Cous Cous Salad with Butternut Squash and Cranberries

Today’s Week of Cranberries recipe features dried cranberries again. I know I say this a lot, but when I saw this recipe pop up in my Google Reader, I knew I needed to make this recipe. It has some of my favorite flavors all in one bowl. Hubby and I absolutely love butternut squash. We can’t get enough of it. I’ve made risotto, bisque, pie, soup, chili, and even quesadillas with butternut squash! And we couldn’t get enough of this salad! I enjoyed it cold better than room temperature, but Hubby prefered it at room temp. Either way it’s delicious.

The combination of these flavors is great. When I was mixing up the salad, I thought the chickpeas seemed a bit off, but they were one of my favorites in the salad. They add a nice dimension of texture to the salad. The spices in the dressing are an amazing combination which enhances the fall flavors of this salad. The other great thing about this salad is how easy it is to throw together. I plan on bringing this as a side dish for a holiday potluck because you can definitely make it the night before.

Print Save

Cous Cous Salad with Butternut Squash and Cranberries

Yield: ~5 servings

1 medium butternut squash (or other hard winter squash), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks - I used the pre-peeled and pre-cut butternut squash
3/4 cup uncooked cous cous
1 cup water
1 onion, diced
4-5 tablespoons white wine vinegar - I didn't have any, so I used 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar and 2 Tbsp white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
Zest of one orange
1/2 teaspoon coriander - I left this out because I didn't have any
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cumin
1-3 teaspoons salt (to taste)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss squash with a bit of olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast squash, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 30 minutes. Allow to cool before combining with other ingredients.

Heat water in sauce pan to boiling. Add cous cous and stir. Remove pan from heat, cover with a lid, and let sit for about 15 minutes until the cous cous has absorbed all the water. Fluff with a fork and set aside.

Saute onion in a skillet over medium-high heat until translucent. Set aside and allow to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, zest, spices, and 1 teaspoon of salt. In a large bowl, combine squash, cous cous, onions, garbanzo beans, and cranberries. Pour on the vinegar-oil dressing and stir to combine. Taste to check seasoning and add salt if needed. This salad can be served room temperature or cold.

Recipe from Erin's Food Files

Check out my week of Cranberries here.

13 Responses to “Chicken Gyros”

yumventures — July 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love making a bunch of different recipes and having them come together in one awesome meal! This looks so delicious, especially with the heat we’ve been having!

Manne — July 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Next time I come over, I insist we either have these delicious looking Gyros or go to the Turkish restaurant you talked about.

We Are Not Martha — July 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Wow, I love that addiction to the stove! Your chicken gyros look super flavorful and like the perfect hot day lunch!

Lauren — July 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love that every aspect of this meal is homemade… yum! What is the name of the Turkish restaurant? I need to check it out :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 9, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I just made something similar and they were great! LOVE the sauce! Thanks!

biz319 — July 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Can’t wait for you to post the recipe – I am putting it on my menu for next week. 😀

I used to make tzatziki sauce too -until my grocery store started selling it for .99 cents for a 16 ounce container – so cheap!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I love me a traditional, good, lamb gyro- but these look delicious! I might have to break out of my comfort zone 🙂

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Julie — July 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

We definitely have to try these…yum!

brettb734 — July 11, 2010 at 2:46 am

Those look delicious, I will have to try those!

Sheena — July 13, 2010 at 12:20 am

Can the pita bread dough be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight? I want to make these tomorrow for dinner but will not have time for the 90 minute and then 20 minute rise times. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Cara — July 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

welcome to the bandwagon! love Elly’s recipe!

Jen — July 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Manne – sounds like a plan

Lauren – It’s called Brookline Family Restaurant and it’s on Washington St in Brookline Village. Definitely check it out if you’re in the area.

Sheena – I’m not sure about freezing the pita bread dough. I’m sure it would be fine as other bread doughs can be frozen and used later. Let me know how it goes if you try it!