Meal Idea for New Parents (or anyone else you want to take food to)

On April 29, my brother and his wife welcomed their first son, B. He’s the first grandchild in our family and my first nephew!! Hubby and I were able to go to the hospital and meet baby B when he was about 12 hours old. He’s such a cutie and we instantly fell in love with him.

Last weekend was their first weekend home with the baby, so I went over there to help out. I watched baby B (who was napping) while C and J took a nap. I also cooked them dinner while I was there. I wanted to bring a meal that I could leave with them as well. Most people bring over casseroles or other freezer meals that new parents can heat up very easily. I wanted to do something a bit different. I decided to bring my crockpot French dip sandwiches.

I packaged it all up so they could prepare this any day they wanted to. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and wrapped it twice with saran wrap then once with foil. I then mixed all the liquid ingredients in a large jar. I cut a little circle out of decorative paper to put on the top and hand-wrote the instructions for them. I also brought a bag of rolls and some provolone cheese (forgot to include it in the pic).

The nice thing about this option is that they can freeze the meat if they want and have this after the rush of people bringing food passes. I also gave them a bag of frozen chocolate chip cookies. I just mixed up a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookie dough and portioned them out using my cookie scoop and froze them on a cookie sheet. Once they were frozen, I threw them in to a ziplock bag and wrote baking instructions on the bag (I did this before with some M&M cookies too. That way they could pop a couple in the oven to have freshly baked cookies any time they want them!

One Year Ago: Samoas Bars

17 Responses to “Dorito Oreo Popcorn”

Ashley — January 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

I am intrigued! I like Oreos and Doritos separately, so I will have to give this popcorn a try. My three-year-old is King of Interesting Combinations, so I know I’ll have a buddy to share it with. 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 30th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Hubby definitely kind of gave me a weird look when I was chowing down on this 😉

chelsea @ serves two — January 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm

no way! i just posted some doritos chocolate chip cookies on my blog! love the chocolate/dorito combo! this looks super delish 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

That is crazy! I bet Doritos in cookies is amazing!

Karen — February 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Love this idea! Definitely going to try it soon. I am also thinking Sun Chips would be an awesome part of the combination

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

this is weird… I like it.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

weird? absolutely. delicous? for sure 😉

Megan — February 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What an interesting combo. I always did popcorn, Sourpatch Kids, and Raisinets at the movies, so I can see how this would work.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Woah – now that’s an interesting combination. I like all of those things separately. I’m going to have to try them all together the next time I go to a movie.

Kris @everywhereorange.com — February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

This sounds amazing. i should admit that i am 37 weeks pregnant and have eaten a ton of oreos and doritos this pregnancy, why oh why didn’t i think to put them together!!! thank you!!!!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

Haha, glad I gave you the idea. Hope you like them together 😉

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

This combination is crazy, but that just means I am going to have to go home and try it. This could totally hit the spot I am sure 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 6th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Let me know what you think if you do try it

Joy — February 7, 2013 at 8:57 am

I happen to think this sounds perfect, and not at all strange. But i’m the girl that likes to eat dortitos inside my PB&J sandwiches, and dip french fries in milkshakes…..so to me this makes sense! I’ll have to give it a try – thanks for posting!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

OMG I totally forgot about Doritos inside a PB&J!! I used to do that too. MMmmm.

Sues — February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

OK this is totally weird, but I would totally eat it. Talk about a junk food dream!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

It’s totally a junk food dream 🙂