Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken

Have you ever roasted a chicken? It’s incredibly easy to do and the results are always amazing. If you’ve been intimidated by roasting a chicken, I want to encourage you to try it out. Whether you’re a chicken roasting veteran or not, I highly recommend this recipe. I’ve made it quite a few times and I just love the results every time.

Of course, it doesn’t hurt that the chicken is roasted with bacon on top of it! The bacon helps impart a delicious flavor onto the skin of the chicken. The lemon, garlic, and herbs stuffed into the chicken make the meat extremely flavorful.

To top things off, the veggies that prop the chicken up make this a complete meal in one pan. It also goes great with these potatoes (also from Ina Garten). The original recipe calls for making a gravy out of the drippings but Hubby and I always skip it. The chicken is so moist, it definitely does not need any gravy.

Hubby and I love to make a roasted chicken on a Sunday and pick our way through it for lunches during the week. You can also throw it into a sandwich or a chicken salad.

One Year Ago: Vanilla Buttercream

Freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary
4 lemons
3 heads garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 pound sliced bacon

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Place chopped onions, celery, carrots in the bottom of a large roasting pan.

Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry. Place the chicken in the roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the herbs, 1 lemon, halved, and 2 halves of the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Cut 2 of the lemons in quarters and scatter the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Lay the bacon slices over the chicken to cover.

Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Remove the bacon slices from the top of the chicken and set aside. Continue roasting the chicken for an additional 1/2 hour, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.

Slice the chicken on a platter. Garnish the chicken platter with the bacon slices, roasted veggies, roasted garlic, and 1 lemon, sliced. Serve with the gravy.

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten

Don’t forget about Bloggers Bake for Hope – Bloggers Bake. You Bid. 100% of proceeds go to Komen for a Cure. Register to bake by April 30th, come back for bidding May 4-6.

17 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Chicken”

Megan — February 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am obsessed with your crockpot chicken tacos and am sure this is going to be another favorite crockpot chicken recipe in our house!

P.S. I had a cake craving last night and jumped on your blog to look up cupcake recipes… you have 101 cupcake recipes?!!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Yea… about those cupcakes. I went through a phase at the beginning of my blog. And I’ve been blogging 3.5 years, so that’s really only about 30/year…

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I think I would LOVE this recipe! Bret loves pulled chicken and I love slow cooker recipes!

CasualDish — February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum, my husband would totally love this!!

Evan @swEEts — February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Sounds delicious and perfect for leaving in the pot before work and coming home to wonderfully cooked chicken. Can’t wait to try it!

Christina — February 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love this kind of stuff. We had beef dip sandwiches last night. SO GOOD. I bet we’ve love this too!

Julie — February 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sounds delicious, but I’m sure I’d have to just add one of those chiles 🙂

Kate W — February 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Yay! I love Pulled chicken sandwiches, I’m so glad you shared this recipe.

Katie — February 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

Nothing bad about pulled chicken. Nothing. Love all the flavors that the chicken was simmering in. Bet this was awesome!

Lindsay — March 7, 2011 at 8:07 am

This is the first time I’ve seen someone else use an Eating Well recipe! I like. 🙂 Also, this chicken looks fabulous and easy….nice work.

Kristen Llobrera — March 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

These look awesome and so easy to make! I love spicy pulled chicken and I love anything that you can just throw in the crockpot. Can’t wait to try them!

Judith — March 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

My husband and I made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Nona — May 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried freezing this? I dont eat meat, but I am thinking about making this for my husband but there is no way he could eat a whole pot to himself.

• beantownbaker — May 7th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Like most crockpot meals, this meat freezes just fine. I like to portion it out into individual sized portions prior to freezing so you can just grab one and go.

Julia — November 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi! I made this last year and it was a huge hit. I want to make it again for a holiday pot luck, but when I looked at the recipe today, it seemed to have the directions listed twice, and no ingredient amounts. I was able to find the recipe at eating Well, but wanted to let you know that there may be something wrong here.

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

Thanks for the update. I am fixing the post now. Glad this recipe was a success for you!

Nollywood — October 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm