Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomato Appetizers

Our monthly cooking club met to honor the Oscars. We decided that everyone should bring an “Award winning” recipe. I happen to enjoy watching the competitive cooking/baking shows on TV and immediately thought of the Pillsbury BakeOff. I went to the website to find a recipe. I decided on this appetizer because I love goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes. This recipe won the BakeOff appetizers division in 2004 and is delicious. Everyone really enjoyed it.

I did use the new Pillsbury Recipe Creations instead of biscuits. I also didn’t read the directions properly and used a regular sized muffin pan instead of a mini muffin pan. So I just doubled the amount of filling it calls for.

Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomato Appetizers – from Pillsbury
1 (12-oz.) can Pillsbury® Golden Layers® Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits – I used the new Crescent recipe creations
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 oz. (1/2 cup) crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes – I used onion powder
1 teaspoon dried pesto seasoning – I used fresh parsley
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375°F. Separate dough into 10 biscuits (I cut the dough into 12 pieces); separate each evenly into 2 layers, making 20 dough rounds. Press each in ungreased miniature muffin cup.

In small bowl, mix mayonnaise, goat cheese, tomatoes, onion flakes and pesto seasoning. Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise mixture into each dough-lined cup. Sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 375°F. for 10 to 16 minutes or until golden brown (Mine baked for exactly 10 minutes). Remove from muffin cups. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

I’m entering this in Joelen’s Tasty Tools event for April. She’s featuring muffin pans this month!

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

feerlessfood.com — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm