Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!