12 Days of Cookies – Candy Cane & Mint Kiss Cookies

Oh my goodness. These cookies are amazing. I thought I was getting cookie-d out but not with these. The chocolate cookie part is so fudgey and brownie like. I would definitely make these again, even just as chocolate drop cookies without the kisses.

I first went to find mint kisses in the store and they didn’t have any, so I picked up the candy cane kisses. Then I was at a different store yesterday and they had the mint truffle kisses. Both of these kisses are great. The candy cane ones are like white chocolate with candy cane flavoring and bits. The mint truffle are similar to an Andes mint with green mint filling on the inside.

I did make a half batch out of this because I was alarmed by the 6 eggs called for in the recipe. I still got 44 cookies! I used my cookie scoop to portion the dough. After the first 2 dozen came out of the oven, I didn’t like how they looked, so for the rest, I portioned the dough and then rolled into a ball with my hands. This helped to create a smoother looking cookie. But like I said these are amazing. I had to send them to work with Hubby to prevent myself from eating the entire batch on my own!!

Candy Cane Kiss Cookies – from Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness – makes ~8 dozen
16 ounces/ 1 pound bittersweet morsels
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
candy cane or mint kisses, unwrapped and frozen

Melt bittersweet morsels, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Stir often and heat just until it is melted. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand for about 30 minutes.

Add eggs one at a time to chocolate mixture. Stirring until fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pour that into the chocolate mixture. Finally, add the chocolate semisweet morsels.

Refrigerate for at least an hour. Scoop out with a cookie scoop. Drop ball (or roll into a ball with your hands) onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 F oven for about ten minutes. Remove from heat, immediately press kiss into cookie. If you don’t mind them melted, you can return to the oven for one minute more (I did not do this). Otherwise leave them in the cookie and let it rest on cookie sheet for one minute and then transfer to a wire rack. You can also put the kisses in the freezer so they will not melt as fast.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs
Day 7: Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
Day 8: Snickerdoodles

10 Responses to “Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies”

Linds — November 25, 2008 at 1:59 am

Oh my goodness, those look AMAZING!

Ingrid — November 25, 2008 at 3:07 am

Wow, that’s a lot of brownies. They do look heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~ingrid

~Amber~ — November 25, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Wow, these look amazing!

Jen — November 25, 2008 at 5:48 pm

These are amazing! And they’re very chocolatey. Definitely need a glass of milk with them 🙂

Katie — December 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Whoa! Those look insanely decadent and delicious!

Glenice — February 27, 2010 at 4:50 am

Hi Jan. These Orio Crunch Brownies look delicious and I would like to try an make them. Being in Australia the recipe needs some clarification for me. How much butter is in a stick? We get butter in 1kg and 500 gm packs… Thanks so much. Just found your blog today and oh! oh!, everything looks so nice. I would like to leave my email address for you: jong2505@hotmail.com

Thanks ever so much…
    Glenice

Sarah — April 13, 2010 at 1:20 am

These look so great! Can I eliminate the instant coffee or is it essential to the taste? I am making these for my 3-year-old niece’s birthday party, and she LOVES chocolate, but I don’t think she should have something with coffee in it. What are your thoughts?

Jen — April 13, 2010 at 11:59 am

Sarah – The coffe in the brownies is there to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. It is not necessary, you could definitely take it out without any issues. I hope you enjoy the brownies!

Sarah — April 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Sorry to be a pest with questions, but what kind of pan is the size you mentioned? I did a search online and I got two results – a jelly roll pan and also a much deeper roasting pan. The brownies in your photos look thick but I’m not sure if I need to pick up a new pan. Thanks for all of your help!!! 🙂

Jen — April 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

Sarah – Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The pan I used is 11x17x1. So it’s not very deep. I always call it a jelly roll pan. Hope that helps!