Caramelized Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of my favorite foods. It’s so versatile and can be used is sweet or savory dishes. I have quite a few butternut squash recipes that I’ve already made, so I decided to make a Squash tag. Be sure to check it out.

Since I love butternut squash so much, I thought it would be appropriate to feature a week of butternut squash recipe. I’m going to kick off the week with a recipe that so simple and so delicious, it’s almost silly to call it a recipe.

Most recipes for roasted squash result in a savory dish, but with the simple addition of some brown sugar to the mix, you can transform roasted squash into a sweet little side dish.

In a moment of full disclosure, I have to admit that when I made this one afternoon while working from home, I and then proceeded to eat the entire batch of roasted squash as my lunch. Then I made it the next night for dinner. Hubby agreed that it was delicious.

Print Save

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

1 lb butternut squash
1.5 tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400°F.

Peel squash and chop into large pieces.

Combine squash, butter, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss.

Pour squash out onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for about an hour or until browned.

Recipe from Food.com

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

11 Responses to “Massaged Kale Salad”

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m so glad you posted this! Aarti’s kale salad is on my list of dishes to make, and it’s good to know that you guys enjoyed it.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — August 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I saw this on the first episode of Aarti Party and it looked so good to me! Kale is something I’ve also never worked with in our kitchen so I definitely want to give this recipe a try!

Josie — August 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love kale, and I was intrigued by this as well – I really want to try it now! Great picture!

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I picked up all of the ingredients this morning to make the salad, and it is now sitting in my fridge waiting to be devoured for lunch. It’s GREAT! Who knew raw kale could be so good?!

Lizzy — August 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Kale is one of my favorite foods but I haven’t had it raw yet. I am bookmarking this!

Kate — August 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wow sounds interesting! I’m very curious to try it myself. I love kale.

Christine — August 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I saw this on Aarti Party too – looks good – glad you tried it!

We Are Not Martha — August 31, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love kale and am on a new-found mango kick, so I’m sure this is absolutely wonderful 🙂

Sues

Sherry G — August 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I don’t know if I could get anyone in my family to try this, but it looks so interesting! I have never tried kale, but I would like to!

Cara — August 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I made a massaged kale salad once but it was just “eh”. I don’t think I massaged enough. But I might have to try it again, and do it the right way, since you both loved it!

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I LOVE massaged kale – love, love, love it. It tastes completely different than “regular” – not as “green” if that makes sense. 🙂
    I also love the next food network star. I should check out Aarti’s show since this recipe sounds like it’s right up my alley. 🙂