Hummingbird Cupcakes with Pineapple Flowers

Today I’m bringing you the final recipe that Megan and I baked together at our last baking date. If you remember, we made Homemade Peeps and Hot Cross Buns for Easter and we also wanted to make something appropriate for Mother’s Day. I was flipping through my Martha Stewart Cupcakes Cookbook when I saw these cupcakes and asked Megan if she was interested in making them.

The pineapple flowers on top did cause us some problems. We ended up baking them twice as long as the recipe said and they still weren’t fully dried out. Next time I make these, I’ll definitely do the pineapple flowers a day in advance so that I’m not in a rush to get them out of the oven. A few of the slices that were thinned did completely dry out, but it’s really hard to cut a pineapple very thin so some definitely were still a bit gooey.

Even with the frustrations of the pineapple flowers, these cupcakes were a huge hit. The flavors in the cupcake reminded me of a Caribbean vacation. And of course, everyone loves cream cheese frosting! If you wanted to make these but not deal with the pineapple flowers, you could top them with candied pineapple, or just leave the garnish off all together.

Megan and I had a great time baking together again and I can’t wait until we can do it again! We’re thinking of making ice cream since she’ll be hosting next time and she has an ice cream maker! If you have any ideas of something you’d like to see us bake, let either one of us know.

One Year Ago: Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

For the Dried Pineapple Flowers
2 large or 4 small pineapples, peeled

For the Hummingbird Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

Beat butter, vanilla, and sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl as needed. Continue to beat until mixture is pale and fluffy.

In another bowl, stir together the banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut. Add to egg mixture and beat until combined. Stir in flour mixture.

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 25-28 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium-high.

Reduce to low and add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Add vanilla and mix until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

For the Dried Pineapple Flowers
Preheat oven to 225. Line 2 baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.

Using a small melon baller (or a spoon), remove and discard pineapple "eyes".

Use a sharp knife to cut pineapple into very thin slices. Place slices on baking sheets.

Bake until tops look dried, about 30 minutes. Flip slices and bake until completely dried, 25-30 more minutes (or longer as needed).

Pinch center of each pineapple slice and shape into a cone. Let cool in a clean muffin tin to form flower shape. Once cool, flowers can be stored stacked for up to 3 days at room temp in an air-tight container.

Hummingbird Cupcake Recipe from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
Dried Pineapple Flower Recipe from Martha Stewart Cupcakes

I’m using this cake as my monthly What’s Baking challenge. The theme this month is Something for Mother’s Day. Be sure to check out The Boys Made Me Do It for the roundup later this month.

Don’t forget about Bloggers Bake for Hope – Bloggers Bake. You Bid. 100% of proceeds go to Komen for a Cure. Register to bake by April 30th, come back for bidding May 4-6.

34 Responses to “Spicy Peach Jalapeno Jam”

Shannon — September 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

ooh, i am drooling thinking about this over melty brie!! fabulous 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

It’s definitely as good as it sounds.

Queen Sashy — September 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

what a lovely jam! there are still some peaches at the market and i need to make this asap.

Claudia — September 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Sounds wonderful! When do you add the liquid pectin and how long do you let it boil after you add it?

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

Sorry about the mistake in the recipe, I have updated the recipe to reflect when to add the pectin.

Rima — September 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

That sounds delicious, but when do we add the pectin, and can we use powdered pectin instead of the liquid one? Thank you so much…

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I’m still new to canning, but I read in the Ball book that you can’t swap different kinds of pectin and should only use what the recipe calls for…

Loretta — September 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

when do you add the pectin ??????

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Kelly — September 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

How long does this keep?

• beantownbaker — September 28th, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

If you process the jars in a water bath, they will be fine on a shelf for up to a year. Once opened, you want to refrigerate it and it will keep for about a month in the fridge.

Toni — June 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

The number of cups of chopped peaches would be very helpful. Also, are the pectin pouches 3 or 6 oz?

Megan Wilson — July 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm

The flavor was outstanding! However, it never fully set-up into a jelly. It was more of a jam/thick sauce – even after re-processing with a 2nd pack of pectin (I gave in and used the powder) On my other batches, I used 2 dry packs – and I’m not sure if those will even set correctly. 🙁

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear this didn’t set up for you…

Nick — July 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

With sealed jars what is the shelf life of something like this?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

In general, I would try to open them within 6 months. I have kept jars of jam for up to a year without any problems.

Lindsay L — July 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

This is my second year making this and i just wanted to tell you that it is outstanding. i’m sure others are wondering about yield — I got 9 half-pints from one batch. How long do you process this? I did 15 mins to err on the side of caution. Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

I always process for 10 minutes.

Dee Ann — August 2, 2014 at 11:52 am

Does this make the five half-pint jars shown or does it make more? Since everything sort of comes together at the end in canning (hot jam, sterilized jars, etc., and boiling water) I like to know ahead of time how many jars to prepare. Thanks.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

It made 6 jars for me. It will depend how big your peaches are too.

Roxanne Riddle — August 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

With my jams, I usually use real lemon juice, but not in such large quantity,Did you use fresh or “jarred” lemon juice?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

Yes, I use jarred lemon juice here.

Blaire Prince — August 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm

According to “” you can substitute 2 TBSP powdered pectin for 1 pouch of liquid pectin. 🙂 just thought I’d share that little tidbit! This recipe is FANTASTIC! Thanks Jen!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

krista jackson — August 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am looking forward to making this jam this evening!! I was seaching for a recipe for peach and jalapeno jam and this one caught my eye! Because you posted it my the day I was married, then reading your story and that you live in Cincy! I was born and raised north of that area!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Small world! I hope you enjoyed this jam.

Kim — August 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

This recipe should come with a warning label. I feel like I just made crack. I changed it up a bit and used cherries instead of peaches. I was having a hard time finding a cherry pepper recipe and had cherries in my freezer needing evicted and this one looked so good I used it as my baseline. THANK YOU for sharing it! If you are interested, it was a mix of sweet and tart cherries, and I added an extra jalapeno to a double batch. I just got done putting up nearly 11 pints of the stuff and am sitting here like a child licking the residue off my ladle it is that freaking good. Definitely recommend you try it with cherries some day if you like them. I am picking peaches this weekend and will definitely be making this as posted because I am sure it is divine. Ive been making jams and jellies since i was a child and this is the best one yet. Thank you again, can’t wait to try it properly with peaches!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Cherries! What a great change. I’m goign to have to try that out.

Bonnie Kandalec — September 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm

It would have been nice to know how many jars I would need to make this recipe!!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

I got 6 jars. I’ll update the recipe to reflect the yield.

Christine — July 10, 2015 at 7:39 am

Oooooh. I am making this this weekend – thanks for a fantastic-looking recipe!

Sam — July 12, 2015 at 9:04 pm

First time jam maker. Went to the farmer’s market this weekend and bought peaches and jalapenos (along with a bunch of other stuff). Thought I’d try my hand at making a jam/jelly because we love it on pork chops. This recipe was perfect. Thanks for sharing… and thank you to Google for popping it towards the top of the search list. Thank you Beantown Baker!

Daina — July 27, 2015 at 2:28 pm

How long do you need to water bath can it??

McCaverty — August 16, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Made this today – delicious but decidedly soupy. I thought maybe once it cooled it would set up more, but no.