Crockpot Tamale Pie Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

Last year I hit the 5 year mark at my company. As a thank you, you get to choose a gift. The choices for 5 years aren’t that exciting to most people. But I was excited to see a crockpot on the list (Hubby chose a carry-on suitcase for his). When Hubby and I moved in together, his mother gave us her 20+ year old crockpot. She said she never used it. We have gone through phases over the past 5 years of living together. Some years we used it a lot, others not so much. But with our upcoming kitchen demolition and renovation, we knew the crockpot would start getting more use.

Hubby already broke in the new crockpot for another batch of Ropa Veija the day after I brought it home. But this is the first NEW recipe we’ve made in it.

Crockpot Tamale Pie – from A Year of Crockpotting – serves 6

1 can drained corn
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup diced onion – I used about 1/3 cup
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese – I used Veggie Shreds Cheddar Flavored Cheese

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Dump in the filling ingredients–cheese, too!– and stir well to distribute the spices. You will not be able to stir this again, so please check to see that the spices aren’t in a clump anywhere.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula if needed.

Cover and cook on low for 4-7 hours or on high for 2-4. I cooked on high and it took about 2.5 hours.

17 Responses to “Friday Faves – The Small Boston Kitchen makes Cranberry Risotto Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms”

Lauren — January 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m not a huge mushroom fan, but the cranberry risotto sounds absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the idea, Katie :).

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

What a great recipe Katie!

Daisy — January 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I am in awe of your description of mushrooms. that recipe is awesome and so is the idea to cook them in butter and red wine! if non mushroom lovers are not converted after this post, there is no help for them!!

Erica — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Jennifer — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I am a huge mushroom lover. This recipe sounds wonderful!

In and Around Town — January 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am a HUGE fan of mushrooms, I put them in everything! This will probably be dinner tonight!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — January 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m definitely with you in the first camp, though I will tell you – I’ve converted the boyfriend into a semi-mushroom lover, so maybe there is a person who lies a bit in between after all! This looks heavenly.

Smitten Sugar — January 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I am definitely not a mushroom lover but this recipe looks amazing!

Megan — January 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Katie can make these for me anytime! Great recipe and great guest post!

Josie — January 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

OMG this combines so many of my favorite things into one dish! I’ve already added it to next week’s menu. Thanks so much for introducing me to a fun new blog!

Melissa — January 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’m on the verge of being a mushroom lover – when raw the texture creeps me out but I’ve discovered I love the flavor and like them when cooked. I would love to eat this dish!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? That can only mean the risotto must be extra creamy!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? I think that just means this risotto must be extra creamy!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Jen for including me in your Friday Faves and for saying such nice things about my writing! This dish was fun to make and was really good on a cold winter night. Thanks all for the comments! Even those from the mushroom haters 🙂

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Aren’t portobello mushrooms the best? So many different things you can do with them!

John at BOS — January 9, 2011 at 2:14 am

What more Can I say, a combination of my favorite ingredients… Mushroom and risotto! It’s nice to see a lot of mushroom recipe’s this past few days.

Kerstin — January 10, 2011 at 5:03 am

What a creative recipe, I love it! Definitely the perfect way to kick off your cool Friday Favs feature 🙂