Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes with Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

Remember those chocolate mousse cupcakes I made recently? Remember how I said I’d be making them again? Well here they are again. This time they’re all dressed up for the holidays. I saw these festive strawberries on The Rookie Chef blog last 4th of July and I immediately starred the recipe and put it in my Holiday folder so I’d remember to make them this year.

I got so many compliments on the strawberries and they were so easy to make. I really like the dark blue candy melts that I found for the Colts cupcakes I made for the Superbowl this year. It’s much closer to the classic red-white-blue than the normal aqua color of the Wilton candy melts. (For anyone who’s wondering, I found the dark blue candy melts at an ACMoore).

Half of my cupcakes got red white and blue star sprinkles and the other half were topped with the red white and blue strawberries. Next year, I’ll also make a bunch of the strawberries for people to enjoy without the cupcakes as well.

Be sure to check the righthand sidebar for other cookout favorites ———->

And here are some festive Red White and Blue Desserts I’ve made in the past:
Layered Cookie Cake
4th of July Red Velvet Cupcakes
4th of July Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Red White and Blue No Bake Frozen Cupcakes

Check out my SECOND week of Strawberry Recipes HERE

Print Save

Red White and Blue Dipped Strawberries

Ingredients:

Strawberries, washed and dried
Almond bark or white candy melts
Blue candy melts or blue gel food coloring to mix with the white

Directions:

Wash strawberries and dry on paper towels

Melt almond bark. You can do this in the microwave like I did by just putting it in a bowl, microwaving for 30 seconds, stirring, and then continuing to microwave for 15 second intervals. Make sure and stir between intervals. Or you can do this on a low heat stove top. Just be careful not to burn it!

Dip your strawberries in the almond bark so that it covers about 2/3 of the strawberry. Repeat for all strawberries. Set them on wax paper and allow for them to completely cool.

While your strawberries are cooling, melt your blue candy melts or add your blue coloring to the rest of the almond bark.

Once cooled, dip your strawberries into the blue candy melts but only to the bottom third. Again, transfer to wax paper and allow them to cool.

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!