Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns are the second recipe that Megan and I made together. The second they were mentioned, Megan said she definitely wanted to make them. I had honestly never had a hot cross bun until this year and they are apparently commonly serves on Good Friday (tomorrow).

You can use any dried fruit that you like in your buns. When I was grabbing all the ingredients for our baking date, I grab a variety package of dried fruit. It had dried peaches, apriocots, dates, and I’m not sure what else in it.

We went with a King Arthur Flour recipe and found their blog entry about this recipe to be very helpful. Since they include some step by step photos, we were definitely checking it out more than just the printout of the recipe that we had.

Mixing up this dough was odd for both of us. You literally throw everything into the bowl, then start your mixer. It was weird, but it worked.

Once the dough was ready to be shaped, Megan showed me a trick that she learned while working at Flour bakery about how to shape the dough balls so they wouldn’t have any seams. It’s really hard to describe, so we decided to use my Flip again to take a video of it. It’s pretty quick, but hopefully it helps. I’m definitely going to try it out next time I’m shaping dough.

We used an ice cream scoop to portion out the dough and ended up with more buns than the recipe said we’d get. So they were a little crowded in the pan and rose into each other. This results in more square-shaped buns than pretty round buns, but that’s ok.

The buns tasted like a sweet bread with fruit in them. The icing on the top added just the right amount of sugary goodness to the mix. I took these into work and my coworkers enjoyed them with their morning coffees.

One Year Ago: Raspberry Curd
Two Years Ago: Raspberry Cheesecake Swirl Brownies and Homemade Oreos

Print Save

Hot Cross Buns

Yield: 12-14

For the Buns
1/4 cup rum (you can also use apple juice if you prefer)
1/2 cup mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
1 1/4 cups milk, room temperature
2 eggs
1 egg yolk (reserve the white for the topping)
6 Tbsp butter, room temperature

1 Tbsp milk

For the Icing
1 cup + 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 tsp milk, or enough to make a thick, pipeable icing

Lightly grease a 10" square pan or 9" x 13" pan.

Mix the rum or apple juice with the dried fruit and raisins, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave briefly, just till the fruit and liquid are very warm, and the plastic starts to "shrink wrap" itself over the top of the bowl. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Note: If you worry about using plastic wrap in your microwave, simply cover the bowl with a glass lid.

When the fruit is cool, mix together all of the dough ingredients except the fruit, and knead, using an electric mixer or bread machine, till the dough is soft and elastic. Mix in the fruit and any liquid not absorbed.

Let the dough rise for 1 hour, covered. It should become puffy, though may not double in bulk.

Divide the dough into billiard ball-sized pieces, about 3 3/4 ounces each. A heaped muffin scoop (about 1/3 cup) makes about the right portion. You'll make 12 to 14 buns. Use your greased hands to round them into balls. Arrange them in the prepared pan.

Cover the pan, and let the buns rise for 1 hour, or until they've puffed up and are touching one another. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.

Whisk together the reserved egg white and milk, and brush it over the buns.

Bake the buns for 20 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.

Mix together the icing ingredients, and when the buns are completely cool, pipe it in a cross shape atop each bun.

Recipe from Kind Arthur Flour

Don’t forget about Bloggers Bake for Hope – Bloggers Bake. You Bid. 100% of proceeds go to Komen for a Cure. Register to bake by April 30th, come back for bidding May 4-6.

20 Responses to “Funfetti Oreo Cupcakes”

Christina — August 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

Happy blog birthday!! I love the idea of making these for Halloween with orange and black sprinkles…and black or cute pumpkin cupcake liners. I’m all excited to make these now. Fabulous job!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 7:25 am

AND, you could use the Halloween Oreos that have orange filling in them if you wanted 🙂 Oh, now I’m thinking orange Oreos to get the orange/black colors. Then use just purple sprinkles. Or maybe purple and green to round out the festive Halloween colors.

JulieD — August 28, 2013 at 7:11 am

Happy blogiversary, Jen!!!!!!!!!! More exclamations! 🙂 these cupcakes look amazing! Congratulations on 6 great years! You’re one of the blogs I followed before starting my own! You’re amazing!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 7:27 am

Thanks Julie! And thanks for all the exclamation points 😉 It’s crazy to think I’ve been doing this 6 years now…

steph@stephsbitebybite — August 28, 2013 at 8:09 am

6 years of blogging!!! These cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate!

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} — August 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

Happy 6th Blog-verisary!!! I can’t wait to see what the next 6 years will bring ya!! Been a loyal fan for the past 6 years or so!!

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Thanks! Who knows where life is going to take me in the next 6 years, but I hope I’m still enjoying blogging. I know I’ll still love baking 🙂

Shannon — August 29, 2013 at 9:06 am

what a great way to celebrate 6 delicious years!! congrats 🙂

Melanie — August 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Do you think I could make these cupcakes in advance, freeze them, and then decorate them the day of a birthday party? Or do you think the oreos inside the cupcakes would be compromised by freezing?

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:41 am

I’ve never put these Oreo cupcakes in the freezer, so I’m not sure how they’d work… If you try it, please let me know how they do.

Tracy | Pale Yellow — August 29, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Happy Blog-o-versery! I couldn’t imagine making oreo cupcakes more festive, but you certainly did so! Sprinkles are a fantastic idea!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Thanks 🙂

Karen - Cinnamon Freud — August 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Happy blogiversary! I love any dessert with an Oreo in it: these cupcakes seem like an excellent choice to celebrate with!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:42 am

I love Oreos in desserts too!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 30, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Okay, funfetti AND oreo, just stop it please 😉 this is a dream dessert!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:43 am

My thoughts exactly 😀

Sarah C — August 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Happy blogiversary! I can’t remember who recommended your blog to me, but I’m so glad they did! And I think I will definitely make these cupcakes next weekend for the first weekend of the NFL season. Last year I bought a package of black and gold sprinkles (GO STEELERS!) and I’ve been saving them for a good occasion. I also have friends who request the mini ham & cheese sandwiches every single year on kick-off weekend, though we call them butter sandwiches. These cupcakes will be a great addition to the no-diet day, haha. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Thanks! Great idea calling those sandwiches butter sandwiches. I’m going to have to adopt that name as well 😉 These cupcakes would be great for NFL kickoff next weekend (even if I don’t agree with your choice in teams to root for…)