Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

After writing up and then re-reading what I said in my Snickerdoodle Ice Cream post, I started to feel like a bad big sister. Afterall, my sister and her husband were driving 5 hours to come see us on their holiday weekend and I couldn’t even save them some ice cream that I had made with her in mind… So instead of feeling bad about it, I set out to make something else that they would enjoy.

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

When I saw this recipe in Google Reader with a star next to it, I knew it would be a winner. Not only does my sister love snickerdoodles, her husband loves cheesecake. So really, these bars are the perfect dessert to make for them. In fact, they’re pretty perfect to make for anyone.

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

Everyone who tried one couldn’t get enough of them. The same batter is used for the base of the bars as for the drops of snickerdoodle on top. You’ll notice that it’s ingredients are eerily similar to those of snickerdoodle cookies.

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

The cheesecake layer is a pretty standard cheesecake filling. No frills there, which makes it the perfect compliment to the cinnamony snickerdoodle components to these bars.

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

For the dollops of snickerdoodles on the top, I used my tiny cookie scoop to portion out dough. Dropping those little balls of dough “randomly” is harder for this engineer than I was expecting. I kept wanting to line them up in perfect formation.

I’m glad that my sister’s visit encouraged me to try this recipe. I think it’s one that going to be repeated in my house (and hers) in the future!

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

Four Years Ago: Chocolate Strawberry and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes and Coconut Raspberry Ice Cream Cupcakes
Five Years Ago: Blueberry Lemon Cookies and Stuffed Tomatoes

Print Save

Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars

The perfect marriage of snickerdoodles and cheesecake, in the ever popular bar format!

Yield: 16 bars

For Cinnamon Sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

For the Cookie Base
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (optional)

For the Cheesecake Layer
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp flour

Preheat oven to 350F.
For the Cinnamon sugar
Mix in a bowl until cinnamon is fully incorporated into sugar.

Butter an 8-x-8-inch baking pan. Use 1/8 cup of cinnamon sugar, place at the bottom of the pan, then rotate the pan around so that the cinnamon sugar sticks to where the butter is. Whatever cinnamon sugar is left, set aside.

For the Cookie Base
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add egg and beat until fully incorporated. Scrape down bowl and beat for another 30 seconds.

Add dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.

Divide cookie dough so that 3/4 of the dough goes into the bottom of the pan, the remaining 1/4 will go on top. Place the remaining 1/4 dough into another bowl and clean out the mixing bowl to use for cheesecake. Press the cookie dough into the pan to make an even bottom layer. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar from when you prepared the pan.

For the Cheesecake Layer
Using the stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.

Add flour and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.

Pour cheesecake batter on top of cookie dough in prepared pan.

Take the remaining cookie dough and roll into small balls. Roll them in the remaining cinnamon sugar and place them randomly on top of the cheesecake batter but make sure they are not touching.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Then put in fridge for 1 hour.

12 Responses to “Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’m like you and totally try out recipes based on photos! I think goat cheese and fruit are always a perfect combo. The goat cheesecake sounds intriguing!

Lauren — September 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Looks and sounds amazing! I’m totally with you about photos of food – they are typically what tempt me to make a recipe.

Amanda — September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This cake looks DELICIOUS!

I’d never heard of using goat cheese in a cheesecake, but I’m intrigued.

I, too, much prefer pictures. Sometimes you just don’t put the ingredients together in your head the right way and it comes out looking totally different than you expected. I also flip through the book faster and I tend to not find recipes unless there are pics!

Beeb — September 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i think trying something new without any idea what it should look like it rough. i love pictures but most cookbooks dont seem to have enough. i think thats why i love this blog so much, you take TONS! 🙂

i am very intrigued by this recipe. but i dont eat blueberries or peaches. is it good by itself? or is the fruit greatly needed??

Jen — September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Beeb – It’s similar to any other cheesecake. It was good on it’s own, but the fruit really enhanced the flavor. Are there other fruits you like that you could top it with? Strawberries and blueberries would be great!

We Are Not Martha — September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh yum! I totally want to try this. I love goat cheese (and fruit) and bet this would make an amazing cake!

I like photos too, but sometimes I get a little too into them. Like the other night when I forgot to add raisins to my cinnamon raisin bread because they weren’t in the photo 🙂

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I definitely prefer recipes with pictures but if a description is really good (or intriguing) or if an author points it out as a favorite… or lastly if it’s a source I trust, I go for it. With that said, I’m glad you made it and posted pictures. This cake looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic!!!

flavourfulbounty — September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks really good. I agree that sometimes I eat with my eyes. I love photos, but not the ones that look almost fake since they are so perfect. That’s why I love food blogs – usually it is just the food as it will be served.

I cook from a lot of different sources, and will try recipes that are appealing without any pics either. Sometimes it is more difficult when I am completely unfamiliar with the dish, though.

Ingrid — September 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Photos! I love yours…the “cake” looks so pretty with it’s white lip and fruit piled high.

Cara — September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sounds wonderful. I can see how it would be more of a “cheesecake” than a “cheese cake” because there’s such a small amount of flour. As we move into fall, I bet it would be delicious with a topping of figs sauteed with honey… mmm… honey figs and goat cheese!

Shannon — September 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

LOVE goat cheese cheesecake 🙂 peaches and blueberries seem like another good topper (i recently made one with figs and raspberries!)

Jay — February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i really have to bake that cake for my boyfriend who has a milk intolerance. thank you for posting this many recipes with goat cheese 🙂
    best wishes, jay, my blog: