Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

If you’re looking for healthy recipes and you haven’t seen Cara’s blog, you should definitely check it out. I’ve had multiple opportunities to eat Cara’s food and it’s all been amazing. She creates a lot of her own recipes and it’s all healthy and delicious!

I decided that for my first shot at making spaghetti squash, I’d turn to Cara’s blog for the recipe. Hubby and I both enjoy squash but I’d never eaten, let alone cooked a spaghetti squash. I can definitely see why it became such a big rage during the Atkins craze. It has a similar texture to spaghetti. The combination of flavors in this dish is amazing. I’ll definitely be trying spaghetti squash again!

Hubby ate this as his lunch entree a couple days and really enjoyed it. I made a few changes to Cara’s recipe, but for the most part it’s the same.

One Year Ago: Creme Brulee – two ways

Print Save

Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash, roasted, seeds discarded
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 10oz package fresh spinach, thick stems removed
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
1/2 c raisins
1oz goat cheese, crumbled
pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut off top and bottom ends of squash. Slice in half lengthwise and place onto a cookie sheet, cut side up. Roast squash for ~30 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over low heat. Remove from heat when they are fragrant and just beginning to brown.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and let cook until the spinach is wilted down, about 5 minutes.

Use two forks to remove the stringy flesh from the cooked spaghetti squash. Toss this with the spinach and onions, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the walnuts and raisins and heat through. Mix in about half of the crumbled feta, and top with the rest of the cheese to serve.

Recipe adapted from Cara's Cravings

14 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits”

Shannon — March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

love your adaptations- and i agree, one-pot meals usually need more veggies!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Not that this meal is in any way healthy, but at least bumping up the veggies (and the servings) reduces the amount of pure indulgence per serving…

Sues — March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Love all the changes you made to this! And I agree- the more veggies, the merrier 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

Megan — March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love that idea to just throw extra veggies in. I always have some leftover unused veggies going bad in the fridge after I’ve used some for a recipe. The biscuits on this look amazing.

Wendy — March 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks rich and satisfying. I love the idea of biscuits on top rather than pie crust. Cream cheese chive biscuits sound especially delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I definitely plan to make these biscuits again some time. They’d be delicious even without the creamy pot pie filling under them.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love the thought of throwing the extra veggies in, i think a lot of people are hesitant to do so. This looks so delicious and satisfying 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Yea when it comes to cooking, I figure there’s no harm in playing with recipes. Baking is another story…

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

My boyfriend, who eats a good portion of the overall meals I cook plus leftovers, hates veggies. This is a problem, because I don’t like food going bad but I can’t eat it all myself. I love recipes like this because it’d probably be SO tasty, he’d hardly even notice the abundance of green. Or he’d pick the peas out. Who knows.

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine hating veggies… But I agree, I think he’d hardly notice the veggies in this. It’s that creamy and delicious.

scott — March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on http://www.myrecipemagic.com they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love that you topped this off with biscuits instead of the traditional flaky crust!

• beantownbaker — March 28th, 2013 @ 6:53 am

Biscuits are always the right answer 😉