12 Days of Cookies – Candy Cane & Mint Kiss Cookies

Oh my goodness. These cookies are amazing. I thought I was getting cookie-d out but not with these. The chocolate cookie part is so fudgey and brownie like. I would definitely make these again, even just as chocolate drop cookies without the kisses.

I first went to find mint kisses in the store and they didn’t have any, so I picked up the candy cane kisses. Then I was at a different store yesterday and they had the mint truffle kisses. Both of these kisses are great. The candy cane ones are like white chocolate with candy cane flavoring and bits. The mint truffle are similar to an Andes mint with green mint filling on the inside.

I did make a half batch out of this because I was alarmed by the 6 eggs called for in the recipe. I still got 44 cookies! I used my cookie scoop to portion the dough. After the first 2 dozen came out of the oven, I didn’t like how they looked, so for the rest, I portioned the dough and then rolled into a ball with my hands. This helped to create a smoother looking cookie. But like I said these are amazing. I had to send them to work with Hubby to prevent myself from eating the entire batch on my own!!

Candy Cane Kiss Cookies – from Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness – makes ~8 dozen
16 ounces/ 1 pound bittersweet morsels
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
candy cane or mint kisses, unwrapped and frozen

Melt bittersweet morsels, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Stir often and heat just until it is melted. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand for about 30 minutes.

Add eggs one at a time to chocolate mixture. Stirring until fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pour that into the chocolate mixture. Finally, add the chocolate semisweet morsels.

Refrigerate for at least an hour. Scoop out with a cookie scoop. Drop ball (or roll into a ball with your hands) onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 F oven for about ten minutes. Remove from heat, immediately press kiss into cookie. If you don’t mind them melted, you can return to the oven for one minute more (I did not do this). Otherwise leave them in the cookie and let it rest on cookie sheet for one minute and then transfer to a wire rack. You can also put the kisses in the freezer so they will not melt as fast.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs
Day 7: Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
Day 8: Snickerdoodles

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!