Perfect Summer Salsa Recipe

Vindicate the Vegetable is by far my favorite new blogging event. I participate in so many that revolve around baking that they really aren’t helping my waistline. But an event that revolves around vegetables sounds like a great way to help us try new veggies or new ways to make the same old veggies.

Hubby and I LOVE avocados. Actually, I had never had one or even tasted guacamole until about this time last year. Man, was I missing out.

This “dip” is a classic recipe that I always get asked to bring. It’s so simple and just tastes like summer to me. I think it originally came from a WW recipe but I added avocado to make it even better.

Summer Salsa Dip – by ME!
This makes a LOT of dip. Feel free to play with the ratio of ingredients. This is what I like best. I like to top chicken with it as well.
4 large tomatoes – seeded and diced (it’s really worth the extra effort to seed the tomatoes)
2 avocados – diced
1 small red onion – diced
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
large handful of cilantro – chopped
juice of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves – minced
salt to taste

After chopping and prepping everything, mix in a large bowl. I don’t like spicy food, but hot pepper could be added to kick it up a notch.

Serve the dip with scoop chips.

Note: if you need to make this ahead of time, chop everything except the avocado. Store in the fridge and then just prior to serving, cube the avocado and stir together.

17 Responses to “Dorito Oreo Popcorn”

Ashley — January 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

I am intrigued! I like Oreos and Doritos separately, so I will have to give this popcorn a try. My three-year-old is King of Interesting Combinations, so I know I’ll have a buddy to share it with. 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 30th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Hubby definitely kind of gave me a weird look when I was chowing down on this 😉

chelsea @ serves two — January 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm

no way! i just posted some doritos chocolate chip cookies on my blog! love the chocolate/dorito combo! this looks super delish 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

That is crazy! I bet Doritos in cookies is amazing!

Karen — February 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Love this idea! Definitely going to try it soon. I am also thinking Sun Chips would be an awesome part of the combination

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

this is weird… I like it.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

weird? absolutely. delicous? for sure 😉

Megan — February 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What an interesting combo. I always did popcorn, Sourpatch Kids, and Raisinets at the movies, so I can see how this would work.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Woah – now that’s an interesting combination. I like all of those things separately. I’m going to have to try them all together the next time I go to a movie.

Kris @everywhereorange.com — February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

This sounds amazing. i should admit that i am 37 weeks pregnant and have eaten a ton of oreos and doritos this pregnancy, why oh why didn’t i think to put them together!!! thank you!!!!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

Haha, glad I gave you the idea. Hope you like them together 😉

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

This combination is crazy, but that just means I am going to have to go home and try it. This could totally hit the spot I am sure 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 6th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Let me know what you think if you do try it

Joy — February 7, 2013 at 8:57 am

I happen to think this sounds perfect, and not at all strange. But i’m the girl that likes to eat dortitos inside my PB&J sandwiches, and dip french fries in milkshakes…..so to me this makes sense! I’ll have to give it a try – thanks for posting!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

OMG I totally forgot about Doritos inside a PB&J!! I used to do that too. MMmmm.

Sues — February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

OK this is totally weird, but I would totally eat it. Talk about a junk food dream!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

It’s totally a junk food dream 🙂