Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Biscuits and gravy is one of those foods that just reminds me of home. My dad used to make this for us on the weekends. When I first met Hubby, he had no idea what biscuits and gravy were. Crazy Northeasterner! He fell in love the first time he had my dad’s biscuits and gravy. And it’s so simple to throw together when you’re half asleep on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I like to use the flaky buttermilk store bought biscuits. You could definitely make your own from scratch if you wanted. We also like our gravy pretty thick. Feel free to add more milk to thin out your gravy if you prefer.

Print Save

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Yield: 4

Ingredients:

1 pkg sausage
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp flour
fresh ground pepper
8 biscuits

Directions:

While biscuits are baking, make sausage gravy.

Brown sausage in a skillet. Add milk and flour to pan and whisk together to form a gravy. Add more milk to thin the consistency out, more flour to thicken the consistency. Season with pepper to taste.

Serve gravy over biscuits.

Recipe from my dad

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

11 Responses to “Biscuits and Sausage Gravy”

oneordinaryday — December 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’ve actually never had biscuits and gravy, but this sounds yummy, so I would definitely like to try it. I never realized it was so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

Manne — December 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Wait – that’s all it takes to make biscuits and gravy?

I want that now

carrie1 — December 15, 2009 at 8:14 pm

mmm….. I just decided I am going to make this on Thursday when my boyfriend gets home from sea. =)

Thank you for sharing. =)

Ingrid — December 15, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I’m with One Ordinary Day! You’re the third or so blog in the past day I’ve seen post about biscuits and gravy. I’d say that’s a sign!
    ~ingrid

Jeanette — December 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Yummy is all I can say!

BeeKayRoot — December 16, 2009 at 12:01 am

I just moved to Southwestern Virginia a few months ago, and biscuits and gravy are an everyday delicacy around here.

Lorie — December 16, 2009 at 2:40 am

A couple of tips from my grandma…use hot sausgae because it gives it a TON of flavor without making the gravey actually hot. (The milk and flour tone it down)

And to avoid the whisking, after browning the sausage, add just the flower. It will make a roux from the fat that has cooked out of the sausage. THEN turn it on high and add the milk. No whisking, no lumps. I guarantee it! ;D

Julie — December 16, 2009 at 4:39 am

Sounds perfect! We went to some breakfast place on Sunday and I had sausage and biscuits on my mind, and they didn’t have any! How can they even call themselves a breakfast place??

Ingrid — January 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Hi, my children just finished eating your biscuits and gravy. All three of them loved it. I loved it as it was super easy and fairly quick to make. Thanks!
    ~ingrid

sprouts farmers market colorado — May 1, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hi there! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs
    up for the great info you have got right here on this post.
    I can be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

trey songz death of autotune lyrics — May 18, 2013 at 7:13 am

Hiya! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the
    good data you have got right here on this post. I will likely be coming
    again to your weblog for more soon.