Multi-seed Crackerbread

Are you guys getting sick of hearing about the trip to King Arthur Flour yet? Well I’ve got two more posts detailing the recipes we learned and I’ll be announcing the winner of the KAF giveaway tomorrow. If you haven’t entered yet, be sure to do that before NOON today!

I was excited to learn that we’d be making crackers since I’ve never made my own. I had fun playing around with various seed/herb combinations. I think my favorite was the one with just sesame seeds and salt.

Hubby and I broke these into pieces and ate them with some hummus. We liked the crispy ones the best, which is obviously easier to control at home in your own kitchen. I would definitely make these again. They were very easy and how impressive is it to say you made your own crackers?!?

One Year Ago: Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies

2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup assorted seeds such as sesame, poppy, fennel, caraway, and anise
2 Tbsp assorted dried herbs such as rosemary, basil, dill, taragon, and thyme
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp course salt (optional)

Combine the flours, cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl. Mix in the olive oil thoroughly and then add the water. You may not need all of the water, so hold back a few tablespoons and check the texture. It should be stiff, not crumbly.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead it until it's a stiff yet supple ball of dough. Add more flour if the dough is too wet. The dough will not require a long kneading period, just long enough to get it to hold together well.

Combine the seeds, herbs, pepper, and course salt in a small bowl.

Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and cover with plastic wrap.

Working with one piece at a time, scatter about 1 tablespoon of the seed mixture on the work surface. Press the dough onto the seeds and begin to roll it out with a rolling pin. If the dough sticks, flip it over, apply more seeds and continue rolling.

When the dough is as thin as you can get it, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the top is browned. Cool completely before serving.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour

31 Responses to “Pretzel Bites”

Natalie — January 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for so long–might have to bust them out for the Superbowl next weekend 🙂

Ellen — January 14, 2013 at 6:17 am

I made these after spotting them on Pinterest. I made them ‘just because’. They are quite tasty.

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!

Jill — January 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I made these with my 4 year old, we had so much fun and they are delicous!!!! Easy too. Loved this!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• beantownbaker — January 18th, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

So glad you liked them!

Bryn — April 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm

We made these during a play date. Each kid got a piece to make their own shape. They are so cute and yummy!

• beantownbaker — April 11th, 2013 @ 8:44 am

What a fun activity for the kids!

Shayna — June 28, 2013 at 3:16 am

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

You have done a marvellous job!

Samantha Maynard — July 8, 2013 at 1:14 am

I am planning to make these for my daughter’s birthday party in a few weeks. Can the dough be made ahead? How long do they keep after making? What is the best way to reheat them if they have been made ahead? I am planning to make a test batch, but thought you could shed some insight. Also- do you think they would be good with 1/2 wheat flour? Excited to road test ’em!

• beantownbaker — July 8th, 2013 @ 9:18 am

I make pretzels and freeze them all the time. I don’t see why pretzel bites couldn’t also be frozen. Just thaw them in the fridge overnight then reheat in your oven. I haven’t tried with wheat flour, but let me know how it goes for you!

Averi — July 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I just made these tonight and they were so delicious!! I made a batch with salt and another with cinnamon sugar! So delicious!!

• beantownbaker — July 16th, 2013 @ 8:37 am

So glad you liked them! I love making cinnamon sugar pretzels.

Amanda — October 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm

What if I don’t have brown sugar do you acually need it or is their something else I can use?

• beantownbaker — October 6th, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

If you have molasses and white sugar, you can make brown sugar.

Amy Fox — October 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

Sadly I left my kitchenaid standing mixer in states when we moved to Germany. Can I make the dough with a hand mixer?

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I think you could do this with a hand mixer. Let me know how they turn out for you!

Lauren — December 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Made these for our lake-house retreat this summer and they were gone before we even set them on the table! Making them again, but I learned my lesson and will be quadrupling the batch! That’s how good they are! Thanks for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

We just made these for our New Years Eve party and I wish I had quadrupled the recipe! I only doubled it and they disappears so quickly!

Samantha — February 2, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Made these last night for the Superbowl. It made about 160 pretzel bites. Definitely more than 6-8 servings! They tasted a little “off” last night after we made them, but now that they’ve cooled down and we reheated them, they are delicious!

We plan on freezing about half since they taste EXACTLY like those PretzelMaker ones! Thanks!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

Good point about the serving size! I’ve updated it because this does make quite a few pretzel bites. Glad you enjoyed them.

Angela — February 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Just made these tonight for the first time and they are delicious! The kids and I decided to experiment so we did some with smokey monterey jack cheese stuffed inside and rolled others in cinnamon sugar after they baked. Soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

Oh man, cheese stuffed pretzel bites? That sounds like a great experiment! Glad you and the kids enjoyed them.

Heather — April 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Could I use tin foil instead of parchment paper?

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 5:57 pm

Foil should work. I’d spray it with baking spray though.

Chen — May 12, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Seems like a great recipe! Could you though assume how many TBSPs are in 1 package of yeast? Thanks (:

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

An envelope of yeast usually has 2.25 tsp in it. Be sure to check the packaging to see if it’s labeled as well.

Paige — May 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

This are awesome! I’ve made pretzels and pretzel bites before but this time I tried your recipe. Really delicious. One thing that makes it go a lot quicker is instead of rolling it into snakes from chunks of dough, I roll out the dough somewhat flat, and then cut strips from it. Then I can just roll the strips up a little bit to get them round and it’s all set.

Oh, tin foil does work even if you don’t spray it, they’re just a little tricky to get off, but it’s not a problem.

Thanks for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — May 17th, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

That’s a brilliant idea to just roll out the dough and cut it in to strips! I’ll definitely do that next time. Yours look great!

BrynMawrGirl — October 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

I’ve made these several times and every time they are a hit. i’m making a big batch today for an octoberfest party and just wanted to say Thank You for the recipe!

Cookies003 — October 20, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Tasty recipe!

cher — February 1, 2015 at 9:23 pm

super yummy! i halved the recipe for my family, and now i’m wishing i hadn’t! great super bowl party food.