Banana Bread

Now that black Friday is upon us, some people are out fighting the crowds for a great deal. Personally, I’ve never been one for shopping on black Friday. I’d rather just lounge around and enjoy my food hangover and cold turkey sandwiches.

It’s very common around our families to enjoy some foods that you can just graze on during black Friday. Banana bread, apple cake, monkey bread, or pumpkin bread are favorites of mine. Banana bread is such a classic that I feel like everyone has their own recipe. This one comes from Hubby’s Nana. Hubby grew up loving it so he loves when I make it for him.

Like most breads, this banana bread freezes wonderfully. I like to make this recipe into mini-loafs or muffins so I can freeze some. And, when blueberries are in season, I like to throw in a cup or so of blueberries as well.

Print Save

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

1 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 egg
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg and beat. Add mashed bananas and mix together. Add dry ingredients and mix.

For bread: grease a loaf pan. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For muffins: line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Portion batter into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 min. Makes ~10 muffins.

Recipe from Hubby's Nana

15 Responses to “Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love blueberries in pancakes and waffles. They’ve gotta be good in cinnamon rolls too!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — August 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yum! I have always wanted to make my own cinnamon rolls but have always been a tad nervous about he process!!! These look amazing with the blueberries!!

P.S. I found your blog today when you posted that you were from Boston on Tina’s blog! I am from just outside of Boston too!

nicole — September 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

these look amazing. I love cinnamon rolls, and this combo sounds great!

Kelly Delafield — October 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Can you tell me how to make the frosting?

Maureen — April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I love the blueberry, I tried swapping them with raspberries and they were just as good if not better. Love the base recipe.

Aimee — July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I made these today cheating with crescent roll dough. They were amazing!

cindy chisholm — February 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Da bomb! Brilliant, as well as yummy:)
    Thank you! I will make an impression at brunch tomorrow..lol

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Made these for Easter breakfast (blueberry cinnamon rolls, hardboiled eggs, and thick sliced ham slices). What a delicious treat! I don’t know if I’ll ever go back “regular” cinnamon rolls again! I cut the recipe in half. Perfect amount for my husband, myself, and 3 teenaged boys. Honestly, I can’t say enough about this recipe. These rolls are worth every minute spent making them. To avoid having to get up so early, I saved the second rise for the morning. After slicing the rolls and placing them in the greased pan, I covered them tightly with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge overnight. I took them out of the fridge and let them set at room temperature to rise for about an hour before placing them in the oven. They were perfect! Thanks so much!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!! I’ve done the second rise the next morning as well.

Robin — April 26, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Forgot to mention that a step was left out of the recipe: it never tells you to sprinkle the rolled out dough with sugar and cinnamon mixture (& 2 T flour?).

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the recipe to reflect this.

Karina — June 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi there – I was wondering if this dough would be okay to freeze? I’m a novice when it comes to anything baking related!

Glennis — July 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I found that the cinnamon was over powering. I will add 3 tsp next time 4 Tablespoons was way to much.

Diane — July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Is there any kneading involved???