An Apple A Day – Homemade Applesauce – revisited

Rori’s story is amazing. She had a stroke a year ago and created a blogging event to commemorate the occasion – An Apple A Day. Did you know that eating apples can help prevent strokes? I didn’t. Even more of a reason to eat them! This applesauce will definitely help hubby get a serving of apples in every day!

I made cranberry applesauce for potato pancakes last year. Since then I’ve been making homemade applesauce almost every week. Hubby loves it. I make a big batch and it’s usually gone within a couple days. I’ve perfected the applesauce so that it’s not overly cranberry-ie.

Homemade applesauce – by ME!
8-10 apples (I use Golden Delicious)
1 can whole cranberries
apple cider (or other juice)
water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Core and cube the apples. I leave the skin on, but you can peel them if you want. Put cubed apples into a very large pot. Add the cranberries. Fill the can once with fruit juice (I use apple cider) and pour over apples. Fill can with water one or two times and pour over apples.

Turn on heat to medium. Cover apples and allow to cook until apples are softened, stirring every couple of minutes.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Turn off heat and allow applesauce to cool to room temperature.

9 Responses to “Lemon Bars”

teresacooks — March 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Everytime I make anything out of this book I screw up a step. I’m starting to blame the book – maybe it has too many steps? I’ve had it for years, and I don’t mess up other recipes. But with this book. . . everytime I look at the recipe while whatever I’ve made is in the oven I go “oh no.”
    Let us know what else you cook and like out of the book. Love your blog.

SimplySweeter — March 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

These look so DELICIOUS! My mouth is watering!! Thank you!!

http://www. simplysweeter.blogspot.com

yumventures — March 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

These are my favorite type of bars! And I agree, I could eat lemon curd all day!

I also often don’t have the right size pan for a recipe, I guess I need to stock up 🙂

We Are Not Martha — March 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I love lemon bars and yours look absolutely delightful! I’m a huge fan of the entire Cook’s Illustrated brand and have been meaning to pick that book up for a while!

Sues

Memória — March 26, 2010 at 5:53 pm

You’re so lucky to have won that cookbook!! If I would have known about that giveaway, I would have signed up for sure. I’ve been coveting that book for a long time.

These lemon bars look so yummy!!! I love lemon bars. I really enjoyed this bar series! Thank you.

Kelly — March 27, 2010 at 12:54 am

Oh you saved the best for last with lemon bars, yum!

You are so right about spring teasing us. Very annoying!

birdutmasali — March 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I lıke lemon bars !!

wonderfull lemon bars

happy weekens.

Ali — March 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been in a lemony mood as of late. This helps take some of the edge off.

nutmegnanny — April 5, 2010 at 11:28 pm

What delicious bars! I’m so glad you like the book. Now I need to own it…haha.