Maple Syrup and Birthday Cupcakes

This past weekend a good friend from high school was visiting Boston. K had a conference here last week and stayed to hang out this weekend.Β On top of hanging out with friends, Butler made it to the Final Four! K went to Butler and is the president of his local alumni club!

On Saturday we decided to partake in some local fun by heading up to New Hampshire to go to a maple house where they boil maple syrup. We had beautiful weather on Saturday. It was a bit chilly but sunny and not a cloud in the sky. After arriving at the Grant Family Maple House, we had some food and got in line to learn all about how maple syrup is made.

What we learned is that the sap from the trees has about 2-3% sugar in it straight from the tree. At that percentage, it would take 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup!! So they first condense the sap until it reaches about 8% sugar. The sap is then boiled to evaporate off the water.

Once the temperature reads 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, you have syrup! The guy in the maple house even explained how they use a baraometer on the wall to get the barometric pressure so they know the exact boiling temperature of water for that given day. It was all very scientific and extremely interesting.

The small bottles of maple syrup were a sample from each batch they had made at the maple house this season. The guy explained that as the season goes on, the syrup tends to get darker due to the change in the amount of sugar in the sap.

Of course, we had to get some maple products while we were there. Obviously, maple syrup. We also got some maple candies, some maple sugar, and some maple pepper. Can’t wait to find creative ways to use the sugar and pepper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Also, since K’s birthday was last week, I made him some cupcakes to celebrate. I went with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I love that you can whip these up by dirtying only one bowl and using a whisk! I dipped them in some ganache and topped with festive sprinkles. Aren’t they pretty?

19 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream”

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles — January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yum that looks delicious and welcome back to my hometown! Cincinnati’s actually a great town that grows on you and has been evolving quite a bit in the time that you’ve been away. I suspect given your profession and work location history that we probably work for the same company as our day jobs ;).

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Yes, Cincinnati has changed a LOT since we moved away in 2007.

I would suspect you’re right. There’s enough info to know where I work, especially if you work here too πŸ˜‰ Going to go check out your blog now. I would love to meet some other Cincinnati area bloggers!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Ok I work for the *other* big company in town (just checked your About page).

Eva @ Eva Bakes — January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

Isn’t the KA ice cream attachment the best thing ever? I am always making ice cream, even in the wintertime, but I never thought of using canned coconut milk as the base. I’ll have to try this out soon!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 11:37 am

Absolutely. I didn’t think I could love my KAM any more than I already did. The ice cream attachment proved that I can.

Cara — January 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have lots of cans of coconut milk laying around and I know they make a good ice cream! Adding this one to my list πŸ™‚

tracy {pale yellow} — January 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I bought myself KA ice creamer maker for my birthday this summer and I adore it! I’ve been thinking about making non-dairy ice creams, but the recipes all sounded strange. It’s great to see a recipe from a trusted source. Can’t wait to try.

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Let me know what you think if you try it. I am going to be experimenting with different milks since I can’t have cow’s milk…

Shannon — January 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

love coconut milk based ice creams!! this one looks fabulous, and good call throwing in those oreos πŸ˜‰

• beantownbaker — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

It’s ALWAYS a good idea to throw oreos in πŸ™‚

Sabine — January 29, 2013 at 12:07 am

My brother’s favorite thing to get at Coldstone is chocolate oreo ice cream. Too bad I don’t have an ice cream maker, or I would definitely try this!

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I’ve been told you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. I never tried it before I got mine though…

Mary — January 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made your recipe and luckily I tasted it before I cooled it. The ratio of sugar to cocoa powder is off. You should use at least twice the amount of sugar to cocoa powder in order for it not to have a horribly bitter taste. After adding more sugar it had a nice sweet to chocolately balance. Thanks for the recipe, my daughter is lactose intolerant and she will enjoy it.

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I am glad you were able to adjust this recipe to suit your needs. Hubby and I both enjoyed the sweetness level of this recipe. I’m sure different cocoa powders have different levels of sweetness. I plan to try this recipe without the cocoa powder to make vanilla ice cream too. We loved the creaminess of it!

Efrain Stamper — March 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

This look yummy and chocolate ice cream is one of my favorite. Thanks for sharing the directions and ingredients.

Sara — April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

I just opened a can of coconut milk and it looked extremely curdled. I shook it a lot but it was still completely curdled. Is that how coconut milk is supposed to be out of the can? Are there any brands that you specifically like to use?

Raigon — October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Oh how I wish I could try this.. I am currently gluten and dairy free.. However this being dairy free is is not gluten free with the oreo’s… Bummer!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

I’ve made this recipe again without the Oreos and it’s really good. Not quite as good as with the Oreos, but if you wanted to make it gluten free, just leave them out.