Homemade Chicken Broth and Veggie Chicken Soup in the Crockpot

Remember the chicken that I posted a couple weeks ago? The butterflied and broiled chicken recipe that Hubby loves to make (I think it’s because he loves using his big sharp knives). Well it yields a delicious chicken that is sure to impress. But it also yields some great chicken brother and veggie chicken soup.

I read about making homemade chicken broth in a crockpot and was shocked at literally how easy it is. Now I do this every time Hubby makes a chicken and we always have homemade chicken broth in the freezer. Not to mention the pureed veggie soup (Hubby loves taking it in his lunch).

I like to have my crockpot cook overnight and then let the broth cool during the day while we’re at work. It takes all day for that pot of deliciousness to cool down enough to be able to handle it.

To start, place all the ingredients in your crockpot and turn it on LOW for about 8-10 hours. Then turn crockpot off and allow to cool another 8-10 hours.

Once the broth has cooked and chilled, place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies and bones.

Next, if you plan to make the pureed veggie soup, sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash)and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl. If you don’t want to make the veggie soup, throw the veggie out as well.

Place the veggies and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth. I like to then portion out the broth and soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer and be ready to enjoy your homemade chicken broth and pureed veggie soup!

One Year Ago: Almond Joy Cupcakes

Homemade Chicken Broth – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Place chicken carcass, vegetables, and garlic into crockpot. Add Italian seasoning and water. Cook on Low 8-10 hours.

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Throw away the veggies and bones.

Portion out the broth using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Homemade Pureed Veggie and Chicken Soup – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash) and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl.

Place the chicken, veggies, and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth.

Portion out the soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Bookmark and Share

27 Responses to “Chicken Tikka Masala”

Joanne — September 27, 2010 at 12:09 am

I think it would be SO awesome to live in India…mostly for the food. Which places do you like in Boston? I used to live there and really want to move back at some point!

This chicken tikka masala looks so tasty. Wonderful for PFB!

Jen — September 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

Joanne – We love Punjab Palace in Allston for delivery and Tamarind Bay in Brookline for eating in.

Eliana — September 27, 2010 at 2:44 am

So great that you made it through. I’m sure you will make it to the next round with this beauty. Your take on this Indian classic looks absolutely delicious!

kitchenmisfit — September 27, 2010 at 10:46 am

Punjab Palace is my absolute FAVORITE Indian place in Boston. They actually make my dishes spicy unlike some other places in Boston. I’ve always wants to try Tamarind Bay as well. Delicious recipe!

Jen — September 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

kitchenmisfit – definitely try Tamarind Bay. They have a great little outdoor seating area so if you can get there before fall arrives in full swing, I’d definitely recommend it.

mybizzykitchen.com — September 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I love chicken tikka masala – I just made it about six months ago for the first time, and I’ve made it a dozen times since!

I have a version that takes 30 minutes – I found I couldn’t taste the difference of the chicken when it marinated in the yogurt, so just skip it!

I voted for you – good luck!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

This is fantastic! I love chicken tikka masala and its great you can cross off another item on your list!

Daisy — September 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Chicken Tikki Masala is my go to Indian food too! I had a great meal at Rani in Brookline a few years ago. I just voted for you. good luck.

Also – how fun you are giving away the KAF treats! 🙂

Shannon — September 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm

looks fantastic–you got my vote 🙂 i’ll have to try this one next!

Skylar Wolfe — September 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I made tikka masala too for this challenge! It’s so yummy and tasty. Yours looks really delicious, and I voted for you.

You can see mine at http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/973

Krystal — September 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Yum, I love Chicken Tikka Masala…this looks delicious Jen and you got my vote!

The Cilantropist — September 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Love love me some tikka masala! And totally cute photo of the monkey. 🙂 Got my vote! Good luck!

The Small Boston Kitchen — September 27, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Is it rude if I request to be invited over next time you make this?! Chicken Tikka Masala is one of my favorites and your looks so goooood!

Best of luck in the competition…I’m rooting for you!!

notyet100 — September 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

u r so right bout indian food,..
    platter looks yum,..good luck.:-)

Jen — September 28, 2010 at 3:51 am

this looks delicious 🙂 Good luck with project food and you got my vote for this one! Feel free to drop by 🙂 Good luck and best wishes for making to the top !! WOOHOO

jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

undercover caterer — September 28, 2010 at 7:35 am

I love chicken tikka masala too, but haven’t ever attempted it. I’ll have to do it now, you made it look simple. You got my vote!

Casey Angelova — September 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This looks awesome. I love Indian cuisine. Best of luck with round 2!!!

Heather — September 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm

We love Indian food, I wish we had it more often. Our go to is also Tikka Masala and I am thinking we may need to revisit it again real soon. Great job you have my vote.

Jane Ko — September 28, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Voted for you and good luck with PFB 🙂

I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway

Here is my entry for PFB http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/1039

thecheapgourmet — September 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm

What a fabulous dish you chose for the PFB challenge. Great job! I loved the monkey, but didn’t realize they were pick-pockets. Little rascals! I’ve not tried much Indian food, but would love to try your recipe. Sending you the best of luck in future challenges, along with my vote!

Lick My Spoon — September 28, 2010 at 11:13 pm

You’ve got my vote! I’m glad you were able to challenge yourself by cooking Indian food. Good thing you did, this dish looks amazing!!

That is so amazing that your husband has gotten to the opportunity to live in India.

Good luck, I know you are going to go far in this competition.

nutmegnanny — September 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I voted! 🙂 Looks great! I love Indian food but unfortunately I’m the only one in my family and friends circle that loves it. In order to eat it I have to eat alone…haha.

sadaf — September 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for visiting my site.
    I am panjabi ana love tikka. great post and voted by me.. I always use tikka flavoured chicken for my pizza…

Food o' del Mundo — September 30, 2010 at 12:46 am

Lovely post, placed my vote. Hope we both make it to the next round!

Queen of Cuisine — September 30, 2010 at 1:07 am

Your tikka looks great!! Don’t you love the Pioneer Woman? I cast a vote for you!

Lisa

Karen — October 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I made this last Thursday. It was very good but way too spicy for my kids. When I make it again I am only adding one and a half T of garam masala and omitting the yogurt on the chicken.Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

kk — October 12, 2010 at 1:59 am

not going to lie- mine didn’t taste so great. i was very hopeful, but i guess a year + of living in india puts my standards really high.

my favorite indian restaurant in boston is punjabi dhaba in inman square. lines so long they’re usually down the block, and there are always lots of desis there- that’s how you know it’s good. best dosa and chicken tikka masala i’ve had this side of the atlantic. silverware is optional.