Dinner for One! Crab and Cheese Omelet

Hubby was working late and I had to make dinner for one. I wanted something that was quick to make and clean up and healthy. I love omelets for any meal so thought I’d throw one together for dinner for myself.

Six years ago when I moved to Boston, I stayed with my brother a few days. He made me a crab meat and cheese omelet. It’s my standard omelet ever. I had some leftover tomato/onion/cilantro mixture from making bruschetta the other day and an avocado that I thought would be great in my standard omelet.

Omelet (by ME!)
2 eggs – I use 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
~1 Tbsp milk – I use Silk Light Vanilla soymilk
Shredded Cheese – I use “Veggie” dairy-free shredded cheddar
1/2 serving imitation crab meat – chopped (comes out to 1 stick if you buy in the stick form)
1/4 cup tomato/onion/cilantro mixture
1/4 cup diced avocado

** Note: make your omelet however you like with whatever ingredients you have on hand

I’m going to assume that you know how to make an omelet. Most people have their own unique process so I’m just going to list the steps I take. Do what you’re comfortable with doing when making your omelet.

Mist some oil into small skillet. Turn heat on Medium.

Beat eggs and milk. Pour into skillet. Scrape sides with spatula and move egg around to evenly coat the skillet.

Add ingredients (minus cheese) to 1/2 of the egg. Cook a few minutes. Add cheese to filling. Turn egg over onto itself to form omelet. Allow to cook a few more minutes to melt cheese.

Enjoy!

Nutritional Information: TBD

16 Responses to “Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad”

Kelsey — January 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m with you–every ingredient in this salad is a winner on it’s own. Together? Forgetaboutit! The colors are beautiful and I can imagine how great it tastes with the balance of bitter, sweet, and tart.

Love the new layout, also. Way to go!

Wicked Goodies — January 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Yum! I am also addicted to kale since doing a CSA here in Boston 🙂

Jill McOwen — January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It’s so funny, because as I was scrolling through Tastespotting tonight and saw this post, I had to click because it looked so familiar to my winter couscous bowl… and then, I couldn’t believe it when I saw my blog credited at the bottom! This is a first for me 🙂 Thanks so much for the credit!

So you’ve recently moved back to Cincinnati? Which part? My family and I live in Anderson Township.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Thanks so much for the recipe!!

We work in West Chester and are living in Oakley right now. Trying to find a house at some point…

Megan — January 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I think this sounds amazing, Jen! And I love how colorful it is. I am always looking for new winter salads that are colorful, flavorful, and interesting.

• beantownbaker — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

This is definitely colorful, flavorful, and interesting. I have seriously been OBSESSED with pomegranates this winter, and this salad totally feeds into that obsession.

Sues — January 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m on a major quinoa AND kale kick so this salad is right up my alley. So colorful and pretty, too!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Pretty food is definitely always tastier than ugly food 🙂

Shannon — January 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

looks a lot like the one i posted last week 🙂 obviously, i’m all over it!!

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Very similar indeed!

Michelle — January 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This is perfect for that kale and pomegranate I have in the fridge! I’m always excited to find new things to put together ahead of time for lunches and dinners, thanks! Hope you are settling in nicely 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Making food ahead of time saves the day during the week! I can’t imagine not eating leftovers… Things are going pretty well for us in Ohio so far. Hope things are going well for you and your little bundle on the way!

Cara — January 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sounds great to me! I love the ingredients. And the colors 🙂

ErinsFoodFiles — January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This sounds right up my alley! YUM!!

Sarah — November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was thinking about an easy and colorful, flavorful, and power-packed healthy side dish to bring for a potluck lunch after a trail work party this coming weekend. I had these amazing cute pumpkins to harvest from my garden and love both kale and quinoa. I thought to myself, mmmm, what if I made some kind of pumpkin kale quinoa and goat cheese salad to share? One quick internet search and I came across this gem! I modified and concocted a tad, which is normal for me. Thanks so much for the recipe and ingredient confirmations! The honey, olive oil, and smokey / spicy combo was the secret ingredient for me! Happy fooding!

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I am always tweaking recipes to make them fit what I have on hand and what we like too.