Caramelized Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of my favorite foods. It’s so versatile and can be used is sweet or savory dishes. I have quite a few butternut squash recipes that I’ve already made, so I decided to make a Squash tag. Be sure to check it out.

Since I love butternut squash so much, I thought it would be appropriate to feature a week of butternut squash recipe. I’m going to kick off the week with a recipe that so simple and so delicious, it’s almost silly to call it a recipe.

Most recipes for roasted squash result in a savory dish, but with the simple addition of some brown sugar to the mix, you can transform roasted squash into a sweet little side dish.

In a moment of full disclosure, I have to admit that when I made this one afternoon while working from home, I and then proceeded to eat the entire batch of roasted squash as my lunch. Then I made it the next night for dinner. Hubby agreed that it was delicious.

Print Save

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

1 lb butternut squash
1.5 tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400°F.

Peel squash and chop into large pieces.

Combine squash, butter, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss.

Pour squash out onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for about an hour or until browned.

Recipe from Food.com

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

10 Responses to “Mexican Shrimp Cobb Salad”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

You probably saved a few calories too, by subbing the ham for shrimp! This looks amazing and I love the Mexican flavors.

• beantownbaker — April 29th, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

This is definitely a little bit lighter than a normal cobb salad.

Megan — April 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

I love this take on a cobb salad. The flavors all sound so fresh and bright!

Shannon — April 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

yum! this looks like one absolutely delicious salad. definitely starting to crave more salads, so this is sure to get into the rotation 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 14th, 2013 @ 7:21 am

I’ve been craving salads a lot too recently. I’m so glad spring is finally here.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Oh yum, I love cobb salad 🙂 this looks great!

Beth — July 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

made this for dinner tonight…served the avocado and dressing on the side…everyone and I mean everyone went crazy over this….seconds were had and on a hot night like this it hit the spot…every bite brought out a new flavor..so so good…I follow a lot of blogs and make there recipes but none as much as yours…your recipes are easy, economical and full of flavor….and I love how you do a little bit of everything…keep them coming girl ….

• beantownbaker — July 21st, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoyed this salad. It’s SO flavorful.

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — August 27, 2013 at 7:55 am

ooo I sooo need this.
    My mom is coming up for a Labor DAy visit. I think this NEEDS to be made. noms

• beantownbaker — August 27th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

It makes a big salad – so it’s perfect for serving to guests!