Layered Marshmallow Brownies

These brownies are amazing. Super-sweet and fudgy and amazing. They have a layer of fudge-like brownie, topped with a layer of marshmallows, and lastly, a sweet chocolate frosting layer. I’ve seen these come up in a variety of blogs over the last year or so since they first appeared Baking Blonde’s blog almost two years ago!

I prefer my brownies nice and thick, so I decided to make the recipe in an 8×8 pan instead of the 9×13 called for in the recipe. The brownie layer did take a significantly longer amount of time to bake, but I think the outcome was worth it.

At first taste, I wasn’t completely sold on these. I had put them in the fridge to cool and after I cut them, I tasted an edge piece. They were a bit too sweet. I’m sure many of you doubt that I could ever think a dessert was too sweet, but I did. They were so sweet in fact, that I didn’t take them with me to the get together as I had planned. I left them out on the counter while I was gone and gave them another taste when I got home. The sweetness had died down, and while they are still very sweet, they weren’t too sweet anymore. So I would definitely recommend serving these at room temperature, not when they’re cold.

I cut them fairly small since they are pretty intense (16 pieces for an 8×8 pan, after trimming off the edges). I took them to work with my and my coworkers thoroughly enjoyed them.

One Year Ago: Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Quiche
Two Years Ago: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Dairy Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting

Frosted Marshmallow Brownies – adapted from Baking Blonde

10 Responses to “Chocolate Fudge Swirl Ice Cream”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — August 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

My ice cream with coconut milk keeps freezing solid, into a very solid rock. Any ideas what the problem is? I have a recipe going up tomorrow, with a disclaimer that you need to defrost it if you freeze it overnight, heh…

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Hm. I have noticed that some of my ice creams do need to sit on the counter for a bit before they’re scoopable. But I haven’t noticed if it’s related to the coconut milk or not… Mine is usually fine after sitting out for 10 minutes or so…

Shannon — August 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

you are on a roll with the frozen treats! sounds like its been a good summer 🙂

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:34 am

I definitely am on a roll this summer… Homemade ice cream is just so dang good.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — August 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Love that you use coconut milk with all of this chocolate!

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

I love the subtle coconut flavor that it provides!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — August 19, 2013 at 9:05 am

So much chocolaty goodness, wow I need this in my life. This ice cream looks beyond amazing!! Pinning :))

Nutmeg Nanny — August 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Chocolate fudge <3 oh my! This looks wonderful!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — August 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

That’s where those extra pounds have come from! Delicious homemade ice cream ruins all diets, but it’s just so yummy! This batch looks fantastic!

• beantownbaker — August 23rd, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Absolutely! It’s so worth it.