Homemade Chicken Broth and Veggie Chicken Soup in the Crockpot

Remember the chicken that I posted a couple weeks ago? The butterflied and broiled chicken recipe that Hubby loves to make (I think it’s because he loves using his big sharp knives). Well it yields a delicious chicken that is sure to impress. But it also yields some great chicken brother and veggie chicken soup.

I read about making homemade chicken broth in a crockpot and was shocked at literally how easy it is. Now I do this every time Hubby makes a chicken and we always have homemade chicken broth in the freezer. Not to mention the pureed veggie soup (Hubby loves taking it in his lunch).

I like to have my crockpot cook overnight and then let the broth cool during the day while we’re at work. It takes all day for that pot of deliciousness to cool down enough to be able to handle it.

To start, place all the ingredients in your crockpot and turn it on LOW for about 8-10 hours. Then turn crockpot off and allow to cool another 8-10 hours.

Once the broth has cooked and chilled, place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies and bones.

Next, if you plan to make the pureed veggie soup, sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash)and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl. If you don’t want to make the veggie soup, throw the veggie out as well.

Place the veggies and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth. I like to then portion out the broth and soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer and be ready to enjoy your homemade chicken broth and pureed veggie soup!

One Year Ago: Almond Joy Cupcakes

Homemade Chicken Broth – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Place chicken carcass, vegetables, and garlic into crockpot. Add Italian seasoning and water. Cook on Low 8-10 hours.

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Throw away the veggies and bones.

Portion out the broth using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Homemade Pureed Veggie and Chicken Soup – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash) and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl.

Place the chicken, veggies, and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth.

Portion out the soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Bookmark and Share

17 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Chicken”

Megan — February 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am obsessed with your crockpot chicken tacos and am sure this is going to be another favorite crockpot chicken recipe in our house!

P.S. I had a cake craving last night and jumped on your blog to look up cupcake recipes… you have 101 cupcake recipes?!!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Yea… about those cupcakes. I went through a phase at the beginning of my blog. And I’ve been blogging 3.5 years, so that’s really only about 30/year…

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I think I would LOVE this recipe! Bret loves pulled chicken and I love slow cooker recipes!

CasualDish — February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum, my husband would totally love this!!

Evan @swEEts — February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Sounds delicious and perfect for leaving in the pot before work and coming home to wonderfully cooked chicken. Can’t wait to try it!

Christina — February 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love this kind of stuff. We had beef dip sandwiches last night. SO GOOD. I bet we’ve love this too!

Julie — February 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sounds delicious, but I’m sure I’d have to just add one of those chiles 🙂

Kate W — February 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Yay! I love Pulled chicken sandwiches, I’m so glad you shared this recipe.

Katie — February 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

Nothing bad about pulled chicken. Nothing. Love all the flavors that the chicken was simmering in. Bet this was awesome!

Lindsay — March 7, 2011 at 8:07 am

This is the first time I’ve seen someone else use an Eating Well recipe! I like. 🙂 Also, this chicken looks fabulous and easy….nice work.

Kristen Llobrera — March 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

These look awesome and so easy to make! I love spicy pulled chicken and I love anything that you can just throw in the crockpot. Can’t wait to try them!

Judith — March 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

My husband and I made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Nona — May 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried freezing this? I dont eat meat, but I am thinking about making this for my husband but there is no way he could eat a whole pot to himself.

• beantownbaker — May 7th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Like most crockpot meals, this meat freezes just fine. I like to portion it out into individual sized portions prior to freezing so you can just grab one and go.

Julia — November 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi! I made this last year and it was a huge hit. I want to make it again for a holiday pot luck, but when I looked at the recipe today, it seemed to have the directions listed twice, and no ingredient amounts. I was able to find the recipe at eating Well, but wanted to let you know that there may be something wrong here.

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

Thanks for the update. I am fixing the post now. Glad this recipe was a success for you!

Nollywood — October 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm