Deb’s Mom’s Apple Cake

Have you been over to Smitten Kitchen? It’s a seriously drool-inducing food blog that I love. She makes the most amazing things and has some great photographs. And, what makes her even more perfectly hate-inducing is that she has the worlds smallest kitchen. Man, I feel like I have nothing to complain about after seeing her tiny tiny kitchen.

Hopefully I didn’t lose all of you to browse Deb’s blog for hours on end… Back to what I was talking about: Deb’s mom’s Apple Cake. I saw this and knew instantly that it would be a perfect fall cake. And then I found the perfect opportunity to make it. Our cooking club chose cinnamon as the theme this month. I came up with a list of about 8 recipes I wanted to try that highlight cinnamon and then I let Hubby chose which one I should make. He didn’t even have to think about it once he saw this cake.

I wish they had invented a way to share smells through a computer. Maybe some day. All I can tell you is that this cake smells amazing while it’s baking. I ended up baking the cake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I had a hard time telling when it was done. I stuck a knife in it and there was still some gooeyness but I didn’t want to overbake the cake…

(Deb’s) Mom’s Apple Cake – from Smitten Kitchen
Printable Recipe
6 apples, Mom uses McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and chopped – I used 3 McIntosh and 3 Golden Delicious
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons sugar

2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional) – I omitted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube pan. Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean.

By the way, I don’t think a tester would ever come clean from this cake. Do you see that gooey goodness on the top there. That’s half baked dough and it’s amazing. Seriously, the best part of this cake. I checked my cake at an hour, then every 10 minutes. It baked for 1 hour, 20 minutes and it was a little over done on the bottom. I think next time I’ll do it for an hour and ten minutes. I’ll also make three layers of batter and apples. And don’t you worry, I’ll definitely be making this again soon!

26 Responses to “Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam”

thecookingnurse — August 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

What a neat exchange! Your jam flavor sound delish!

stephchows — August 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

oh YUMMMM!!! I love the color!! Peach with vanilla… I think I need to go peach picking this weekend 🙂 As for your Q I’ll answer it here and on my blog. The reason there is no pectin is because raspberries naturally have a very high level of it in them, when I make my raspberry jam (posted yesterday) I only use raspberries and sugar, that’s it! And it gels up without any problem 🙂 As for processing, I say jar it up and boil the jars for 10 minutes and then let them cool overnight like normal. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes!

Jen — August 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm

That makes sense about the raspberries having pectin in them. Thanks for the help for a jam newbie!

Danielle Hawes — August 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Ohhh I want to make this!!

nutmegnanny — August 7, 2009 at 9:29 pm

What a yummy jam! I bet it taste amazing:)

Kevin — August 8, 2009 at 12:48 am

I really like the sound of a peach jam with vanilla bean and bourbon!

Jessica Segarra — August 10, 2009 at 2:56 am

One day soon I really really want to make my own Jam! Yours looks fabulous!

Kerstin — August 11, 2009 at 4:18 am

Wow, what an amazing flavor combo, I’m completely impressed you made your own jam – it looks fabulous!

Anna — August 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Thank you for the inspiration, it came out yummy!

Christine — September 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hello Jen! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a actually cool Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam recipe. Keep it up and I may see you on Food Network one day. By the way, did you know you can place more Foodista widget? A friend of mine placed proper Foodista widget at the end of her latest blogs and the numbers of her readers increased. Interesting isn’t it?

Squeaky — October 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

It’s too late for peaches (I made a batch of this with peaches, and wanted to make a second, but I waited too long), so I tried asian pears. It’s a little boozier tasting, but delicious!

Dave — July 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Just made this with some fantastic peaches. Wow, winning recipe.

Amy — June 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I made this jam last summer. My family has been begging for more. This is their all time favorite jam that I made. Can’t wait till the peaches are ripe to mix up a few batches. Thank you!!!

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. I make this jam every year when peaches are in season.

Aurora — August 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

Just made this, and OMG is it good!! I used southern comfort, and scraped the seeds out of my vanilla bean into the jam. One of the best jams I have ever made! Thanks for the recipe! I put the used vanilla bean into 8oz of southern comfort, might be good in a couple of weeks! Just cant bear to throw away the rest of the vanilla bean.

• beantownbaker — August 6th, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

So glad you enjoyed this! It’s one of my favorite jam recipes ever.

Denise — August 28, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi! Can’t wait to try this jam! Is there a reason you used low-sugar pectin instead of regular?

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

That’s what the recipe called for. In general, when it comes to pectin, I follow the recipe and don’t deviate from what it says…

Gatorman — October 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

This recipe sounds great! I have to go out for a liquor run tomorrow(Son getting married) and peaches are still in the stores. I was looking for a good(and different) peach jam recipe. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — October 29th, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

This is one of my favorite jam recipes. I make it every year at the end of summer while peaches are really ripe here in the midwest!

Brighid45 — July 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

This is a fantastic recipe! Made it last year and the first batch disappeared so fast, two more got made right away 🙂 I’m just about to start on this year’s first batch. My only suggestion would be this: if you’re using a stockpot for canning the half-pints/pints and not a water-bath canner, put some butter knives on the bottom of the pot so the jars don’t make direct contact with the floor. The knives act in the same way as a rack does, to reduce the chance that a jar might crack or even break.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

Great tip. Thanks!

FancyApril — August 21, 2015 at 9:38 am

I made this last night, the best peach jam I have ever tasted. I brought a small jar to work and everyone has fallen in love!

Linda Riccardo Henderson — June 17, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I don’t drink but would love to try recipe, someone promised to share bourbon for recipe and at the last minute gave me Jim beam whisky instead. I reviewed how the spirits are made…thoughts about the substitution. Thank you love your site

Scott Anderson — October 5, 2016 at 8:50 am

Jim Beam would be fine – it’s a nuance, not a strong “flavor”. This is an amazing jam that won’t disappoint…

Dawn — July 9, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Wow! Just made this jam, & it is amazing. Will definitely be making this yearly.