An Apple A Day – Homemade Applesauce – revisited

Rori’s story is amazing. She had a stroke a year ago and created a blogging event to commemorate the occasion – An Apple A Day. Did you know that eating apples can help prevent strokes? I didn’t. Even more of a reason to eat them! This applesauce will definitely help hubby get a serving of apples in every day!

I made cranberry applesauce for potato pancakes last year. Since then I’ve been making homemade applesauce almost every week. Hubby loves it. I make a big batch and it’s usually gone within a couple days. I’ve perfected the applesauce so that it’s not overly cranberry-ie.

Homemade applesauce – by ME!
8-10 apples (I use Golden Delicious)
1 can whole cranberries
apple cider (or other juice)
water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Core and cube the apples. I leave the skin on, but you can peel them if you want. Put cubed apples into a very large pot. Add the cranberries. Fill the can once with fruit juice (I use apple cider) and pour over apples. Fill can with water one or two times and pour over apples.

Turn on heat to medium. Cover apples and allow to cook until apples are softened, stirring every couple of minutes.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Turn off heat and allow applesauce to cool to room temperature.

8 Responses to “Strawberry Shortcake Cookies”

hannah! — June 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

im so sad it has come to an end too! anyway these must be pretty tasty

lovestoeat — June 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm

mmmmm those are one of our faves..i made them a TON last year..soo good
    yours look great

Amy of Sing For Your Supper — June 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

These look delicious!! I bet they’d go over great at a 4th of July party! I loved your strawberry week- such a great idea!! 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 1:43 am

These look great! We definitely don’t need 3 dozen though and wouldn’t want so many to go bad. Do you think they’d freeze well? I was thinking of doing what you did with freezing the chocolate chip dough a few weeks back, but I’m not sure if the strawberries throw a wrench into the mix.

Jen — June 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Sarah,

I’m not sure if these will freeze well. They were definitely best the day they were baked. Nice and crispy like a shortcake. The second day they were a bit more soft. I’d definitely be nervous to freeze them, but if you try it, let me know how it goes.

squirrelbread — June 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

just made these, and we loved them! a nice little hot weather treat.

cheers,

*heather*

A Bluebonnet in Beantown — June 19, 2010 at 2:47 am

Yum! I’m planning to take my kidlets strawberry picking for the first time. This looks like a great way to use some berries.

Gena

Amy — June 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I made mine canelle-style so they look like little pink footballs and sprinkled them with turbinado sugar…SUPER YUMMY!