Homemade Chicken Broth and Veggie Chicken Soup in the Crockpot

Remember the chicken that I posted a couple weeks ago? The butterflied and broiled chicken recipe that Hubby loves to make (I think it’s because he loves using his big sharp knives). Well it yields a delicious chicken that is sure to impress. But it also yields some great chicken brother and veggie chicken soup.

I read about making homemade chicken broth in a crockpot and was shocked at literally how easy it is. Now I do this every time Hubby makes a chicken and we always have homemade chicken broth in the freezer. Not to mention the pureed veggie soup (Hubby loves taking it in his lunch).

I like to have my crockpot cook overnight and then let the broth cool during the day while we’re at work. It takes all day for that pot of deliciousness to cool down enough to be able to handle it.

To start, place all the ingredients in your crockpot and turn it on LOW for about 8-10 hours. Then turn crockpot off and allow to cool another 8-10 hours.

Once the broth has cooked and chilled, place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies and bones.

Next, if you plan to make the pureed veggie soup, sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash)and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl. If you don’t want to make the veggie soup, throw the veggie out as well.

Place the veggies and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth. I like to then portion out the broth and soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer and be ready to enjoy your homemade chicken broth and pureed veggie soup!

One Year Ago: Almond Joy Cupcakes

Homemade Chicken Broth – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Place chicken carcass, vegetables, and garlic into crockpot. Add Italian seasoning and water. Cook on Low 8-10 hours.

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Throw away the veggies and bones.

Portion out the broth using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Homemade Pureed Veggie and Chicken Soup – adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
Printable Recipe
chicken carcass and leftover veggies from butterflied and broiled chicken
OR
store bought rotisserie chicken carcass
chopped onion
bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups baby carrots
small bunch of green onions, chopped

head of garlic, pealed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
6 cups of water

Turn off crockpot and allow to cool completely (another 8-10 hours).

Place a colander in a large bowl. Pour the contents of the crockpot into the colander so it catches all the solid veggies, chicken pieces, and bones. Sort through what’s in the colander. Place the bones in one bowl (for trash) and the chicken pieces that fell off the bones and the soft, mushy veggies and garlic in another bowl.

Place the chicken, veggies, and garlic in a blender along with a cup or two of the chicken broth. Puree until smooth.

Portion out the soup using a 1 cup measuring cup and a plastic bag.

Place the bags in a pan and freeze. Once frozen flat, place bags in freezer.

Bookmark and Share

33 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Pork”

Taylor — March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I don’t really like pork, but you make it looks so good! 🙂

Happy 250th post. <3

[http://dlishfoods.wordpress.com]

Jen — March 24, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Taylor! This really is an amazing pulled pork recipe if you are ever in the mood for pork.

Mermaid Sweets — March 24, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I really need a crock pot – this looks great and I am bookmarking it for when I do get one, my husband loves pulled pork sandwiches.

Ashley — March 25, 2009 at 12:15 am

This looks awesome! I love making pulled pork in the crockpot 🙂

Stephanie — March 25, 2009 at 2:27 am

This looks great! I have been in search of a good pulled pork recipe.

Happy 250th post!

Kerstin — March 25, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love all the spices you used on the pork – it looks so tender and yummy! Congrats on 250 posts!

Ashley — June 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Hey Jen, this is Ashley (formerly) from Performance in Evendale! I found your blog through some others and I love it …. we tried this recipe last night and it. was. amazing. Thank you! Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous, can’t wait to see the final pictures.

Katrina — June 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Hi! I made your recipe last night for my extended family. They RAVED about it! I posted a link back to this post. Thanks again!

Jen — July 1, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hey Ashley! I always get a kick out of when people I know in real life find my blog. We LOVE this recipe.

michelle — October 5, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Well, 6 months later, I come upon your recipe through Google and it is amazing!! I served this up to some dinner guests and we all loved it!! It IS the best pulled pork recipe and I thank you for leaving it here for me to find!

nupike — February 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm

We tried this recipe over the weekend (with a couple of minor tweaks) and it came out great!

Thanks for posting.

alamodestuff — February 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

This is our new favorite pulled pork recipe! Thanks for posting it!

Joshua and Stacie — March 6, 2010 at 1:23 am

About how many did this serve?

Jen — March 7, 2010 at 4:29 am

Joshua and Stacie – the recipe says it serves 6, but I’d say it serves more like 8.

Nichole — August 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm

thanks for the recipe. I’ve been searching for a good one.

Anonymous — October 18, 2012 at 2:19 am

This was a great recipe! It was my first pork roast, and it was so easy. My 7 lb roast was fork tender in 8 hours.

MK — June 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Started this the other day and had it in the crockpot all day today. So delicious. Very satisfied husband. Thanks for posting this!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

So glad your husband enjoyed this. This recipe is in our regular rotation.

nonniz — July 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Love this recipe. Have used it many times and it always gets rave reviews. Making it again this weekend.

• beantownbaker — July 4th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Glad you enjoy it! We love it too and make it on a regular weekend. Especially since it freezes so well!

Lauretta Dane — August 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

What Barbeque sauce did you prefer. There are so many different flavors out there these days?

Stephanie Walsh — October 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Only complaint from people when I made this was…”Why didn’t you make more??!?!” Love Love Love this recipe!
    Thanks for publishing!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:25 am

I get that a lot too! So glad you enjoyed it!!

Val — October 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm

This recipe is awesome!!! I have only made pulled pork a few times but was never a huge fan as I found them to be too BBQ sauce flavored! I saw this recipe on pinterest and decided to try it tonight for dinner! OMG it is FANTBULOUS!!!!!! I love the rb idea and honestly I could have done without the BBQ sauce as the drippings and sauce in the pot was amazing with the pork on its own! I did add the bq sauce however and was still quite impressed! This recipe had changed my whole opinion of pulled pork! Kudos on a great spice rub blend!!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

So glad I was able to convert you to a pulled pork fan! I actually have a batch of this cooking in the crockpot as I type. It’s going to cook overnight for my sister and her husband since they’re new parents and it freezes so well.

Brooke — October 22, 2013 at 12:21 am

This is the easiest and I’m sure tastiest recipe I’ve ever found. I just rubbed all the spices on the pork and it’s marinating in the fridge right now…. I will cook it tomorrow morning I’m very excited about serving this to my family. I’ll come back and post how it was!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:29 am

I’ve got a batch cooking in the crockpot right now! I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Brigette — December 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I tried this tonight and OMG it was delicious! That rub really makes it. I couldn’t let it sit in the fridge for days but it was still amazing. I will definitely be making this again.

• beantownbaker — December 17th, 2013 @ 10:55 am

So glad you enjoyed it! We really love this recipe and make it all the time.

Mary — July 3, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Hi. I am making this as we speak for tomorrow. My only concern the spices seem a little over powering. When I opened the crockpot to check on it it seemed very spicey. Is that what you experience?

Robin — January 17, 2016 at 11:41 am

This is one of the best crockpot pork recipes ever! I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce or make my own secret barbecue sauce. Either way it is the best. We also use the rub when my husband cooks a shoulder on the grill. Great find – thanks!

Jen Brothers — February 15, 2016 at 7:48 am

Sounds delish! What brand and flavor bbq sauce did you use, exactly?