Spinach and Strawberry Salad

After the baked deliciousness of yesterday, today I’ve got a healthy savory way to use up fresh strawberries. Feel free to customize this recipe based on what you have on hand and what you enjoy. I actually really like to add some crumbled goat cheese to this salad, but didn’t have any on hand the other day when I took the pictures…

As with all salad recipes, the quantities listed below are just what I used the other day when I was measuring the ingredients out. Usually, I just throw a bunch of things together in a bowl and call it a day.

Two Years Ago: Goat Cheese and Spinach Turkey Burgers

Check out my entire week of Strawberry recipes here.

Print Save

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Yield: 2-4

1 bundle asparagus
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz baby spinach
1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil to avoid a mess. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over asparagus. Use your hand to stir it up so all the asparagus gets coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 15 minutes, stirring once in the middle.

Allow asparagus to cool to room temperature and slice into ~2" pieces.

Mix the vinegar and 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the nuts, strawberries, and asparagus. Toss to coat and add the spinach. Sprinkle cheese on salad just before serving.

9 Responses to “Strawberry Blueberry Jam”

yumventures — June 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Mmm I love jam, and this looks great for strawberry season! I unfortunately don’t like blueberries — would you adjust the other ingredients if you minus them? Also where do you get canning jars? Yay, fun summer project!

Jen — June 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

yumventures – You can def leave the blueberries out. Follow the link through to Ina’s original recipe. It doesn’t have blueberries in it. The comments on the Food Network website did say that it was a bit sweet with the sugar listed in the recipe, so keep that in mind.

Katherine — June 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I’ve never made homemade jam before…but wow this sure does look delicious!

It would be great in some thumbprint cookies or linzer cookies…yumm.

laurasrecipecollection.com — June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’ve never had strawberry & blueberry jam before. That looks divine!

themilkmanswife — June 3, 2010 at 1:41 am

Oh, this looks wonderful! I’ve never made jam before but it’s on my list of things to try, this looks like the perfect way to get started. I love berry combos like this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Does this recipe require pectin? I’ve heard that pectin is found naturally in raspberries so you don’t need it for that kind of jam, but wasn’t sure if it applied to strawberry as well. I am new to making jam but am excited to try!

Jen — June 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Sarah – This recipe does not require pectin.

Vickie — June 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hey there.. I have done your strawberry/blueberry jam, and I’m tellin ya,, it was sooooo goooood. Not too sweet either. My problem was, it never would really thicken, and I checked it on a saucer I kept in the freezer. It remained runny,, but ohh sooo good. I gave it away to family and they loved it. I’m just preparing to do more,, fingers crossed, I do hope it gets a little thicker this time. If I were to put the slightest amount of pectin I’m wondering what would happen?????? I noticed this posting is from 2010

• beantownbaker — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I think a little bit of pectin could help thicken the jam. If you try it, I’d love to know how it turns out.