Green Bean Casserole

For my final installment of a Week of Family Favorites, I’m going to feature a favorite of mine. Green bean casserole. It’s such a classic holiday casserole, that to me, the holidays just aren’t the same without it. In fact, Hubby knows that I was very disappointed that his family Thanksgiving meal didn’t include green bean casserole. Next time, I’ll just have to bring it myself to make sure it’s there.

This is another case where the recipe is straight off the packaging. And, yes I realize some people have strong feelings about using canned cream of mushroom soup. I say there is a time and a place for everything. While I am not usually a fan of cooking like this, I just look the other way once or twice a year for this nostalgic side dish.

Print Save

Green Bean Casserole

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French Fried Onions

Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.

Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.

Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

Recipe from Campbell's Kitchen

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

11 Responses to “Roasted Beet Hummus”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That color is unreal! I’ve made beet green hummus but I’ll have to try using the actual beets sometime!

KV — October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

wow that is pink!! I’ve been trying to think of a recipe for natural pink too instead of just food coloring but I can’t figure anything out

Courtney — October 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a great idea – it’s such a beautiful color!

Sara — October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Pink is my favorite color! I’m not a fan of beets, but I would make this just for how cool it looks. 🙂

camelia — October 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use or just go to and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You even made hummus look amazing!! That color is stunning! How pretty would that look on a table at a party?

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

How fun – I love beets and the fuchsia is such a conversation piece!

We Are Not Martha — October 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This is SO pretty!! And perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I’m sure it’s delicious too 🙂

ChefBearden — October 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I have made a similar recipe in the past and when serving, place a swipe of creme fraiche in the center, makes it look even more dynamic! Great stuff, great way to get people to eat beets!

Miss Strawberry — October 18, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That is so PINK! And so CREATIVE!!!! Love it, love it!! I’ve never had beet hummus either…but it actually sounds delicious…

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

This looks delicious! It reminded me of borscht…yum!