Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

8 Responses to “Stuffed Strawberries”

Joelen — July 31, 2008 at 3:12 pm

These are such an elegant treat especially for guests. I like using a cream cheese filling for them!

Jen — July 31, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Yep, that’s how I’ve always seen it, with cream cheese filling. It’s definitely a great way to use up leftover frosting though. I’m sure any cream-cheese based frosting would be delicious.

Gail — August 1, 2008 at 3:44 am

I love the idea of an inside-out chocolate covered strawberry! I will definitely be trying this!

oneordinaryday — March 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm

So pretty. I wonder if nutella would work too.
    Michelle

Chic Cookies — March 22, 2009 at 2:13 am

These are so great! I love the idea (and the party theme is inspired). I posted a link for my edible crafts column to your blog at ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com. Hope to bring you a few more clicks! Thanks for sharing, Meaghan

Oakley Rhodes — March 22, 2009 at 3:33 am

Love it! I’m impressed by those that can keep “leftover” frosting around the kitchen – it’s usually eaten up by my housemates before any can be put away.

lindsey — June 29, 2009 at 11:35 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

lindsey — June 29, 2009 at 11:37 pm

hey jen,
    i’m thinking of making these for dad’s fourth of july party, along with the strawberry and blueberry cupcakes and of course the layered cookie cake we made last year. i’ll let you know what everyone thinks of them!
    -lindsey