Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

If you’re looking for healthy recipes and you haven’t seen Cara’s blog, you should definitely check it out. I’ve had multiple opportunities to eat Cara’s food and it’s all been amazing. She creates a lot of her own recipes and it’s all healthy and delicious!

I decided that for my first shot at making spaghetti squash, I’d turn to Cara’s blog for the recipe. Hubby and I both enjoy squash but I’d never eaten, let alone cooked a spaghetti squash. I can definitely see why it became such a big rage during the Atkins craze. It has a similar texture to spaghetti. The combination of flavors in this dish is amazing. I’ll definitely be trying spaghetti squash again!

Hubby ate this as his lunch entree a couple days and really enjoyed it. I made a few changes to Cara’s recipe, but for the most part it’s the same.

One Year Ago: Creme Brulee – two ways

Print Save

Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash, roasted, seeds discarded
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 10oz package fresh spinach, thick stems removed
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
1/2 c raisins
1oz goat cheese, crumbled
pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut off top and bottom ends of squash. Slice in half lengthwise and place onto a cookie sheet, cut side up. Roast squash for ~30 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over low heat. Remove from heat when they are fragrant and just beginning to brown.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and let cook until the spinach is wilted down, about 5 minutes.

Use two forks to remove the stringy flesh from the cooked spaghetti squash. Toss this with the spinach and onions, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the walnuts and raisins and heat through. Mix in about half of the crumbled feta, and top with the rest of the cheese to serve.

Recipe adapted from Cara's Cravings

9 Responses to “Creamy Red Pepper and Collard Greens Dip”

Ashley — January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This sounds like a tasty dip, and I love that it’s so colorful! I can definitely relate – I’m not into the Superbowl game this year (we recently moved, too, and I prefer college football), but I am ALL about the food!

• beantownbaker — January 25th, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Were you guys moving during the holidays? We moved into our apartment on 12/21. It was rough… Even when it’s teams that I like, it’s still mostly about the food 🙂

Shannon — January 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

i do love football food, and i’ve been meaning to try my hand at collard greens 😉

Ashley — January 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

We didn’t move as recently as you! We made our move in October…and I’m just starting to feel settled. It is rough… Of course, the kitchen was the first room put together!

Lori — January 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Approximately how much collard greens do you need? Can you use canned? This sounds terrific…like a soul food dip!

• beantownbaker — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Sorry about that. Missed a key ingredient in the recipe. I updated it now. I used a pound of fresh collard greens. I haven’t tried it with canned. Let me know how it goes if you do.

Megan — January 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’m so not into the Super Bowl this year either, but I can always get behind some football food. I’m still trying to decide what to make for next weekend. This dip sounds so good!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

YUM! I’ve never seen collards in a dip before.

Jade — October 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Hey love this recipe. it is actually my daughters FAVORITE MEAL! but i want to know how do i make this into a freezer meal? should i do anything differently? or just make as directed and put them from oven to freezer?