Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

These are the second cupcakes that I took to our holiday potluck (and my second Cupcake Hero entry). They consist of a chocolate cupcake, white chocolate peppermint ganache filling, and peppermint Swiss meringue buttercream. They were delicious and in fact one person at the potluck said it was the best cupcake he’d ever had in his entire life. I think that’s a good compliment! This chocolate cupcake recipe could possibly be my new go-to chocolate cupcake recipe.. It comes together very easily and the addition of the coffee rounds out the chocolate flavor very well. I made a half batch and got 12 cupcakes. I scaled down the frosting recipe to 3/4 of the original recipe and it made the right amount of frosting for my 12 cupcakes (I put a lot on each one).

I got inspiration for these cupcakes from Fields of Cake and Other Good Stuff. I saw these in my Google Reader and knew I had to try them. They definitely did not disappoint. To make the stripes in the frosting, I painted the inside of the piping bag, similar to how I did for the Peppermint Chocolate Meringue Cookies. I also made my filling the day before I filled the cupcakes, so all of the candy canes dissolved and mixed completely into the white chocolate.

Dark Chocolate Cake – from Allrecipes.com – makes 24 cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup cold brewed coffee
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, milk, oil and vinegar. Mix until smooth, batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes (for the cupcakes, I baked them about 22 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

White Chocolate Peppermint Ganache – from Fields of Cake and Other Good Things
14 ounces white chocolate chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (best you can afford…look for cocoa butter in the ingredients)
2/3 cup heavy cream
8 candy canes crushed

Place white chocolate in medium heat proof bowl. Heat heavy cream in small pot until ALMOST to a boil, immediately pour over the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then stir until smooth. Allow to cool. When it has cooled, add the crushed candy canes and fold in.

If you want it to be crunchy, use within the day. If you want it to have some liquid pockets allow it to age a day or two (in the fridge of course). You can bring it back to room temperature before using again.

Mint Swiss Meringue Buttercream – from How to Eat a Cupcake
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons peppermint extract (more if you like it really minty)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put egg whites and sugar in a double boiler over simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees).

Pour heated egg mixture into a clean bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 8 minutes (It’s very important to beat it for the whole 8 minutes).

Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If frosting appears soupy or separated after all butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.)

Beat in extracts. Reduce speed to low; beat 2 minutes to eliminate air bubbles. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.

18 Responses to “Browned Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies”

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

I have my tried and true ATK version but I always love discovering new chocolate chip cookie recipes!

Elizabeth — March 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Brown butter makes everything better!

In and Around Town — March 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

I am pretty boring with chocolate chip cookies and stick with the recipe on the back of the bag, but the size of these and the twist on ingredients makes me want to give these a go!

Mrs. Williams — March 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

I use half the bag of chips too – I like them that way! 🙂 I might have to give this one a shot – I really liked the brown butter oatmeal chocolate chip I made last week.

Judy — March 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love trying new ccc recipes also.  You don’t mention what the texture of the cookie is.  I like crispy edges and chewy centers, very hard to find.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — March 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

Well, I know what’s happening with the half block of cream cheese in my fridge just waiting to be used up! Cookies are in my future, score. 😉

Colleen — March 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love adding sea salt to chocolate things! I haven’t tried it on chocolate chip cookies, but it sounds delicious.

Carrie's Sweet Life — March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

These look awesome, I am still searching for the perfect recipe!

PB and Peppers — March 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

The cookies sound amazing!  I love the addition of cream cheese!  CC is my favorite cookie and I am terrified to make them because I have no self control.  I love the dough and I love the cookie!!

Megan — April 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

These sound like they take the best components of all my favorite cookies (browned butter, a sprinkling of sea salt) and merge them together.

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I always stick with Tollhouse cookies. I need to open my eyes to the wide world of chocolate chip cookies varieties out there!

Courtney — April 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

I made these today and they were fantastic–thanks for sharing the recipe! (*^_^*)

mega — May 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

aahh this is recipe that i looking for to make choco chip cookies… thank you for post it 🙂

Kaila — January 4, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Made these but didn’t know you have to refrigerate the dough prior to baking hope they come out okay!

• beantownbaker — January 5th, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

They should still turn out ok. They might spread a bit more than mine do. Let me know how they come out!

Arghavan — February 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Made these with the kiddies today and WOW! They are delicious! It made a lot of dough though (I made smaller cookies than the recipe called for), can I freeze the dough in small balls?

Jess — February 19, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Making these today! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. I have another great brown butter choc chip recipe but never tried with cream cheese. Thought I would share my tip for the sea salt…I love a salted cookie! I wait until the cookies have cooled 5 minutes before sprinkling, it’s not too hot that the salt sinks into the batter but not too cold that the salt just bounces off.

Clara Gonzalez — November 22, 2021 at 12:01 pm

These look amazing! I am definitely going to make them!