Almond Joy (actually Mounds) Cupcakes

I saw these cupcakes forever ago on Clara’s blog. Then recently, they popped up in my Google Reader again, reminding me that I needed to make them. And soon! I decided to turn CB’s thoughts into action. Instead of using the cone method to fill the cupcakes, I just frosted them with the coconut frosting. In fact, I used my new favorite way to frost a cupcake. Then I drizzled the ganache over the top of the frosting. I decided at the last minute not to include the almond on the top. They were just too pretty and tasted awesome anyways. So these are actually Mounds cupcakes, although not really since Mounds have dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. So I’ll call them Almound Joy cupcakes. And they’re amazing.

Almond Joy Cupcakes – makes 18 – As seen on Cook Like a Champion and I Heart CuppyCakes, originally from Hello Cupcake
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350F.

Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.

In another medium bowl with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in the melted chocolate.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating until blended.

Stir in vanilla.

Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Coconut cream cheese filling (frosting in my case):
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

Chocolate ganache:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.

Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.

You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.

To assemble the cupcakes:
Remove center of cupcake using the cone method. Set cone aside – feel free to eat it!

Pipe frosting into hole and continue on top of cupcake. Drizzle ganache over frosting.

17 Responses to “Browned Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies”

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

I have my tried and true ATK version but I always love discovering new chocolate chip cookie recipes!

Elizabeth — March 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Brown butter makes everything better!

In and Around Town — March 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

I am pretty boring with chocolate chip cookies and stick with the recipe on the back of the bag, but the size of these and the twist on ingredients makes me want to give these a go!

Mrs. Williams — March 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

I use half the bag of chips too – I like them that way! 🙂 I might have to give this one a shot – I really liked the brown butter oatmeal chocolate chip I made last week.

Judy — March 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love trying new ccc recipes also.  You don’t mention what the texture of the cookie is.  I like crispy edges and chewy centers, very hard to find.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — March 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

Well, I know what’s happening with the half block of cream cheese in my fridge just waiting to be used up! Cookies are in my future, score. 😉

Colleen — March 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love adding sea salt to chocolate things! I haven’t tried it on chocolate chip cookies, but it sounds delicious.

Carrie's Sweet Life — March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

These look awesome, I am still searching for the perfect recipe!

PB and Peppers — March 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

The cookies sound amazing!  I love the addition of cream cheese!  CC is my favorite cookie and I am terrified to make them because I have no self control.  I love the dough and I love the cookie!!

Megan — April 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

These sound like they take the best components of all my favorite cookies (browned butter, a sprinkling of sea salt) and merge them together.

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I always stick with Tollhouse cookies. I need to open my eyes to the wide world of chocolate chip cookies varieties out there!

Courtney — April 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

I made these today and they were fantastic–thanks for sharing the recipe! (*^_^*)

mega — May 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

aahh this is recipe that i looking for to make choco chip cookies… thank you for post it 🙂

Kaila — January 4, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Made these but didn’t know you have to refrigerate the dough prior to baking hope they come out okay!

• beantownbaker — January 5th, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

They should still turn out ok. They might spread a bit more than mine do. Let me know how they come out!

Arghavan — February 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Made these with the kiddies today and WOW! They are delicious! It made a lot of dough though (I made smaller cookies than the recipe called for), can I freeze the dough in small balls?

Jess — February 19, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Making these today! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. I have another great brown butter choc chip recipe but never tried with cream cheese. Thought I would share my tip for the sea salt…I love a salted cookie! I wait until the cookies have cooled 5 minutes before sprinkling, it’s not too hot that the salt sinks into the batter but not too cold that the salt just bounces off.