Red Wine Jelly

Ahem, ahem. Hello out there. Anyone still listening? It’s been MONTHS since my last post. And even longer since my last recipe was posted… (almost a year, in fact!) But I’m here now. Not sure how long I’ll be around or where this blog is going to end up, but I’ve got some free time so I decided to dust off the cobwebs and give you guys a recipe.

Red Wine Jelly

This recipe is fitting since I’m writing to you from Italy. Hubby and I are here for 5 weeks while he tackles a special project for work. While he’s off saving the day, baby M and I get to explore our new city and just hang out again. In all of those months since my last post, I’ve been busy. If you follow me on instagram, you’ve seen the pics of my daughter Mikayla and some of the adventures we’ve had. Here’s one for you, in case you missed it. She just started eating food and has really enjoyed it so far!

IMG_20150928_002230

Life is good and I’m not going to lie, there are weeks and even months that have passed and I haven’t missed writing a blog. I have transitioned to telling people that I used to write a blog, instead of saying I write a blog as a hobby. I’ve come to terms with it. But recently, I’ve been having an itch to come back. To share some of these draft posts that have been sitting in the queue forever. So we’ll see where the wind takes us and what happens next with this little blog.

Red Wine Jelly

In addition to taking on the new role of working mom, I also picked up sewing during maternity leave. I find it easier to sew at home with a newborn than to bake. If I’m sewing and she needs my attention, I can stop what I’m doing. Baking doesn’t always afford that luxury. So you might see some sewing posts on here. Who knows!

Red Wine Jelly

This jelly is tasty. Be sure to use a bold red wine so the flavor shines through. And don’t be afraid to skimp on the honey a bit. I found that if I used the full amount listed in the recipe, the jelly tasted mostly like honey. I like honey, but making jelly that tastes like honey is just silly. Who has time for that… If you make this jelly, I highly recommend eating it over some crusty bread with a smooth creamy cheese.

Red Wine Jelly

And if you’re reading, leave a comment. I’m grossly behind on responding to comments, but I’d love to hear from you!

Print Save

Red Wine Jelly

Yield: 6 half pints

Ingredients:

2 cups dry red wine (I used Merlot)
1 pkg (= 1.75 oz = 6 Tbsp) regular powdered fruit pectin
3 1/2 cups honey

Directions:

In a dutch oven combine wine and pectin. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Add honey all at once. Return to boiling. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle hot jelly at once into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, add lid and screw caps. Process jars in a boiling water-canner for 5 minutes, starting when the water returns to boiling. Remove jars; cool on wire racks.

Recipe from Better Recipes

16 Responses to “Red Wine Jelly”

colleen @ Secrets from the Cookie Princess — October 2, 2015 at 10:03 am

Cool recipe–sounds great!

And I hear you on the blog writing hiatus, mama. My little one is 9 1/2 months and my blog has definitely been put on the back burner. Though I still cook and play with recipes (we gotta eat), I’ve just decided that when time is precious, I’d rather spend it with him than photographing, writing and posting. I’m sure I’ll get back to it when he’s a little more independent (or at least willing to play by himself for more than a few minutes at a time). You were one of the blogs that inspired me to start writing my own, so I hope you eventually find the swing of things that works for you again. Until then, enjoy that precious face.

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 2:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I love hearing from people I inspired to start blogging 🙂 Warms my heart. I am hoping to find a rhythm that works with our new life as a family of three.

Barbara — October 2, 2015 at 9:47 pm

I’ve always enjoyed reading your blog and making your recipes! Your blog is one of the first I ever discovered and became hooked on reading bloggers! One of the first things I ever made were your peppermint patty cookies and still get requests one year later from friends that I hardly see. Those are a hit! Very memorable.
    So glad you felt the itch to come back to writing. Yay!

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 2:58 pm

Thanks for leaving this comment. Those cookies get tons of requests from my friends and family too! They’re great. Hoping to keep scratching this itch when we get back from Italy. Our WiFi here is painfully slow…

Cindy S. — October 3, 2015 at 10:47 am

I really enjoy reading all the things in your blog, I also love the fact that you are getting to explore a whole new country. I find that fascinating and would love to travel but that takes money of which I have none….lol So I will just live vicariously thru your posts!! The jelly sounds terrific will have to put on my to make list. What kind of cheese is it that you paired with it? Give that baby a squeeze and y’all keep exploring !!!

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 3:00 pm

The cheese in the pic is a goat milk brie. It’s delicious. When my lactose intolerance is flaring up, I have to avoid cow’s milk. I’ve honestly come to prefer goat and sheep milk cheese because of it. And the goat milk brie comes in such a cute little package. You can find it at Trader Joes or even most big grocery stores.

Hope I’m doing justice to your living vicariously through us 🙂

Tracy | Pale Yellow — October 4, 2015 at 10:51 am

Welcome back! I’ve always enjoyed your posts, I’m glad your family is doing well and having adventures. This recipe looks lovely! I image it would make a lovely addition to a fancy cheese tray!

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 3:01 pm

Thanks! It would be great with some fancy cheese. That is one thing we’ve really enjoyed here in Italy. I wish we could bring a ton home…

Ted — October 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Hi Jen, I was wondering about how you were doing not too long ago. Happy to hear from you!

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 3:02 pm

Hey Ted! I don’t have many readers who I knew in real life before I started blogging! Things are good. Hope all is well with you.

Beth — October 13, 2015 at 9:22 am

welcome back,I hope,i have missed your posts ..I have followed you since you were in Boston and have always enjoyed your notes and recipes…I too love to sew so maybe you can let me in on a few secrets and I will share some with you..:o)…your daughter looks like an angel….bless your family and keep the posts coming….

• beantownbaker — October 16th, 2015 @ 3:04 pm

Thanks for reading and sticking around during the radio silence period. Hoping it doesn’t continue much longer… I’m actually taking a 6 week beginners sewing class that I’m loving. We’ve done a zipper and piping and applique so far.

Carol — October 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Hi! I’m a blog “lurker”…use them for the recipes and tutorials, but never leave comments. But I HAD to this time. Backstory: I used your recipes every time I had to bake something. I LOVE your approach to baking! (and once upon a time was single woman living in Boston) Anyway, I had two small kids and loved reading your stuff…a young, career woman and wife….then moving half way across the country.
    Life got busy. My sewing took over any “blog lurking” time I had.
    Yesterday I needed your cheesecake recipe. I found your blog. Before I read your recent post I thought to myself, I wonder what that lady is up to these days…
    LOVED reading that Youre a momma now…and living half way around the world!
    We also had a baby girl this year (late in the game, but she completes our family ❤️). Anyway, just wanted to say congrates!…and good luck with the sewing!!

• beantownbaker — November 5th, 2015 @ 9:24 pm

This comment makes me smile ear to ear. Thanks for leaving it. So glad you came out of lurker mode to comment. I love hearing from people who have been reading for a while. Thanks for coming back after all this time!

Ashley (QLCC) — October 21, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Welcome back! 😀

Angelo — April 20, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I made this for Christmas presents this year. It turned out great and is quite tasty. Is great over brie and cream cheese. Also great over a croissant with white cheese.