Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Biscuits and gravy is one of those foods that just reminds me of home. My dad used to make this for us on the weekends. When I first met Hubby, he had no idea what biscuits and gravy were. Crazy Northeasterner! He fell in love the first time he had my dad’s biscuits and gravy. And it’s so simple to throw together when you’re half asleep on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I like to use the flaky buttermilk store bought biscuits. You could definitely make your own from scratch if you wanted. We also like our gravy pretty thick. Feel free to add more milk to thin out your gravy if you prefer.

Print Save

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Yield: 4

Ingredients:

1 pkg sausage
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp flour
fresh ground pepper
8 biscuits

Directions:

While biscuits are baking, make sausage gravy.

Brown sausage in a skillet. Add milk and flour to pan and whisk together to form a gravy. Add more milk to thin the consistency out, more flour to thicken the consistency. Season with pepper to taste.

Serve gravy over biscuits.

Recipe from my dad

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

8 Responses to “Great American Taste Test – KFC biscuits”

Stephanie Wagner — September 15, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Looks like these turned out great! I’m surprised they didn’t call for brushing some egg on top of the biscuits before cooking, that might get that top a little crispier…I totally want to make some of these Saturday morning.

Katy ~ — September 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

These look very good to me. I have a favorite biscuit recipe, but want to give these a try because of the buttermilk.

Have been following your blog for a while. Nice blog!

Jen — September 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree Steph. Or maybe just melted butter to give it the color.

tom — September 16, 2009 at 12:51 pm

If you want to compare even more recipes from many of the popular sites, take a look at RecipeComparison.com. Just search for “buttermilk biscuits” and you’ll see all the ingredients nicely laid out in a table with a link to jump directly to each recipe.

Food Lady — March 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I worked at a KFC in the mid-90s. I had privy to the ingredients lists and methods. The biscuits came frozen and had egg in the dough. We brushed the tops after baking with butter-flavored oil that is commonly used in the restaurant industry. I remember thinking that the egg was unusual; I hadn’t seen many biscuit recipes calling for egg, and I have been baking since I was 8.

Dawn — April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

kfc.com does not list eggs in their food allergy listing for the biscuits, just an fyi

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I, too, worked at a KFC when I was a teenager. The biscuits were not frozen. It was a bag mix and we mixed it with a large tub of shortening. Then mixed, rolled, cut and baked. We topped with a “liquid butter” substance fresh from the oven. They may make them frozen now, but they didn’t in the early 90’s.

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh, and there are NO eggs in the mix. Otherwise, it would be a cake, not a biscuit. That is common baking “science”.