Maple Syrup and Birthday Cupcakes

This past weekend a good friend from high school was visiting Boston. K had a conference here last week and stayed to hang out this weekend. On top of hanging out with friends, Butler made it to the Final Four! K went to Butler and is the president of his local alumni club!

On Saturday we decided to partake in some local fun by heading up to New Hampshire to go to a maple house where they boil maple syrup. We had beautiful weather on Saturday. It was a bit chilly but sunny and not a cloud in the sky. After arriving at the Grant Family Maple House, we had some food and got in line to learn all about how maple syrup is made.

What we learned is that the sap from the trees has about 2-3% sugar in it straight from the tree. At that percentage, it would take 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup!! So they first condense the sap until it reaches about 8% sugar. The sap is then boiled to evaporate off the water.

Once the temperature reads 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, you have syrup! The guy in the maple house even explained how they use a baraometer on the wall to get the barometric pressure so they know the exact boiling temperature of water for that given day. It was all very scientific and extremely interesting.

The small bottles of maple syrup were a sample from each batch they had made at the maple house this season. The guy explained that as the season goes on, the syrup tends to get darker due to the change in the amount of sugar in the sap.

Of course, we had to get some maple products while we were there. Obviously, maple syrup. We also got some maple candies, some maple sugar, and some maple pepper. Can’t wait to find creative ways to use the sugar and pepper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Also, since K’s birthday was last week, I made him some cupcakes to celebrate. I went with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I love that you can whip these up by dirtying only one bowl and using a whisk! I dipped them in some ganache and topped with festive sprinkles. Aren’t they pretty?

9 Responses to “I’ll have S’more”

Elly — March 11, 2008 at 2:50 am

These look SO good. I was actually looking for s’mores _____ because I wanted to bake something with chocolate and marshmallows. These may be just the thing!

Michelle — March 11, 2008 at 2:58 am

These are so cute! Now I’m craving real smores!

slush — March 11, 2008 at 3:02 am

So freakin cute, I love them, so would my boys. Just today, Liam was picking up sticks in the yard and asked if he could start a fire so that he could make smores. I kid you not. He is 5. Where do they get these ideas?

Adorable Jen! Thanks so much!

CB — March 11, 2008 at 3:03 am

I lurve smores! Your mini smore cupcakes are so fabulous. Great job!
    -Clara

Jaime — March 11, 2008 at 4:43 am

yum! what a great idea!

bakingblonde — March 11, 2008 at 11:55 am

That idea is brilliant! Smores is one of my favorite all time treats and who doesn’t love a mini muffin? Wow, what a great idea.

kate — March 12, 2008 at 3:06 pm

WOW. those look completely luscious!
    want some.
    i’m hoping to enter the hero challenge this time, but i can’t quite decide what to make. . .

———–
    kate
    join the cookie carnival!

Erin — March 19, 2008 at 1:42 pm

These are so wrong, but so right! That batch would be seriously unsafe in my house. They’d have to be given away immediately or I’d risk eating every last one and never fitting in my pants again.

Sarah — March 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

These will be perfect for an upcoming family vacation. We’re not camping, but are renting a house with a fire pit and we usually spend every night out there making s’mores. I can easily make the cupcakes beforehand and then we can roast the marshmallows outside. It will be something cute and different. Thanks for this recipe!!!