Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Biscuits and gravy is one of those foods that just reminds me of home. My dad used to make this for us on the weekends. When I first met Hubby, he had no idea what biscuits and gravy were. Crazy Northeasterner! He fell in love the first time he had my dad’s biscuits and gravy. And it’s so simple to throw together when you’re half asleep on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I like to use the flaky buttermilk store bought biscuits. You could definitely make your own from scratch if you wanted. We also like our gravy pretty thick. Feel free to add more milk to thin out your gravy if you prefer.

Print Save

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Yield: 4

Ingredients:

1 pkg sausage
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp flour
fresh ground pepper
8 biscuits

Directions:

While biscuits are baking, make sausage gravy.

Brown sausage in a skillet. Add milk and flour to pan and whisk together to form a gravy. Add more milk to thin the consistency out, more flour to thicken the consistency. Season with pepper to taste.

Serve gravy over biscuits.

Recipe from my dad

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

10 Responses to “Mini Ham and Cheese Sandwiches”

Dorothy — December 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Holy snap! Guess what I’m bringing to our post-holiday party on the 2nd? I have a reputation for being the “sweets girl,” but that might just have to change…
    Thanks for the recipe!

Dorothy — December 28, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Forgot to ask – Do you bake the rolls in the same dish you marinated them in, or do you place them on a cookie sheet or something?

Jen — December 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Dorothy – we just bake them in the same pan. Usually, we’ll buy the disposable foil ones from the store that come with a lid. Marinade them overnight and then just grab and go to a party. Pop them in the oven for the 10 minutes and serve hot. Works really well.

Kat — December 28, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I have leftover ham from Christmas dinner (and who doesn’t have cheese on hand!) and will be trying these this week.

Faith — December 28, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I hope you and yours had a nice Christmas. This recipe is unlike any I’ve ever seen! It sounds SO GOOD!

Happy (almost) New Year!

Daily — December 29, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look delicious! Seem perfect for New Years Eve hors d’oeuvres. I’ve never thought of using Kings Hawaiian rolls for anything other than a dinner-time side.

Amanda — January 4, 2010 at 5:19 am

Made these for New Years Eve….& they were fantastic! These are definitely going on my short list of yummy ( & easy) appetizers.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" — January 18, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hi, after seeing these on a friend’s blog, I had to give them a try! I made them for dinner to try out and they were a huge hit! They will be a new dish I’ll be bringing to our next potluck!

Debra Asmuth Fillingim — April 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm

My friend made these and they were fantastic-I don’t usually like ham and cheese!

beantownbaker — April 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm

These little guys are tasty. Glad you enjoyed them.