Almond Joy (actually Mounds) Cupcakes

I saw these cupcakes forever ago on Clara’s blog. Then recently, they popped up in my Google Reader again, reminding me that I needed to make them. And soon! I decided to turn CB’s thoughts into action. Instead of using the cone method to fill the cupcakes, I just frosted them with the coconut frosting. In fact, I used my new favorite way to frost a cupcake. Then I drizzled the ganache over the top of the frosting. I decided at the last minute not to include the almond on the top. They were just too pretty and tasted awesome anyways. So these are actually Mounds cupcakes, although not really since Mounds have dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. So I’ll call them Almound Joy cupcakes. And they’re amazing.

Almond Joy Cupcakes – makes 18 – As seen on Cook Like a Champion and I Heart CuppyCakes, originally from Hello Cupcake
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350F.

Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.

In another medium bowl with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in the melted chocolate.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating until blended.

Stir in vanilla.

Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Coconut cream cheese filling (frosting in my case):
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

Chocolate ganache:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.

Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.

You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.

To assemble the cupcakes:
Remove center of cupcake using the cone method. Set cone aside – feel free to eat it!

Pipe frosting into hole and continue on top of cupcake. Drizzle ganache over frosting.

18 Responses to “Samoas Rice Krispies Treats”

Monica — February 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

If Carlos claims this is the best thing you have ever made … I might have to make them tonight!

• beantownbaker — February 10th, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Let me know if you do. I was seriously SHOCKED when he said that.

erin — February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

OH. MY. LORD.

Aimee@shugarysweets — February 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I can see why these are the best ever!!!! Love Samoas!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I grew up calling them Samoas and didn’t like them when I was selling them, but have since grown to love them. Great twist on a traditional rice krispie treat!

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I can’t tell if the naming thing is regional or not. I know people who grew up in Indiana like me who call them Samoas. They’ll always be Caramel Delites to me.

Dina — February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am

they look sooooo good!

vanillasugarblog — February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Sharing these in my friday link roundup!
    Everyone needs to see these!

• beantownbaker — February 13th, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks for sharing them!!

Shannon — February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

oh jeez. caramel de lites here, too 🙂 these sound killer!

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

You’re the first person I’ve met who calls them Caramel de Lites too!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — February 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’ve been wondering why they aren’t always called Samoas!

stephanie — March 18, 2014 at 7:48 am

Are the pecans there for the Samoa flavor or just an extra addition?

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:03 am

They add some texture but you could leave them out if you wanted.

Justin — March 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awesome recipe! Let me provide a little insight to the naming of the cookies (Caramel deLights vs Samoas my wife is a girl scout troop leader). The girl scouts rely on a few bakeries to produce their cookies. Caramel deLights are made by one bakery, while Samoas are made by another.

Erin — April 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

Just made these – very tasty, but I had a lot of trouble with the caramel layer. It hardened so much, I couldn’t cut the squares. I had to heat them up a bit to cut through the caramel, and then they got rather sticky and did not cut cleanly. Followed directions exactly, not sure what went wrong…

Shannon C — May 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm

On Sunday nights, my hubby leads a college-age Bible study group and I use the kids/young adults as my guinea pigs for trying new recipes. I made these yesterday and they LOVED them. Thank you for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

So glad these were a hit for you! This has become my most frequently made and requested recipe that I’ve made.