Summer Shrimp Salad

Summertime is all about fresh produce in my mind. Everything just tastes better when it’s freshly picked and you’re eating it on a warm sunny afternoon. Hubby and I have been eating this salad for weeks now. We make a big batch on Sunday night and it feeds us both for 3 days worth of lunches.

Neither of us have gotten sick of it yet, because we tend to tweak it based on what looks good at the store that week and what we have on hand. In general the flavors and textures are all the same but one week we had a half of a can of leftover black beans in the fridge. We threw those into the salad and it was still amazing. One week we subbed cilantro for the mint. It definitely gave the salad a different spin, but it was still amazing. One week I threw in some pumpkin seeds as well.

One of the best things about this salad is that it encouraged me to try a new food. Radishes. Growing up, my dad always had them in our garden, but I never liked them (not even sure if I had ever tried them). I took my first bite of a sliced radish a couple weeks ago and found out that I like them! Hooray for trying new things!

Now I have to tell you about this recipe. The original recipe is pretty complicated for a salad. Well, maybe not complicated, but definitely involved. Hubby and I have streamlined this process by taking a few short cuts. The major one being that we buy pre-cooked shrimp. Does the salad taste better when you cook the shrimp after marinating it? Yes. But is it a noticeable difference for the amount of time it takes? No.

The other major change that I made was the addition of quinoa. It’s just so hearty and good for you, that it really helps keep you full all afternoon after eating this salad. I’m printing the recipe how we make the salad below. Be sure to click through to get the original recipe if you’re interested. I also cut the oil out of the dressing to cut some calories. Feel free to throw some olive oil in with the other dressing ingredients if you’d like, but we really don’t miss it.

One Year Ago: Pita Bread
Three Years Ago: Layered Cookie Cake and Monster Cookies

Print Save

Summer Shrimp Salad

Yield: Serves 6

1/2 cup lime juice
3 Tbsp honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
Salt and pepper to taste
2 lb large cooked shrimp, peeled and cut in 1/2
12 oz snap peas, diced
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups cooked quinoa
12 radishes, sliced
4 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Divide into 6 small tupperware containers.

Layer the remaining ingredients into 6 tupperware bowls. When ready to eat lunch, add the dressing to salad. Place lid on container and shake to coat everything with the dressing.

Recipe adapted from Cheeky Kitchen

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.