Crockpot Tamale Pie Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

Last year I hit the 5 year mark at my company. As a thank you, you get to choose a gift. The choices for 5 years aren’t that exciting to most people. But I was excited to see a crockpot on the list (Hubby chose a carry-on suitcase for his). When Hubby and I moved in together, his mother gave us her 20+ year old crockpot. She said she never used it. We have gone through phases over the past 5 years of living together. Some years we used it a lot, others not so much. But with our upcoming kitchen demolition and renovation, we knew the crockpot would start getting more use.

Hubby already broke in the new crockpot for another batch of Ropa Veija the day after I brought it home. But this is the first NEW recipe we’ve made in it.

Crockpot Tamale Pie – from A Year of Crockpotting – serves 6

1 can drained corn
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup diced onion – I used about 1/3 cup
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese – I used Veggie Shreds Cheddar Flavored Cheese

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Dump in the filling ingredients–cheese, too!– and stir well to distribute the spices. You will not be able to stir this again, so please check to see that the spices aren’t in a clump anywhere.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula if needed.

Cover and cook on low for 4-7 hours or on high for 2-4. I cooked on high and it took about 2.5 hours.

11 Responses to “Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans”

Lauren — November 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

This dish sounds great! I love sweet potatoes and black beans together, and the cilantro and lime sound like the perfect flavor additions.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

My fiance isn’t the biggest fan of beans so I try to “sneak” them into dishes and this looks a great recipe to try out!

Eliana — November 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I absolutely adore sweet potatoes but wud have never thought of flavoring them with cilantro and lime. This sounds like it would turn out super delicious.

Kerstin — November 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm

We always have black beans in the house too and they are just perfect with sweet potatoes too – yum!

becksterslaboratory — November 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

Oh dear, I never thought of pairing these 4 fave flavors together. Amazing : )

Nutmeg Nanny — November 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yum! I love black beans and I also love that they are super good for you. I think this would be an awesome quick weeknight dinner!

tobias cooks! — November 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

perfect combo of tastes. I would love to try this one.

Boston Food Diary — November 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Mmmm what a refreshing twist on sweet potatoes! These sound hearty and delicious!

Carrie — November 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

What a great recipe and beautiful photo. Black beans and sweet potatoes (and cilantro, for that matter!) are a couple of my favorite foods, so I know that I’d love this!

lacasitainspirada — November 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I love black beans in salads. This sounds great!
    And great pictures, too!

robinakagoatmom — February 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Made a half recipe and loved it hot or cold! Took to a work pot luck and a hit with everyone. Thanks for another great recipe.