That’s FIERCE

When CB announced the “Is your cupcake fierce” blog event, I jumped all over it. I have been slacking in the blogging events this month (although in my defense, my key ingredient for CH still hasn’t come and I didn’t really have ~10 hrs to set aside to bake the DB bread this month).

In honor of the viewers choice designer on Project Runway, Christian, CB challenged us to make a fierce cupcake. I think my little guy is quite fierce. It looks like a normal old chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. BUT, when you bite into it, you find that it’s anything but ordinary. You’ll taste the peanut butter and chocolate combination first, and then the chili powder/paprika taste comes in at the end. Hubby thought the flavors were too intense and could only handle one bite (he’s not a big fan of chocolate – weird, I know). I on the other hand ate 2 in a row. I styled up a couple cupcakes with some chocolate “art” on top.

Be sure to tune in to the season finale of Project Runway on March 5th. It’s guaranteed to be fierce.

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes – adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take over The World – makes 12
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil – I used applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
12 mini PB cups

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake (do not press down – I pressed down and they all sank to the bottom). Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Dairy Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting – from FoodNetwork.com – I made a 1/2 batch and it frosted all 12 cupcakes (full batch listed below)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature – I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature – I used Earth Balance Natural margarine
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted

Using a handheld electric beater, cream the cream cheese and butter together thoroughly.

Add the chili power and cinnamon, mixing to incorporate.

Add the salt, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar.

Finally, mix in the melted chocolate and blend thoroughly until smooth.

If additional thickening is needed, add more sifted confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time, until a spreadable consistency is reached.

Fierce Cupcake Assembly
After the cupcakes have cooled, pipe frosting onto them.

Lightly dust with paprika.

Top with chocolate art (optional, directions below).

Chocolate “art”
I just kind of made this up as I went. If anyone has better ideas, let me know. First got my setup ready. I lined a cookie sheet with foil. I then crinkled the foil into waves (if that makes any sense). Then I took another piece of parchment paper and tore into strips (I made them triangle shapes strips). I laid the strips on the cookie sheet.

Then I melted some chocolate. I spooned a big dollup of chocolate onto the fat part of the strip. Using a spatula, I brushed the chocolate over the triangle. Once the traingles were all covered, I popped the tray into the fridge to let the chocolate set. The “waves” in the foil caused the strips of chocolate to have some movement to them. Once the chocolate was set, the chocolate peeled right off the parchment strips. And VOILA chocolate art to top your cupcakes with!

14 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes”

ttfn300 — May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

these look so fun! i, too, am LI, but i carry lactaid with me everywhere… and jp licks makes a lactose free flavor 🙂

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Lactaid is my best friend. I have spare pills in the car, in Hubby’s wallet, in my purse and desk. Can’t ever be too prepared! I have had their lactose free flavors and they’re quite tasty. I wish they had more than one a month though!

Sam — May 27, 2009 at 2:43 am

Ooooh. This looks too good. I’m gonna have to try that.

Stef — May 27, 2009 at 4:23 am

I love the idea of using the cone method for ice cream cupcakes. I hadn’t thought of that. That strawberry down the middle of the cupcake is so perfect! I’m so glad you entered again!

gaga — May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wouldn’t be able to live without ice cream! Your cupcakes are beautiful. Good luck in the competition!!!

Ingrid — May 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They look pretty! Love the photo of the cross section where you can see the strawberry.
    ~ingrid

Vegiegail — May 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Those cupcakes look scrumptious! Oh, and you’ve gotta try Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk Ice Cream! It’s rich and creamy, a lot like gelatto!

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Vegiegail – I’ll have to check that out.

Sara — June 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

So cute! These are so pretty with the strawberry in the middle and they look delicious.

paru's_circle — June 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

voted for your strawberry one..good luck!

Bethany — June 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

gorgeous. love the inset strawberry. love the Neapolitan theme.

bethany@scoopalicious

Shoshana — June 12, 2009 at 4:46 am

I agree with you about the non-dairy ice creams available in stores. However, If you have an ice cream maker vegan chick-0-stick ice cream is unbelievably rich, creamy and delicious.

Here is the recipe http://couldntbeparve.blogspot.com/2008/09/chick-o-stick-ice-cream_04.html

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hey, these cupcakes sound awesome! I use to be Lactose Int., but I found the best cure ever & seriously have been L.I. cured for 7 years. I could not give up my dairy & use to take 3 Lactaid every time I ate.I heard about “Lactogen” on the radio on the way home from a trip. I would do anything to get rid of my L.I. so it was $90.00 at the time so I said what the heck I spent $200.00 a year on Lactaid. I was floored that it worked & 7 years later still no signs. I drink milk every morning, cheese everyday, & ice cream when ever. It retrains your body to except lactose, so for 42 days while you take it (a mix to drink with water) you have to stay away from all dairy & anything with dairy in it. I just went to the health food store during that time. I am sure you can find it on the web. Lactogen is the name

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is my second post, it erased my first. But for all you suffering with Lactose Int. try Lactogen it really works I have been cured for going on 7 years now. It was only $90.00 when I tried it & I was spending $200 a year on Lactaid at the time. I now can drink milk every morning, & eat cheese every day & ice cream when ever. It is not an on going thing you take it once for 43 days & that is it.