl with some ice water, a pot of boiling water, some fresh peaches, a paring knife, and a slotted spoon.

Set the water to boil. While it is heating up, cut an “X” into the bottom of each peach with your paring knife.

Once the water is boiling, drop the peaches into the boiling water. Make sure the peaches are fully submursed in the water. Boil for about 35-45 seconds.

Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to the ice bath to prevent cooking the peaches.

Now the skin of the peaches can be peeled off with your hands.

See! Wasn’t that simple? Be sure to come back tomorrow to see what I made with my peeled peaches.

One Year Ago: Massaged Kale Salad, Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping
Two Years Ago: Blueberry Peach Muffins
Three Years Ago: Eclairs
Four Years Ago: Cilantro Turkey Burgers & Sauteed Mushrooms

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!