Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut for Oktoberfest!

Joelen is hosting another great event. If you haven’t seen her blog, you’re really missing out. Go check it out (after you finish reading this post otherwise you might not come back!) She hosts tons of events at her place in Chicago and lets bloggers participate virtually through the internet. For the Oktoberfest event, German food and drink are being highlighted. Sounds like my kind of evening!

Hubby made this for the first time a few months ago for our German themed dinner party (same party I made these Plum Rolls for). My mom used to eat sauerkraut when I was younger. I had never tried it because of the smell.

This recipe is amazing. The caramelized onions and apple cider really soak into the kraut and sweeten it up. And, by using the crockpot to cook the meat, it becomes very tender. We’ve made this quite a few times in the past couple of months and I’m very glad I decided to try sauerkraut! The kraut is pretty salty so be sure you have a large glass of water (or your favorite Oktoberfest brew) handy.

Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut – from RecipeZaar – serves 8 – we usually cut the recipe in half
1 medium onion
2 lbs kielbasa (2 kielbasa)
2 (32 ounce) packages sauerkraut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider

Slice 1 onion into thin strips and caramelize.

Drain and rinse sauerkraut.

Slice kielbasa into 1-inch lengths.

Combine water, cider and brown sugar.

Combine all ingredients well in crock pot.

Cook on high 6 hours – we cooked on low for about 9 hours and it was done

17 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Chicken”

Megan — February 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am obsessed with your crockpot chicken tacos and am sure this is going to be another favorite crockpot chicken recipe in our house!

P.S. I had a cake craving last night and jumped on your blog to look up cupcake recipes… you have 101 cupcake recipes?!!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Yea… about those cupcakes. I went through a phase at the beginning of my blog. And I’ve been blogging 3.5 years, so that’s really only about 30/year…

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I think I would LOVE this recipe! Bret loves pulled chicken and I love slow cooker recipes!

CasualDish — February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum, my husband would totally love this!!

Evan @swEEts — February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Sounds delicious and perfect for leaving in the pot before work and coming home to wonderfully cooked chicken. Can’t wait to try it!

Christina — February 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love this kind of stuff. We had beef dip sandwiches last night. SO GOOD. I bet we’ve love this too!

Julie — February 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sounds delicious, but I’m sure I’d have to just add one of those chiles 🙂

Kate W — February 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Yay! I love Pulled chicken sandwiches, I’m so glad you shared this recipe.

Katie — February 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

Nothing bad about pulled chicken. Nothing. Love all the flavors that the chicken was simmering in. Bet this was awesome!

Lindsay — March 7, 2011 at 8:07 am

This is the first time I’ve seen someone else use an Eating Well recipe! I like. 🙂 Also, this chicken looks fabulous and easy….nice work.

Kristen Llobrera — March 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

These look awesome and so easy to make! I love spicy pulled chicken and I love anything that you can just throw in the crockpot. Can’t wait to try them!

Judith — March 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

My husband and I made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Nona — May 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried freezing this? I dont eat meat, but I am thinking about making this for my husband but there is no way he could eat a whole pot to himself.

• beantownbaker — May 7th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Like most crockpot meals, this meat freezes just fine. I like to portion it out into individual sized portions prior to freezing so you can just grab one and go.

Julia — November 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi! I made this last year and it was a huge hit. I want to make it again for a holiday pot luck, but when I looked at the recipe today, it seemed to have the directions listed twice, and no ingredient amounts. I was able to find the recipe at eating Well, but wanted to let you know that there may be something wrong here.

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

Thanks for the update. I am fixing the post now. Glad this recipe was a success for you!

Nollywood — October 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm