Rabbit Food

I recently found out that I’m lactose intolerant (LI). I nearly started crying in the doctor’s office. For a girl who eats cheese and ice cream almost daily, this was a big devastation. It turns out that I can eat goat and sheep milk products, including Goat Cheese! I don’t know why I had never tried Goat Cheese before, but OMG I love that stuff! Thank goodness I can still eat some sort of cheese.

Hubby and I try to eat salads and we used to get the prebagged Caesar salad mix. Since I’m LI, that wouldn’t work anymore so we had to come up with a substitute. This salad has been through a few revisions and we finally found a version that we both LOVE. We eat this salad almost every night.

Super Salad (by ME!) – 4 WW pts – makes 3 servings
1 bag of spring mixed greens
1 granny smith apple – chopped
3 Tbsp of sliced almonds
1/8 cup dried cranberries
1 oz Goat Cheese
6 Tbsp Trader Joe’s Italian Dressing

Mix everything in a big bowl and serve!

I also make this to take for lunch. I put the chopped apple and salad dressing in a small tupperware bowl. The dressing keeps the apple from browning. I put everything else in another tupperware bowl and voila! No gross soggy leftover lettuce or brown apple.

Note: the dressing makes up the majority of the points, so if you want to go lower, use a different dressing. We just love the TJ’s dressing and at $2/bottle our budget loves it too.

10 Responses to “Roasted Beets, Turnips, and Carrots”

SHERRY MURPHY — February 7, 2013 at 5:40 am

fig vinegar? i am assuming this is the balsamic vinegar?

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:34 am

I fixed the recipe to be consistent. Any dark flavored vinegar that you enjoy would be perfect in this recipe.

Hani@haniela's — February 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This dish sounds delicious, I love roasting veggies.

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Me too. In fact it’s pretty much the only way I prepare veggies…

Liz @ EatingPlaces — February 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love roasted veggies, especially beets! Looks beautiful.

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Beets are one of my favorites too. Can you believe I had never had one until a couple years ago?!?

Mike — October 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I used 4 tbs butter and 4 tbs olive oil.
    Tossed vegatables, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, 2 tsp or so dry sage and 2 tsp or so dry rosemary in large bowl and then spread on two baking sheets.
    Roasted for 30 minutes and then rotated cooking sheets in oven and roasted for another 30 minutes. No stirring required

Added 4 smoked Polish sausages cut into 1″ pieces for last 30 minutes.

Next time I will line cooking sheets with foil to make cleanup simpler.

A real keeper!!

• beantownbaker — October 28th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

What a great addition with the sausages!!

Zanne — March 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I had a beet that was wasting away in the fridge and a lonely turnip too. So I added them and 2 large carrots, all peeled and chunked, into a baking dish. Topped with 2 Tbsp sliced butter, coated with 2 tsp dried sage, half tsp rosemary, salt & pepper. After 1 hour in the oven, stirred, splashed with apple cider vinegar, and served. Very satisfying, and a nice accompaniment to roast chicken. Thanks for sharing!