Butternut Squash Risotto

Hubby and I love butternut squash. I’ve never actually cooked with it until this year, but I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. I saw this recipe come up in my Google Reader and added a star to the post so that I would try it sometime soon.

I doubled the recipe because I wasn’t sure how much it would make (it would have been fine to not double it) but I forgot to put the Parmesan cheese in. I did sprinkle some on top and it is very good with the cheese. I would recommend using freshly grated Parmesan cheese, but I’m lactose intolerant, so I used the dairy-free Parmesan-cheese-in-a-green-tube.

I used frozen cubed butternut squash. This was definitely the way to go. Cooking and cubing a squash is not fun (or so I’ve heard – I always buy frozen or pre-cut). By doubling the recipe, I used exactly 1 bag of frozen squash. The recipe below is not doubled. I’d say it makes about 6 servings. Hubby and I were eating this stuff for a couple days and we both loved it!

Butternut Squash Risotto – from Bean’s Bistro
2 Tbsp. Butter or Olive Oil
1 or 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Onion, finely chopped
1 C. Arborio (Risotto) Rice
1 C. White Wine
3+ C. Chicken Broth, warmed
1 C. Butternut Squash, cooked and cubed
2-3 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese, grated

In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic and onion and saute until delicious smelling!

Stir in rice and coat with oil/ butter and let heat up, about 1 minute.

Pour in white wine and stir, continuing over medium heat. The wine should start to bubble and soak into the rice. If you do not want to use wine, you may just use the equivalent amount of chicken broth.

Add in 1/2 C. (or so) of chicken broth and stir. The broth should simmer and slowly soak into the rice. Stir every couple of minutes to make sure the rice is not burning and sticking on the bottom and to make sure there is enough liquid. Once most of the liquid is absorbed, add in another 1/2 C. and repeat the process.

With around 1 C. of broth remaining, stir in the squash. As the rice finishes cooking, the squash should cook further, getting softer and breaking into tiny pieces with the rice. You will get a lovely orange color and the rice will almost be coated with the squash.

Continue adding in the broth until the rice is thoroughly cooked through. If you need more broth to get a tender, al dente texture, add more in.

Just before serving, stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. (I sprinkled it on after serving it).

12 Responses to “Strawberry and Beer Sorbet”

tracy {pale yellow} — February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Three ingredients? Amazing, I can’t wait to try this for myself!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

If you make it, let me know what beer/fruit combo you use. I can’t wait to try different combinations.

tracy {pale yellow} — February 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I just made it last night and used frozen strawberries and Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. Amazing!!! So creamy without any dairy. I’ll be posting the recipe on my site next week.

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

First of all, I haven’t had that beer, but it sounds tasty on it’s own. I’m sure it was delicious with the strawberries in this sorbet. So glad you enjoyed it. Let me know when your post goes up!

Shannon — February 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

what an interesting idea! love that you can still taste the individual flavors 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I loved it too. Even though when you say Strawberry and Beer Sorbet people kind of look at you like you’re crazy….

Tiffany — February 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

This sounds awesome and I know my husband would love it but we don’t have an ice cream maker. Is there an alternative way to make it?

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Jen , thanks for joining the link up for Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter. I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the other links. I have been reading them all and must say my ice cream cravings are now almost out of control! Cheers

Ps I am signing up to follow your blog. A follow back would be great – or maybe you have already?

Jimmie — August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I work in a brewpub in Boulder. I’m gonna try this out with fresh peaches, honey, and a strong belgian golden ale. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Oh man – that sounds awesome. I have a TON of peaches in my house right now… I just made a blueberry variety the other night.