Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Hubby and I went to Maine for a weekend with friends. We had a blast hanging out on the mountains, falling on our butts while learning to snowboard, and just chilling with friends. The group was 18 people and we stayed in a huge house with a very large kitchen. I was in charge of dinner for Saturday night. I’ve never cooked for 18 people before but it worked out well. I made one crockpot of pulled pork, one crockpot of Italian beef, 10 pounds of mashed sweet potatoes, and a double batch of 7-layer salad. In case you’re wondering, I used about 14 pounds of meat in the crockpots for 18 people. There was a little leftover that people made into sandwiches the next day.

I saw these mashed sweet potatoes pop up a few places in my Google Reader just after the Inauguration. They’re the same recipe that was served at the Inauguration luncheon on January 20th! They are very tasty.

Molasses Whipped Sweet Potatoes – from The 2009 Inauguration Luncheon – serves 6
3 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of molasses
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.

Peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes while still hot.By hand or mixer, smash potatoes until all large chunks are gone. Combine the potatoes, butter, salt, orange juice, brown sugar, ground cumin, molasses and maple syrup in a large bowl. Continue to mix all together until all lumps are gone. Adjust any of the seasonings to your specific tastes. Can be made the day before.

I’m submitting this post in the Bookmarked Recipes blogging event, which is being hosted by Joelen this week.

11 Responses to “Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans”

Lauren — November 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

This dish sounds great! I love sweet potatoes and black beans together, and the cilantro and lime sound like the perfect flavor additions.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

My fiance isn’t the biggest fan of beans so I try to “sneak” them into dishes and this looks a great recipe to try out!

Eliana — November 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I absolutely adore sweet potatoes but wud have never thought of flavoring them with cilantro and lime. This sounds like it would turn out super delicious.

Kerstin — November 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm

We always have black beans in the house too and they are just perfect with sweet potatoes too – yum!

becksterslaboratory — November 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

Oh dear, I never thought of pairing these 4 fave flavors together. Amazing : )

Nutmeg Nanny — November 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yum! I love black beans and I also love that they are super good for you. I think this would be an awesome quick weeknight dinner!

tobias cooks! — November 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

perfect combo of tastes. I would love to try this one.

Boston Food Diary — November 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Mmmm what a refreshing twist on sweet potatoes! These sound hearty and delicious!

Carrie — November 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

What a great recipe and beautiful photo. Black beans and sweet potatoes (and cilantro, for that matter!) are a couple of my favorite foods, so I know that I’d love this!

lacasitainspirada — November 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I love black beans in salads. This sounds great!
    And great pictures, too!

robinakagoatmom — February 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Made a half recipe and loved it hot or cold! Took to a work pot luck and a hit with everyone. Thanks for another great recipe.