Perfect Summer Salsa Recipe

Vindicate the Vegetable is by far my favorite new blogging event. I participate in so many that revolve around baking that they really aren’t helping my waistline. But an event that revolves around vegetables sounds like a great way to help us try new veggies or new ways to make the same old veggies.

Hubby and I LOVE avocados. Actually, I had never had one or even tasted guacamole until about this time last year. Man, was I missing out.

This “dip” is a classic recipe that I always get asked to bring. It’s so simple and just tastes like summer to me. I think it originally came from a WW recipe but I added avocado to make it even better.

Summer Salsa Dip – by ME!
This makes a LOT of dip. Feel free to play with the ratio of ingredients. This is what I like best. I like to top chicken with it as well.
4 large tomatoes – seeded and diced (it’s really worth the extra effort to seed the tomatoes)
2 avocados – diced
1 small red onion – diced
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
large handful of cilantro – chopped
juice of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves – minced
salt to taste

After chopping and prepping everything, mix in a large bowl. I don’t like spicy food, but hot pepper could be added to kick it up a notch.

Serve the dip with scoop chips.

Note: if you need to make this ahead of time, chop everything except the avocado. Store in the fridge and then just prior to serving, cube the avocado and stir together.

11 Responses to “Caramelized Butternut Squash”

Pam — November 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I have been loving Butternut Squash more than ever this season, myself! Your pictures are lovely, and making me hungry!

Lauren — November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I LOVE butternut squash… especially when roasted until slightly crisp on the outside. Your caramelized version looks great – I will need to add a touch of brown sugar and butter next time I make it.

Boston Food Diary — November 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

YUM!!! I started my butternut squash kick this weekend- this looks amazing!

Melissa — November 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I have a butternut squash from my CSA that I’m dying to cut into. I have a question though, how does one peel a butternut squash?

Jen — November 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Melissa – I like to use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel the skin off. You could do it with a knife, but I would be worried about cutting myself.

Julie — November 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like a fabulous way to prepare those squash. I’ll have to remember this for if we have another bumper crop next year!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jen, nice seeing you again yesterday. I usually roast my butternut squash with brown sugar too but I can’t believe I never thought of adding butter! I usually omit the salt and pepper because I like it very dessert-like, so I add cinnamon too 🙂

Paula — November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

what a great blog!
    here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
    Paula

Megan — November 16, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love butternut squash too. It’s definitely delicious with just a bit of brown sugar. Sometimes I go a bit overboard and roast it with a whole lot of butter, brown, sugar, and maple syrup.

theblogisthenewblack — November 16, 2010 at 2:46 am

This looks amazing! I love bn squash. I just made a fantastic soup, and now I want to carmelize it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This is such a simple way to cook butternut squash and yet SO delicious! I’m loving your butternut squash blog posts!