Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes

It’s that time of year again. When the suns shows it’s bright face for long hours and the temperature starts rising. That means it’s time for Ice Cream. Now I know some people enjoy ice cream year round. Heck, think of the lines you see at JP Licks or at Graeters during the winter. It’s somewhat crazy. To me summertime means ice cream time.

As many of you know, I’m lactose intolerant. This makes ice cream time (I mean summertime) very hard on me. Before I found out I was LI, I was a regular ice cream eater. My dad loves ice cream too and I think that’s where I got it from.

I will admit that there are some dairy free ice creams out there, but in all honesty, they’re just not the same. They lack the smooth creaminess of a great ice cream. So sometimes I splurge a little and eat ice cream during the summer. My stomach reminds me how bad of an idea it was, but it’s always worth it.

When I saw the announcement about the Ice Cream Cupcake Blogging event again this year (check out the ice cream cupcakes I made last year), I knew I wanted to do at least one dairy free version. I went with a classic flavor combo – chocolate + vanilla + strawberry. YUM!

I used my favorite vegan chocolate cupcake recipe for these guys. I made the full sized. Then I used the cone method to remove a large cone from the cupcakes. I put a small scoop of Tofutti vanilla ice cream into each cupcake and then dropped in a frozen strawberry. I threw the cupcakes back into the freezer for a while to let them set while I made some strawberry cream cheese frosting (I just added about 1/2 cup of strawberries to a classic cream cheese frosting).

I wanted to have it be more like a glaze, so I thinned it out quite a bit. Looking back, I think thick cream cheese frosting would have done better on these cupcakes. I’d also use fresh strawberries in the cupcakes because the frozen ones were hard! After a quick zap in the microwave, they were perfect!

I am submitting these cupcakes into the blogging event hosted by Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious. Be sure to check back to vote for their reader’s choice cupcakes. Voting will be the first week in June.

14 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes”

ttfn300 — May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

these look so fun! i, too, am LI, but i carry lactaid with me everywhere… and jp licks makes a lactose free flavor :)

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Lactaid is my best friend. I have spare pills in the car, in Hubby’s wallet, in my purse and desk. Can’t ever be too prepared! I have had their lactose free flavors and they’re quite tasty. I wish they had more than one a month though!

Sam — May 27, 2009 at 2:43 am

Ooooh. This looks too good. I’m gonna have to try that.

Stef — May 27, 2009 at 4:23 am

I love the idea of using the cone method for ice cream cupcakes. I hadn’t thought of that. That strawberry down the middle of the cupcake is so perfect! I’m so glad you entered again!

gaga — May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wouldn’t be able to live without ice cream! Your cupcakes are beautiful. Good luck in the competition!!!

Ingrid — May 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They look pretty! Love the photo of the cross section where you can see the strawberry.
    ~ingrid

Vegiegail — May 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Those cupcakes look scrumptious! Oh, and you’ve gotta try Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk Ice Cream! It’s rich and creamy, a lot like gelatto!

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Vegiegail – I’ll have to check that out.

Sara — June 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

So cute! These are so pretty with the strawberry in the middle and they look delicious.

paru's_circle — June 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

voted for your strawberry one..good luck!

Bethany — June 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

gorgeous. love the inset strawberry. love the Neapolitan theme.

bethany@scoopalicious

Shoshana — June 12, 2009 at 4:46 am

I agree with you about the non-dairy ice creams available in stores. However, If you have an ice cream maker vegan chick-0-stick ice cream is unbelievably rich, creamy and delicious.

Here is the recipe http://couldntbeparve.blogspot.com/2008/09/chick-o-stick-ice-cream_04.html

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hey, these cupcakes sound awesome! I use to be Lactose Int., but I found the best cure ever & seriously have been L.I. cured for 7 years. I could not give up my dairy & use to take 3 Lactaid every time I ate.I heard about “Lactogen” on the radio on the way home from a trip. I would do anything to get rid of my L.I. so it was $90.00 at the time so I said what the heck I spent $200.00 a year on Lactaid. I was floored that it worked & 7 years later still no signs. I drink milk every morning, cheese everyday, & ice cream when ever. It retrains your body to except lactose, so for 42 days while you take it (a mix to drink with water) you have to stay away from all dairy & anything with dairy in it. I just went to the health food store during that time. I am sure you can find it on the web. Lactogen is the name

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is my second post, it erased my first. But for all you suffering with Lactose Int. try Lactogen it really works I have been cured for going on 7 years now. It was only $90.00 when I tried it & I was spending $200 a year on Lactaid at the time. I now can drink milk every morning, & eat cheese every day & ice cream when ever. It is not an on going thing you take it once for 43 days & that is it.